Anderson Ultimate VS the Pullrite Super light,

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 09:13 PM
GotAll4
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Anderson Ultimate VS the Pullrite Super light,

About done with the mild mods in my 02 F350 dually 7.3. Going to be using it to pull a 30 to 34 foot 5th wheel camper. First on long weekends then in a few years most of the winters down south and out west for months at a time. Been researching hitches and although I was ready to do a B&W I came across these two hitches. For starters I'm favoring the Anderson maybe because I saw it first. However looking to hear the wisdom of the forum to see if anyone here is using them and what your reviews are of them.

I also like the ball mounted on the hitch and not the king pin. The Pull Rite extends the ball lower and it's got to throw the geometry off and put a bit more stress on the frame. Not as much as the goose neck adapter but it is probably there. In ether case I will have to use the rail system. I like the weight savings too VS the B&W.

Old 09-08-2020, 06:19 AM
avf100
Fleet Mechanic
Received 405 Likes on 191 Posts
I can't comment on the Pull Rite because I have no experience with it.
I have the Andersen rail mount hitch and really like it.

Old 09-08-2020, 06:54 AM
Tom in PGH
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ditto. I’ve had it for two towing seasons and really like it. Especially when I take a couple of bolts loose, lift it out of the bed and hang it on the garage wall. Pull the ball and you have a totally flat bed. I have the puck mounted system, but don’t use the pucks, just the ball in the bed.

I turned the red adapter to the rear, which shortened up the entire combo by about 8-9”. I also ensures that the pin box doesn’t touch the bed rails in a tighter turn. I have a Grand Design Reflection 303 and it can clear a tighter turn (cab clearance) than I care to make. I don’t like putting too much stress on the trailer suspension in a tight backing turn. I’d rather just pull up if there is room.

I also got the safety chains, as they are required in a couple of states. Being a former truck driver, hooking up chains just “seemed right”.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:00 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,163 Likes on 1,056 Posts
Can't comment about the Pullrite, but have been using the AU since they first offered it and STILL love it. Being I am a Senior senior member the weight was the first reason I bought it along with getting rid of the terrible chucking of the Reese standard hitch.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:28 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,526 Likes on 1,089 Posts
I think the Anderson would be right up your alley.

Old 09-08-2020, 04:52 PM
Screamingbear
Tuned
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
AUH

I pull my 13000 lb 5th with an aluminum Anderson Ultimate.
It is a great hitch, attaches to the goose neck ball, in or out of the truck in 5 min.
It weighs about 40 lbs, and I hang it on the wall in my garage.
Very easy to hitch up.

No issues, it pulls great with out bounce or chucking.

I have no regrets with this hitch.

Old 09-08-2020, 06:50 PM
klbrown
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I too have an AUH. Going on 3 years with no problems. I use the goose neck ball mount. I have
a 3/4" rubber mat under the hitch frame. I follow the manufacturer's recommendation to check
the torque after 50 miles if I've removed the hitch. Otherwise I check the torque every 6 months.
I tow a 16K+ 5er with a pin weight of 3500 lbs to 4000 lbs, depending on how much fresh water
I'm carrying.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:57 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,899 Posts
Been using AUH rail mount for 5 years or so. First with a 37 ft 5th wheel and now a 28 ft 5th wheel. We travel cross country and go on Forest Service and BLM roads with confidence. We will not ever use a traditional 5th wheel hitch for several reasons, all of which are personal preference.

Old 09-09-2020, 10:32 AM
jollyrogr
Cargo Master
Received 767 Likes on 404 Posts

Pullrite superlite here. I have a rubber bed mat under the hitch now. I love this hitch. I love that it's made of steel and of a design that's incredibly strong.

Old 09-09-2020, 05:58 PM
GotAll4
Tuned
"I turned the red adapter to the rear, which shortened up the entire combo by about 8-9”."

I watched an installation video on You tube and they show the ball cone on the back side of the king pin. Is that correct and what are all of you doing? Seems to me leverage would be a problem and want to pull it side to side mounted to the back. Is there a way to mount it in the front? Love the idea of hanging it on a wall when your done. Only 1 so far has the Pull Rite maybe it comes down to price and where do I get one from.

Tom in PGH in that video they said if it was a long bed to face it towards the front and a short bed towards the back.

Old 09-09-2020, 06:03 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,899 Posts
The AUH rail version is steel where the goose ball version is aluminum. Just something to consider if you are concerned about that sort of thing. There are adapters available that allow you to use a rail version hitch, even if you only have a goose hitch.

The pull-rite posted by jollyrogr looks like a nice setup as well. I would certainly entertain the idea of running that if I ever needed to replace the AUH.

One day we went to pick up a crib and some furniture. I had forgotten to remove the AUH from the bed because the roll up cover was over it. We arrived to the place to load up the crib and furniture to see the AUH starring us in the face. My wife climbed into the bed, unhooked the pins and moved the AUH to the tailgate. I put the AUH in the back seat of our 2000 F-250 super cab (not crew cab). We loaded the items and drove 3 hours home. Try doing any of that with a traditional hitch.

Hooking up with the AUH is extremely easy and secure.

I am grateful for this hitch being designed before I got into the 5th wheel scene. People talk about it and grumble, but people grumbled about the automobile, radio, electricity and computers at one time.

Old 09-09-2020, 10:39 PM
GotAll4
Tuned
Wasn't trying to shoot it down in fact I'm favoring the AUH but just me over thinking it. It maybe an older version too I saw that had a metal 2 piece collar that went around the king pin then a large threaded cylinder that screwed around it that is torqued to 200 foot lbs and I think the ball cone was in front of the king pin..

Old 09-12-2020, 01:59 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
I have the Andersen Ultimate that mounts to my gooseneck ball. It didn't work out for my F150 as it unloaded the front axle too much.

Old 09-12-2020, 02:39 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,526 Likes on 1,089 Posts
If it were me, I'd buy a used one and try it.

Old 09-16-2020, 08:16 PM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
I first had the steel rail mounted in my ‘15 F250 then switched to the aluminum AU in my ‘18 F350. Couple thousand miles on the steel hitch and over 10k miles on the 2nd AU hitch. I’ve had no issues with either and love the easy and quick in and out.
My only other hitch experience was with a HEAVY Reese 20k traditional 5th wheel hitch.

Quick Reply: Anderson Ultimate VS the Pullrite Super light,