Sponsored by: DP Tuner

TRIAX Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 08:31 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by MJ79
To be somewhat on topic I will probably be giving Triax a try at my next oil change. Been running Delo for as long as I can remember.
I don't mind off-topic at all. Some will request to have posts moved or threads redirected because it doesn't fit their small worldview, but that's for commie thinking. Not for this excellent forum.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:38 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,516 Likes on 2,874 Posts
Originally Posted by jstihl
Still curious what BWST thinks.....
We are as well and look forward to his review/impression.

Originally Posted by RacinJasonWV
@Hootr what were you running previously that you saw an improvement when going to Triax 5w-40?
Good question. Thanks for bringing this to the public stage for all of us to learn.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:57 PM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 2,975 Likes on 1,964 Posts
Originally Posted by Wes444
Not all jugs are "just" jugs....

You can’t use a motorboat with that. You need a full on landing craft!!

Old 01-20-2021, 10:36 PM
Brandonpdx
Cargo Master
Received 287 Likes on 240 Posts
Found this, and thought it was pretty funny. Another FTE oil thread!!! - YouTube
The part where his hand shakes with rage as he peels those glasses off kills me every time.

Old 01-20-2021, 10:46 PM
Brandonpdx
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by jstihl
That would be great, I would be interested to see how the oil analysis turns out. Triax has some pretty crazy claims on how often you will need to change your oil when using their product. We shall see....
Crazy like how? I am starting to understand that miles don’t necessarily tell the whole story. I’ve had good UOAs on high mileage OCI’s and bad ones on 7,000 mile OCI’s. Throw in different brands and viscosities and it gets even trickier.

Old 01-20-2021, 11:06 PM
MJ79
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BBslider001
I don't mind off-topic at all. Some will request to have posts moved or threads redirected because it doesn't fit their small worldview, but that's for commie thinking. Not for this excellent forum.
Lol perfect all is well then.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:26 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 2,975 Likes on 1,964 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandonpdx
Crazy like how? I am starting to understand that miles don’t necessarily tell the whole story. I’ve had good UOAs on high mileage OCI’s and bad ones on 7,000 mile OCI’s. Throw in different brands and viscosities and it gets even trickier.
Do you plan to do a mid-OCI UOA on the Schaeffer OTR? I am following your experience with great interest.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:33 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
The part where his hand shakes with rage as he peels those glasses off kills me every time.
My favorite part is when he throws the pens down at the map and yells "GROW A PAIR" reminiscent of Wes444 telling me/us to grow a pair when discussing the pail pump vs. manual lift of oil pail to pour. Second favorite is the woman consoling the other woman saying "10 paragraphs"...

Lol perfect all is well then.
If we try hard enough, this will in fact evolve into not just another oil thread... More pictures of anime and "off topic but on topic" things are required though to pull it from the depths of oil thread purgatory.

Kind of like my "NOT another turbo thread" which turned into a "discuss anything" thread with 2,098 posts 214,459 views since 2 May 2018. I too do not mind if the thread veers off course as there is often something to learn in what someone has to say.

Next turbo upgrade is this bad boy... It has a 9999.0 A/R though... So I need some bigger injectors for sure...

Old 01-21-2021, 09:31 AM
Brandonpdx
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob
Do you plan to do a mid-OCI UOA on the Schaeffer OTR? I am following your experience with great interest.
I’ve only ever sent samples in when it was dumped out and changed. I’ve had short runs of around 7k and long ones of 18k. They upped the price to around $40 per shot if you want the TBN tested so that would get a little expensive. If trying to hyper mile an OCI with an Amsoil bypass it would make more sense to send a sample in at 10k or so.

This is last one I got using Delvac 1 5W40 was a little disheartening...lead was high but I have some thoughts about that. Schaeffer has been in there for about 1200 miles or so and believe the truck likes it a little better than T6 or D1. I will leave it in there for 10k or so and do another run with it since I have 2 gallons left over from the case I bought. And of course it will be tested.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:41 AM
BWST
Got Data?
Received 527 Likes on 353 Posts
It's taking me awhile to get some miles on the rig to get an impression - might be a few days yet. Need a cold morning to test for no-romps too.

Makes sense about phone mics being less than optimal for measuring sound levels accurately. I was hoping to get a relative change in the reading from the Decibel X app, like what Byron did, and not pay much attention to the actual value. I don't have a way to calibrate it to a known accurate SPL meter. Really hoping I can just hear the difference. I have what I think is a noisy torque converter at idle, so that masks some of the benefit.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:45 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by BWST
It's taking me awhile to get some miles on the rig to get an impression - might be a few days yet. Need a cold morning to test for no-romps too.

Makes sense about phone mics being less than optimal for measuring sound levels accurately. I was hoping to get a relative change in the reading from the Decibel X app, like what Byron did, and not pay much attention to the actual value. I don't have a way to calibrate it to a known accurate SPL meter. Really hoping I can just hear the difference. I have what I think is a noisy torque converter at idle, so that masks some of the benefit.
I don't really care about the optimal performance of phone mics. My app was simply to show there was a noticeable, albeit, small difference while removing the accusations of conjecture. Splitting hairs isn't my forte LOL. It is what it is.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:49 AM
beachcamperf250
More Turbo
Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
Just a heads up that Amazon has updated and will have the 5 gallon PAILS of 5w 40 in stock on Feb. 2nd for $114.26 Free shipping.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:52 AM
FinnishStroker
Cargo Master
Received 783 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally Posted by RacinJasonWV
@Hootr what were you running previously that you saw an improvement when going to Triax 5w-40?
Me also want to hear this?

Old 01-21-2021, 09:58 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I’ve only ever sent samples in when it was dumped out and changed. I’ve had short runs of around 7k and long ones of 18k. They upped the price to around $40 per shot if you want the TBN tested so that would get a little expensive. If trying to hyper mile an OCI with an Amsoil bypass it would make more sense to send a sample in at 10k or so.

This is last one I got using Delvac 1 5W40 was a little disheartening...lead was high but I have some thoughts about that. Schaeffer has been in there for about 1200 miles or so and believe the truck likes it a little better than T6 or D1. I will leave it in there for 10k or so and do another run with it since I have 2 gallons left over from the case I bought. And of course it will be tested.
Several FTE'rs are looking forward to your thoughts on the Schaeffer's OTR and how it treats you. It is quit a price hike per gallon from Rotella T6, but if we can extend the OCI out twice as long, then the price difference is a wash and the "labor" or time involved puts the owner in the positive.

Also, less playing around with a pail, bucket or jugs...

Originally Posted by BWST

Jeff, turns out I have 2500 miles left before my OCI is due. So, I will be standing by and looking for your "impressions/review" and further impressions/reviews from jstihl before jumping on the bandwagon. The bandwagon appears to be a good, sturdy and fun wagon, but someone like me needs to be pretty sure about where I send my pennies to. I trust your judgement and the words from jstihl and enjoy making informed decisions based on others experiences that they share with us here on the FTE.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:11 AM
Brandonpdx
Cargo Master
I believe what product is dumped in or how many miles you run it is only part of the story as far as how the motor is wearing. I have had good reports with T6, a good report with the old formula Schaeffer 9000 and a not so great report with the old 9000 (elevated Pb) How the truck was driven and used and ambient temperature and motor temp had a lot to do with it I believe. TBN was never a problem on any report. The oil always has life left when dumped out. (But that doesn’t tell the whole story either.) D1 has a very high TBN of over 12 or so and is billed as an extended drain product. It’s a good oil as well but the motor saw harsh conditions that I believe would accelerate bearing wear with almost any product. As I said I have some thoughts on that.

Quick Reply: TRIAX Impressions