Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

TRIAX Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 03:01 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,150 Likes on 654 Posts
I had an oil analysis done on my last triax change. Milage was around 9600, with 8k of that being towing our 5th wheel cross country and done local trips with my daily work drive thrown in. Should have changed it sooner but life and death happened. I'll shoot for 7k next time unless these darn Covid restrictions don't let up and we don't get to leave the state for another year.

Old 01-21-2021, 04:16 PM
Hootr
Tuned
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RacinJasonWV
@Hootr what were you running previously that you saw an improvement when going to Triax 5w-40?
I was using the Rotella T6 5w40 for a couple years before the I tried the Triax. I was happy with the Rotella also, but since there was such a noticeable difference that was much quieter I stuck with the Triax. Hoping the oil analysis brings good news.

Old 01-21-2021, 05:29 PM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Hootr
I was using the Rotella T6 5w40 for a couple years before the I tried the Triax. I was happy with the Rotella also, but since there was such a noticeable difference that was much quieter I stuck with the Triax. Hoping the oil analysis brings good news.
Thank you for the response.

Uh oh.
I run T6, and get it at a discount at my local parts store... I wonder if I could talk them into carrying Triax? I say in jest because the demand would be pretty small in our little town. They were actually a gallon “pail” short of enough T6 for a whole oil change recently.

Old 01-21-2021, 08:40 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
While the Triax seems to be really good oil, I don't think anyone is taking life off of their rig by using T6 or Motorcraft. I'd rest easy if it were me and I had a line on T6 or Triax becomes difficult to get.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:39 PM
renoduckman
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Been following this.
Be interesting to try it for a couple oil changes. But not being able to run down and pick up some locally is a turn off.

Old 01-22-2021, 11:54 AM
materthegreater
More Turbo
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
How many of you guys checked to make sure your oil isn't expired before using it? That could affect it's performance. I'm guessing those of you that hoard TP ...ahem... I mean T6 might have some that's past it's "use by" date.

Old 01-22-2021, 09:24 PM
materthegreater
More Turbo
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Seriously, though, why does oil have a use by date?

Old 01-22-2021, 09:34 PM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by materthegreater
Probably the same reason bottled water does...

Maybe it’s not the oil that expires. Perhaps the pail will go bad first.

Old 01-22-2021, 09:42 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,150 Likes on 654 Posts
So when my parents bought their neighbor's farm to add to their acreage one of the small buildings had a couple gallons of oil in it. In quart size. Unopened. Round cylinders. Cardboard containers. Think dad will ever use it in an engine? He put the pretty Harley Davidson ones and some other nice looking ones on a shelf in his shop for display. He might use some of the dented ones as cutting fluid if push comes to shove one day. But yes, oil can expire. Like brake fluid, once the container is opened it's absorbing moisture. Even thru the walls of the container. And the additive packages in the base oil won't stay good forever

Old 01-23-2021, 07:14 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,515 Likes on 2,874 Posts
Originally Posted by materthegreater
Performing a quick Google search it stated that "synthetic" oil should be used before 5 years is up. Although, I remember Adam (Z31Freakify) found some old new stock oil in his workplace shop that was something like 18 years old. He opened it up, had an analysis performed on it and ran it after it came back as brand new and good to use oil.

I don't know why a bottle of oil has an expiration date on it, Wesley has some good ideas and maybe someone else in the industry might have a few more, if there are any.

Originally Posted by RacinJasonWV
Maybe it’s not the oil that expires. Perhaps the pail will go bad first.

Old 01-23-2021, 02:46 PM
jstihl
Cargo Master
Received 324 Likes on 265 Posts
Originally Posted by Wes444
I had an oil analysis done on my last triax change. Milage was around 9600, with 8k of that being towing our 5th wheel cross country and done local trips with my daily work drive thrown in. Should have changed it sooner but life and death happened. I'll shoot for 7k next time unless these darn Covid restrictions don't let up and we don't get to leave the state for another year.
That is pretty impressive, how did the oil analysis turn out? Was there still life left in the oil?

Old 01-25-2021, 08:37 AM
Khan
Laughing Gas
Received 197 Likes on 130 Posts
Got ahold of George this morning. Everyone is working from home, so emails may go answered on their web page. George is getting with customer service to make sure they're on top of it.

I asked George about running their Agra Supreme in our applications and it will hold up great.... at low speeds. The oil itself is meant for a low speed high shear application, so this oil will do great for a farm truck, or similar application, but will not hold up for highway use.

For a street truck, the fleet supreme or fleet ultra is the one we want.

Old 01-25-2021, 09:19 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,515 Likes on 2,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Khan
Got ahold of George this morning. Everyone is working from home, so emails may go answered on their web page. George is getting with customer service to make sure they're on top of it.

I asked George about running their Agra Supreme in our applications and it will hold up great.... at low speeds. The oil itself is meant for a low speed high shear application, so this oil will do great for a farm truck, or similar application, but will not hold up for highway use.

For a street truck, the fleet supreme or fleet ultra is the one we want.
Jake, thanks for going the extra mile to get in touch with George and sharing his advice with us. I know you have a lot on your plate right now and my offer to help with transiting to your next life journey stands.

You have my number, don't hesitate to call or text anytime. I know how stressful some of steps you are taking now can be.

Thanks again Jake.

----------------------------------------
Fleet Ultra 15w40 doesn't appear to be any easier to get a hold of than Fleet Supreme 5w40. Although, Fleet Ultra comes in at $17 a gallon when bought as a "PAIL" instead of ~$23 a gallon when bought as a "PAIL".

Fleet Ultra is listed as a synthetic blend, but also qualifies for the Volvo VDS-4.5 specification, which is the "benchmark" according to George at Triax.

Triax Fleet Ultra 15w40

Old 01-25-2021, 10:47 AM
destroy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeing Triax on here made me look into it. Sounds like really good stuff. Only wish we could find it up here in Canada!

We haven’t quite caught on here with widespread availability of motor oil on Amazon either. Not that it would help me any... if I’m lucky I get things on a Friday if I order them on Sunday, sometimes even Monday. 5 days is typical with a 7 day estimate. Blows my mind how long it is with all the other factors. Makes me miss the convenience of the city at times for sure.

Triax isn’t a prime item yet here, but as far as I can tell as of recently T6 is. Beats the best price I can get locally though, that’s for sure.

Old 01-25-2021, 02:20 PM
beachcamperf250
More Turbo
Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
Made the postal lady do some work, she was not happy lugging this box out of the truck. I was not expecting it till next month!

Triax 5w-40

How do you tell the expire date on this? Curiosity more than anything.

Quick Reply: TRIAX Impressions