Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idles rough

Old 07-07-2019, 01:58 PM
shadows4
Senior User
shadows4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Idles rough

2003 7.3 201K miles. Did some research and determined it was ICP sensor. Replaced sensor with a factory Ford sensor. No problems for about a week. Now when I start the truck it idles rough and the check engine light comes on. This doesn't happen all the time. When it does it usually only last a few minutes. Seems after truck warms up it goes away completely. I have a Scan GuageII that says it reads codes but says none available. Is this something I should worry about or will it eventually go away? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:43 PM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Things rarely just go away on their own but YMMV. I'd check all of your harness connections to ensure that they're not loose and the tinnerman nut on the back of the IPR and see where it goes from there.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:51 PM
shadows4
Senior User
Thanks, was thinking about that nut on IPR this morning. I know just enough about these motors to get myself in trouble.

Old 07-07-2019, 05:55 PM
Sous
Moderator and SXE Junkie!
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
There is more knowledge in this community than I can even begin to quantify.

Keep posting information, asking questions and answering questions. You will soon have it sorted out.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:59 PM
shadows4
Senior User
Unhappy

Well I went ahead and took it to my local diesel mechanic due to an up coming trip this weekend. The verdict was a bad #7 injector. Should have it back tomorrow. Should I have told them to just go ahead and replace all the injectors on that side? Thanks.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:19 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
aawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud of
I'd say no. Then half would be fresh and half old.

There are tests for the injectors that often misdiagnose #8 and #3, but #7 is not commonly misdiagnosed. So maybe they are right.

Could also be the UVCH connector is loose inside and #7 just shows the worst resistance. Once open I bet they'd see that and push it back together anyway. Fixed either way.

Be sure to give it a thorough test drive including some bumps to see if jostling the wiring makes a difference. Inspect wire harness to 42 pin connector over the driver side valve cover, it can rub and short there causing intermittent troubles.

If the issue continues bring it back to them immediately.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:23 AM
shadows4
Senior User
All fixed. $800 later its good to go. Starts much easier and runs great. $279 for 1 new injector ouch!!! But my baby is fixed now. Thanks guys.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.