Sponsored by: Moser

Holley Sniper on 400

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 10:36 PM
TXTrailerdaddy
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holley Sniper on 400

So Merry Christmas to me, I just ordered the Holley Sniper system and the Dual Sync distributor setup. It is supposed to be here next week. I got tired of jacking with the carb, but I had intended to make the switch at the start of the build. My Carb has not been working right since I added the E4OD because it needed a throttle position sensor and it affected the choke high idle. I could never get the set screw to work right. It would either idle crazy high or act like it didn't have a choke at all. Dialing the timing in wasn't terrible, but I really like the ability to set everything from base timing to max advance on the keypad instead of using a wrench. I'm geeking out about how cool this system is. I ordered the kit with the returnless pump. I also found a universal fuel float at tanks inc that I will be putting in since I have the 38 gal tank and hate that I never know exactly how much fuel I have. But that's just an annoyance. So, I will do a write up with lots of pics if anyone is interested.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:15 PM
77&79F250
Received 3,372 Likes on 2,508 Posts
A good write up, yea its Fitech but might help some where. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...n-77-f150.html

Links to good stuff. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-guidance.html

Like Holley Sniper on a 77 F250 400 https://classicbroncos.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=293349

Duel tanks and EFI help, just in case. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-question.html

Looking fwd to this tech write up for sure.

Old 12-20-2019, 12:43 AM
SDDL-UP
Laughing Gas
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
I'd love to see a write up - just keep the picture size reasonable. Nothing to kill a good thread like waiting for 500,000,000 gigabytes of hi-res photos to load...

Old 12-20-2019, 01:54 AM
TXTrailerdaddy
Tuned
I usually size them down to around 1 mb but most of this install shouldn't need high res as there isn't a whole lot of fab other than fuel tank and fuel line. I just got the update from summit. My items have shipped and will be at my house in 3 days. Woo Hoo!

Old 12-20-2019, 04:45 AM
i-w
Fleet Mechanic
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Yes this will be in the near future for me.
a write up would be great.

Old 12-20-2019, 01:59 PM
rotating_equipment
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a really, really simple setup. I have the 2-barrel "2300" Sniper on my 351M. It's rather roughly done because I have so many other issues to resolve, but starting, running, and idling are not among them! The hardest part of the swap was figuring out fuel supply - I'm running on a temporary tank in the bed for now because both my tanks have dino juice from roughly the same period in them. Also, the coolant temperature probe leads are just a little too short for connecting to the OEM temperature sending location in the block. I had to extend mine but that was not hard. To power up the "pink" ignition +12Vdc wire, I used a relay and snipped off the white and red plug from my Duraspark box which was pretty much junk. I think I have a schematic somewhere on my phone.

One thing - if you do buy a kit, get it from EFISystemPro. Chris is super helpful.

Old 12-20-2019, 07:22 PM
rougeriver
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rotating_equipment
One thing - if you do buy a kit, get it from EFISystemPro. Chris is super helpful.
I second this advice. I think you will be very happy with the Sniper. I put it on my 460 and I love it!

David

Old 12-20-2019, 07:28 PM
Iraiam
New User
Subscribed. I have been toying with doing this too. I'm running a Holley 4412 on my 400, the only thing that has stopped me from pulling the trigger on the Holley Sniper 2300 is planning out the fuel delivery setup with dual tanks and such.

Old 12-20-2019, 07:33 PM
TXTrailerdaddy
Tuned
If you intend to keep both tanks, then you need a swirl pot type pump. I had 2 tanks but opted for the 38 gallon one. Now the front fuel tank door goes to nowhere. Edelbrock has a pretty nice pump for the swirl pot. I've downloaded the PDF install guide to start planning a bit. I'm not quite sure about a few things but I'll figure it out. I currently have an HEI Dizzy so I've got the tach wire and the hot. The dual sync seems a bit more involved but doesn't look complicated. I rewired the truck and now I'm going to be adding a ton of wires so It may take some doing to keep everything clean. On the plus side, since I'm doing this, I will have almost no need for vacuum as the only thing connected to vacuum will be my AC dash controls and the PCV valve. So I will plug off everything to eliminate those pesky vacuum leaks I get when those rubber caps split at inconvenient times. I also bought a nice MSD ratcheting plug wire crimper so I'm hoping to cut down my spark plug wires and make it much neater. I also need to break out my Baumann controller book and see how I get the TPS input signal for it. Nothing too complicated. I think the most tedious part will be mounting the fuel pump and my new sending unit.

Old 12-20-2019, 07:49 PM
Iraiam
New User
I was thinking about those, but I'm going a different direction, I spec'ed out another electric fuel tank valve from newer Fords that have EFI and dual tanks. They have ports for switching the return lines as well. my tanks are good, but they need to come out anyway because I'm having some issues with the original sending units. I bought a couple of these fuel tank valves at wrecking yards as I found them.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:02 PM
rougeriver
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I run my dual tanks, but I have done things a little differently. I installed a 38 gal aft tank, with a Tanks Inc pump, and I have my midship tank routed back to the aft tank with just a small electric fuel pump. It acts as a reserve to the large tank, and I can even use it while driving to replenish the aft tank while on the road. Works perfectly and gives me a 57 gallon range. The dash switch still operates to show the fuel levels in each tank.

David

Old 12-20-2019, 10:10 PM
rotating_equipment
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm probably going to go the same route as rougeriver - run one primary tank and use a transfer pump for the second. Not worth the hassle of managing a dual return line.

TX - I went with the Hyperspark setup and it was too simple to set up. Perhaps an option? Makes for a more complete install when the computer controls the timing.

Old 12-20-2019, 11:15 PM
TXTrailerdaddy
Tuned
I ordered the Hyperspark dizzy also. I really like the ability to tune it with the touch screen. I noticed the truck would come alive when I set base timing at 12, but the mechanical advance got it pinging at higher rpm. With this, I can set base timing at 12 and max advance I can lower to 30 or 31 to stay out of pinging range but still have better lower speed performance. Who knows maybe with the proper A/F ratio it wont ping at 32. Lots of possibilities without having to take a wrench and timing light to it to make an adjustment. I will have all my parts here on Tuesday so I'm going to probably be wrenching on Christmas day.

Old 12-21-2019, 11:17 AM
i-w
Fleet Mechanic
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Did you go with the 2 barrel or 4? if 4 what intake did you go with ?

Old 12-22-2019, 11:19 AM
TXTrailerdaddy
Tuned
Originally Posted by i-w
Did you go with the 2 barrel or 4? if 4 what intake did you go with ?
I’m at 400hp/500tq so the 2 barrel is just below my power rating so I ordered the 4 barrel. I’ve got the Edelbrock performer dual plane intake and I have a 1” phenolic spacer that has the 4 holes drilled rather than the single plane version.

Quick Reply: Holley Sniper on 400