TRIAX Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 10:40 PM
BWST
Got Data?
Received 527 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally Posted by Wes444
What's with the pinecones?
You wanna step outside? I'll show you what those pinecones are for...

Ok seriously, my wife collects them from our various camping destinations, and puts them on the wall there. I prefer to collect 7.3 parts pulled off the rig and put them on the wall.

Darn it, Wes, you called it right. Handling a buc...ahem pail of oil is not a big deal. I'm glad you suggested it.

Old 01-19-2021, 05:06 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 2,975 Likes on 1,964 Posts
Ah I see. It's a technical term.

Old 01-19-2021, 06:40 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,516 Likes on 2,874 Posts
Originally Posted by FinnishStroker
FYI
Every single 5 gallon round bucket,like that one pictured above,comes with an built in spout..🤓
Pail... it is a pail... Apparently... Thank you for that information though, I and others will appreciate it in the future.

Originally Posted by BWST
You wanna step outside? I'll show you what those pinecones are for...

Ok seriously, my wife collects them from our various camping destinations, and puts them on the wall there. I prefer to collect 7.3 parts pulled off the rig and put them on the wall.

Darn it, Wes, you called it right. Handling a buc...ahem pail of oil is not a big deal. I'm glad you suggested it.
That was pretty funny Jeff. My wife does a similar thing with rocks and seashells. Wesley is full of all sorts of good advice. If you fellas only knew how many text messages I have sent him about wood turning stuff.

Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob
Ah I see. It's a technical term.
Come on... Let's not get scientific and fancy using "technical" terminology from the interwebs, that is just nonsense.

Pail it is and thank you for tracking that down.

I will probably go with the 4x one gallon jugs though as I am not 100% sold in the Triax yet. I am still considering TSC 15w40, Schaeffer's OTR, Rotella T6 5w40, etc going forward and long term use. The words from jstihl are encouraging and I look forward to what Jeff has to say. I would prefer not to have a "pail" to dispose of with an exiled gallon left over if I can help it. I have enough crap on the floor of my garage already waiting for the truck to arrive and go under the knife.

Jeff, many people will be looking for your "impressions" and thank you for not starting another oil thread. emoji...emoji...

Old 01-19-2021, 07:44 AM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,150 Likes on 654 Posts
I don't know about you, but I've repurposed more 18.73L bu.... pails, than 1 gallon oil jugs

Old 01-19-2021, 08:19 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
I don't know about you, but I've repurposed more 18.73L bu.... pails, than 1 gallon oil jugs
This for sure. They make a great trash bucket in the bed of the truck. Let's see....used oil container for taking in, storage of spare parts, wash bucket, and so many other uses.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:44 AM
Brandonpdx
Cargo Master
Received 287 Likes on 240 Posts
As long as you pour a gallon off the top first...or 5 quarts if using the stock size filter and don’t touch the HPOP, it’s probably not that big of a deal since you already know you’re pouring it all in and don’t have to let up. Plus it’s when a container is full-full is when it’s most likely to make a mess tipping it over.

I’d probably use the loose quart to prefill the oil filter because why not.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:45 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Agreed!

Although, I already have a short stack of buckets/pails that I use for hauling/mixing concrete, mortar, rocks, dirt, etc... I store empty gallon jugs in the shed in order to fill them and take them into the parts stores for oil recycling. Then just replenish the stock with the jugs I just emptied. For my weak and lazy ***, it is just easier to lug a few gallons into the store than a large pail (proper scientific terminology utilized). One of the parts stores requires the oil be poured into the large container and the opening is about eye level and 8" in diameter, so pouring a 5 gallon pail of used oil can get messy. Ask me how I know...

I don't use my repurposed pails/buckets to store trash or anything, I put trash in the trash cans at fuel stops, my garage or another appropriate place for trash.

To each their own though and I commend you for your recycling/repurposing efforts.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:49 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 2,975 Likes on 1,964 Posts
One of the gems I found during my investigation into bucket vs pail:
”Is he about to kick the bucket? He’s looking a little pail. “

Old 01-19-2021, 08:51 AM
Brandonpdx
Cargo Master
Received 287 Likes on 240 Posts
Originally Posted by BWST
Tried to grow a pair, but didn't quite get there. I cheated and poured a gallon off the top of the 5 gal bucket to a 1 gallon container using the tailgate method, then put a moving blanket on the engine and filled the crankcase with the remaining 4 gallons. I left the oil filter empty, and sucked the HPOP reservoir dry for this change. I keep forgetting oil is not as heavy as water. The pail was not that heavy - I thought it worked well and was very controllable.

As you'd expect, it took a couple of 15 second cranks to get it to fire up, but it also gave me a chance to listen to the starter and see how strong the batteries were.

I'll drive it hard to get the rest of the air out of the oil system before I take another sound reading. I haven't noticed a big change in idle noise yet.
seems like it takes a couple hundred miles to get the new stuff circulated up into the HPO system. It circulates but not as fast as the low pressure part. This has to explain why the oil on the dipstick stays clean for longer than you’d think it would were it mixing right away with 3 quarts of dirty stuff.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:56 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob
One of the gems I found during my investigation into bucket vs pail:
”Is he about to kick the bucket? He’s looking a little pail. “
Emoji... emoji...

Old 01-19-2021, 09:34 AM
beachcamperf250
More Turbo
Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
Put a contractor trash bag in it and some sand and one of these, great if you have kids/wives that always have to pee while off grid.

Old 01-19-2021, 09:59 AM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,158 Posts
I expected some heated debate in an oil thread but figured it would be about the oil or additives or such. Never expected folks to have such strong feelings on the containers it comes in.

BTW I could use a couple more 5 gallon “pails” for my used oil containment. Believe it or not I lost one of mine to rust last year.

Old 01-19-2021, 11:00 AM
BWST
Got Data?
Received 527 Likes on 353 Posts
Now I have a "pail potty" illustration I can use (thanks beachcamperf250!).

Brandon - good to know on the HPO circulation. I've got some driving to do.

I did like pouring the oil in all at once - just rotated the pail to lower the spout until she was mostly empty, then tipped up the last of it. I'll keep the HPOP reservoir full next time, and pour off 5 quarts ( I have a 5 quart clean oil container). I guess I'll keep the current 5 gal pail with 1 gal of Triax around as a collection point for the pour off from the next few oil changes.

Old 01-19-2021, 11:21 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
(Sarcasm on)

At least the "pail potty" idea combined with the left over oil residue would provide exceptional lubricity properties for removal of the "crap and/or crap bag". This surely is due to additives like Boron, ZDDP etc...

The real question is... What does a decibel meter read regarding Triax pail vs. Home Depot bucket while it is in use as a "pail potty".

(/sarcasm off)

Old 01-19-2021, 03:05 PM
FinnishStroker
Cargo Master
Received 783 Likes on 482 Posts
Are you all sure,that jug is just a jug?

Quick Reply: TRIAX Impressions