6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Crazy price for work? Ripped off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 09:28 PM
Jsmythe505
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crazy price for work? Ripped off?

Hey folks. Got a 2005 6.0 in the shop right now with some light bucking, poor acceleration and nasty idle. EGR valve was cleaned and reinstalled 1k miles ago.
The shop called and wants to do the following work:
EGR delete
Oil cooler replacement (it is leaking)
IPR valve replacement
Fuel filter replacements
ICP replacement. (I replaced 2k miles ago, so not sure about that being done.)
S belt replacement (small cracks)
They want $3,000 for all the above. Is that insane? It seems like a lot and I'm in a really tough spot. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:39 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,111 Likes on 1,430 Posts
That seems like a shotgun approach without diagnostics. I can't say that anything on that list would solve your issues.

If you want an informed answer to the issue and what should be done, this group will need data from monitoring and more history. The monitoring of the data is not expensive as long as you have a cell phone, then another $50 tops, but monitoring is something that is absolutely needed for owning a 6.0.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:32 PM
Jsmythe505
New User
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
That seems like a shotgun approach without diagnostics. I can't say that anything on that list would solve your issues.

If you want an informed answer to the issue and what should be done, this group will need data from monitoring and more history. The monitoring of the data is not expensive as long as you have a cell phone, then another $50 tops, but monitoring is something that is absolutely needed for owning a 6.0.
Thanks for the info. Any specific monitoring software you would recommend? I've seen so many OBD port-to-cell phone types but I have no idea which are trash and which are specific enough to be worth it.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:36 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Forscan or TorquePro. On the org, you have a more descriptive message, and with your past posts here, your issue may also be low fuel pressure. The fuel filters may not be the issue.

Theres other things needed to be checked.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:03 AM
Dale Seeley
Senior User
While I agree that the list of items is missing the obvious potential cause, if we assume that this approach is what you end up agreeing to, $3k including parts and necessary shop charges like disposal and chemicals isn't a bad price in my opinion.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:24 AM
namnguye
Laughing Gas
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Did you ask them what the problem is, and just fixing that, how much?
It can be cheaper to do others while they are at it, but without them diagnose and tell you what they found was bad, you are likely in a for a bad journey with this shop.

Old 07-09-2020, 10:55 AM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Received 502 Likes on 359 Posts
I'd run from them just for recommending all that. Why would anyone replace an IPR valve unless it wasn't working. And if it wasn't working, the truck wouldn't run at all. Ditto the IPR - it's possible for the truck to run with it unplugged, but why replace it if it's working? If the tech thinks it's fuel filters - and it could be although I'd expect to see smoke if so - then replace those before doing anything else and save yourself $2900. You certainly don't want to do all that work, find that it fixed nothing, and then swap in new filters to find that was the cause.

To me, it's just that all of these don't point to a single problem, or a single repair process. It's just a random list of a bunch of parts that can break at times, with one - the oil cooler - included that requires a bunch of labor for good measure. Was the truck even overheating? Why does he think the cooler needs to be replaced? Is the oil in the coolant, or is it the typical soot we all see and you're being told it's oil?

Did the guy even try to explain all this, or was it the generic - "I'm the tech, you gotta trust me, this is all the stuff you need." Unfortunately, many service businesses have decided that they make more money ripping people than being honest. If they can't rip you, they don't even want your business, so complaining does no good.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:53 PM
Jsmythe505
New User
Originally Posted by IHateCommieCars
I'd run from them just for recommending all that. Why would anyone replace an IPR valve unless it wasn't working. And if it wasn't working, the truck wouldn't run at all. Ditto the IPR - it's possible for the truck to run with it unplugged, but why replace it if it's working? If the tech thinks it's fuel filters - and it could be although I'd expect to see smoke if so - then replace those before doing anything else and save yourself $2900. You certainly don't want to do all that work, find that it fixed nothing, and then swap in new filters to find that was the cause.

To me, it's just that all of these don't point to a single problem, or a single repair process. It's just a random list of a bunch of parts that can break at times, with one - the oil cooler - included that requires a bunch of labor for good measure. Was the truck even overheating? Why does he think the cooler needs to be replaced? Is the oil in the coolant, or is it the typical soot we all see and you're being told it's oil?

Did the guy even try to explain all this, or was it the generic - "I'm the tech, you gotta trust me, this is all the stuff you need." Unfortunately, many service businesses have decided that they make more money ripping people than being honest. If they can't rip you, they don't even want your business, so complaining does no good.
Appreciate the response.
So, essentially the oil cooler has been leaking for a while and he caught that, suggesting it be replaced, and everything else be done on the way there.
I didnt fight as much as I initially thought I should because I know the cooler, egr and valve are original and wanted to replace at some point soon anyway. The price tag was just something I was unsure of, as I've never really gotten this much done at one time.
I did get an IPR code, I think it was, a while ago, but things ran fine so I prioritized other things along the way. What I'm assuming is, they saw issues along the way, and made it a "hey do it all while we are in there, or dont do it at all" situation.

Old 07-14-2020, 09:00 PM
Jsmythe505
New User
So I got her back. Cost me everything I had, but it runs like a top right now. Ended up getting the following done, and all work has a 3 year, 35,000m warranty. One thing I dont get is the ECM update. I didn't catch it while I was there and didnt get to ask. See pic.
EGR bypass
S belt replacement
Oil cooler replaced
Oil change
Fuel filter
ICP sensor and new pigtail
Fuel Pressure Regulator kit
"ECM update?"

Old 07-15-2020, 06:02 AM
2006powerstroke90
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Edit:didn’t read your last post.
Glad it’s fixed

Old 07-15-2020, 08:31 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

With anything, if your happy and it works, that's all that's necessary.

Most of us like to understand the faults for the repairs. The price for an ECM update is too high for a reflash, so they either replaced the FICM or the PCM. That wasn't in your original post, but if FICM it would make a better sense of your issue.