Sponsored by: Moser

Questions for people who installed fitech on a 351m

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 11:48 AM
Fallenares
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions for people who installed fitech on a 351m

I have a 1977 f-100 351m 2wd I want to add a Fitech system to. I have a few questions for those who gm have done the conversion.
what intake did you use?

did you reinstall the egr and egr spacer?

if you didn’t, are you having lean issues due to the deleted egr.

has anyone installed a fitech system on a stock intake with a 2 barrel to 4 barrel spacer?
any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-23-2019, 03:19 PM
taylorbickett5
Senior User
I'd definitely get a 4 barrel Intake of some kind, 4bbl to 2bbl adapters definitely work "ok" but far from ideal. I've got an Edelbrock performer 400 without egr and a summit 600cgm carb, I have no lean issues.
Ditch the egr no matter which way you go. You can tune out a lean condition pretty easy.

Is the engine freshly built or pretty new?

Old 10-23-2019, 04:06 PM
1TonBasecamp
Lead Driver
Received 736 Likes on 590 Posts
Holley Sniper comes in a 2bbl version if you're averse to changing the intake.
Any of them can be used with, or without EGR. Up to you. Personally I would leave it, unless you just don't like the extra stuff under the hood and don't have to pass inspections. Or if yours is no longer functioning anyway, then that could be another reason for not using it.
If you go with a 4bbl intake and FiTech, you might search up what people are doing with the plenum divider these days, or if it's even necessary. Some TBI setups are more sensitive than others, but the divided plenum type of 4bbl intake can create mixed signals (for lack of a better term) that effect tuning.

Have you thought of which way you're going to go with the fuel delivery? External pump, in-tank pump, other?
Just curious. I have a new rear tank that will accept an in-tank pump, but not sure what I'll do with the stock side tank if I decide to go with internal pumps. I prefer that route in fact, but not sure how to get it done yet.

Good luck.

Paul

Old 10-23-2019, 07:34 PM
Doosenberry
More Turbo
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts
I have a Holley Sniper on my 351M in my 78 Bronco. I know it's not the same thing as the Fitech, but close enough. My 351M had a 4bbl intake on it when I got it (performer 400 non-egr) so I put a 4bbl Sniper on it. I haven't had any issues with it, but haven't put a lot of miles on it yet. My Bronco is out of commission at the moment as it's not a priority.

Not the prettiest of engines, but the intake is sealed and working properly, so I didn't want to yank it just to clean everything up.

Name:  bO00qvWh.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  140.8 KB

Name:  Oa5UeEdh.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  195.7 KB

Old 10-24-2019, 01:20 AM
Fallenares
New User
Originally Posted by taylorbickett5
I'd definitely get a 4 barrel Intake of some kind, 4bbl to 2bbl adapters definitely work "ok" but far from ideal. I've got an Edelbrock performer 400 without egr and a summit 600cgm carb, I have no lean issues.
Ditch the egr no matter which way you go. You can tune out a lean condition pretty easy.

Is the engine freshly built or pretty new?
No the engine is not new. I want to do an engine swap later and figured I could reuse the fitech. I really want to get rid egr and all the vacuum lines except for the booster and vacuum advance.

Old 10-24-2019, 01:23 AM
Fallenares
New User
Originally Posted by 1TonBasecamp
Any of them can be used with, or without EGR. Up to you. Personally I would leave it, unless you just don't like the extra stuff under the hood and don't have to pass inspections. Or if yours is no longer functioning anyway, then that could be another reason for not using it.
If you go with a 4bbl intake and FiTech, you might search up what people are doing with the plenum divider these days, or if it's even necessary. Some TBI setups are more sensitive than others, but the divided plenum type of 4bbl intake can create mixed signals (for lack of a better term) that effect tuning.

Have you thought of which way you're going to go with the fuel delivery? External pump, in-tank pump, other?
Just curious. I have a new rear tank that will accept an in-tank pump, but not sure what I'll do with the stock side tank if I decide to go with internal pumps. I prefer that route in fact, but not sure how to get it done yet.

Good luck.

Paul
not sure about the fuel system yet. I have a few ideas. I’m dropped the tank and looking at my options. I did a search to see what others were doing with the egr plenum but I couldn’t find much out there. I may post on Facebook and see what others have done on there.

Old 10-24-2019, 01:25 AM
Fallenares
New User
Originally Posted by Doosenberry
I have a Holley Sniper on my 351M in my 78 Bronco. I know it's not the same thing as the Fitech, but close enough. My 351M had a 4bbl intake on it when I got it (performer 400 non-egr) so I put a 4bbl Sniper on it. I haven't had any issues with it, but haven't put a lot of miles on it yet. My Bronco is out of commission at the moment as it's not a priority.

Not the prettiest of engines, but the intake is sealed and working properly, so I didn't want to yank it just to clean everything up.

so you are not using any type of spacer?

Trending Topics

Old 10-24-2019, 02:07 AM
Doosenberry
More Turbo
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Fallenares
so you are not using any type of spacer?
No, I'm not using a spacer. I had a couple of 1" spacers (one 4-hole, one open) and put them on to see if they made any difference whether it was drivability or power and I didn't notice anything. I had them on my old 460 and they made a noticeable difference on that engine, but that one was carbed and I think carbed engines respond a lot differently that fuel injected ones do with spacers when you consider the venturi effect.

Old 10-24-2019, 04:33 AM
rotating_equipment
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got the Sniper 2300 (2-bbl 2150 replacement) on my 351M. I removed the spacer and ran my PCV suction to the port provided on the body of the unit. I also use the Hyperspark ignition kit with the distributor and cdi box. Starts up quickly and seems to run well. Only limited runtime due to some major leaks on the trans and steering system.

Old 10-24-2019, 08:22 AM
Loosescrews
Mountain Pass
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 1TonBasecamp

Good luck.

Paul
Paul, when I ran fuel injection in my truck for a while, I used a Fitech hyperfuel system. Basically a fuel cell with high pressure pump that is fed by mechanical pump. Allowed me to use both tanks with no mods. Worked well and fed a lot of cubic inches fine. FWIW.

Old 10-24-2019, 01:10 PM
1TonBasecamp
Lead Driver
Yeah those remote modules are slick and a good solution to simplify plumbing (usually). The Early Bronco guys had a lot of trouble with the original Command Center due to heat buildup and not running a return line back to the tank.
I know the whole reason for this setup was so you did not have to run a return unless you really wanted to, but it turned out to be a critical factor when heat was added.
Not really familiar with the Hyperfuel, but the G-Surge seems to have remedied the old issues. Return lines apparently were the key and fixed all the issues I'm aware of.
Just wish some of the users had added returns to their old Command Centers and reported the results. Would have been nice to see if it was a 100% return issue or not.

Paul

Old 10-24-2019, 05:58 PM
captainwoot
Senior User
Hello.. I am running the fitech with the early command center. A few growing pains but overall pretty good. This is my daily driver all year round. Had it installed couple of years now. I have a wieand 4bbl intake with a 1.5"open spacer. I think it would work better with an open intake as well. Removed float and needle and seat from the command center. Removed fuel pressure reg from the throttle body and installed a BMW block off plate. Installed the removed reg onto the command center. I would assume the newer fuel pump systems are better now. I've been happy with it.. Always starts first go in - 25 Celsius. Also nice to have a remote start in the old girl lol. Good luck!

Old 10-24-2019, 06:32 PM
i-w
Fleet Mechanic
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
kind of relates to the intake manifolds...

the short story start at 6:33

Start at 6:00

Old 10-27-2019, 09:13 AM
hivoltj
Cargo Master
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I would not recommend the fitech, the software is junk. Based on my personal experience and I'm no stranger to EFI. I haven't tried sniper yet but the software SHOULD be better.

Old 10-27-2019, 02:50 PM
1TonBasecamp
Lead Driver
Can't talk per software, but it's pretty well documented at least on the forums that Holley has the better, more responsive and more helpful customer service.
For FiTech, the facebook forum has been a boon to customers vs calling in to their customer service number.

Paul

Quick Reply: Questions for people who installed fitech on a 351m