Notices
1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Non-running bargain still won’t run!

Old 05-11-2019, 09:29 PM
MichaelD1
New User
MichaelD1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Non-running bargain still won’t run!

So I just bought a non-running 1990 E350 with a 351w and 127000 miles. Thought it would be pretty simple to get going! It starts, barely, but won’t idle or rev up without constant pumping of the gas pedal. Put in new plugs, rotor, dist.cap...checked firing order... thought of insufficient fuel, but all three pumps seem to be working, and I have about 40-45 psi of fuel pressure at the back right fuel rail. Disconnecting the vacuum line to the PRV makes almost no difference.... I have not messed with the dual tank selector/filter yet, because of the good pressure readings... i have looked for major vacuum leaks like a disconnected hose, but everything seems to be together exception a1” hose off the air pump (lower right front of engine), but closing it off made no difference...??

original air cleaner assembly is gone, replaced with a K&N type cone filter, with direct lines to the throttle body. There is no maf sensor that I can see... is this year van supposed to have one?
I have also not addressed the throttle position sensor yet
And for extra Diagnostic info: i can get it to run by continuously spraying gas onto the air cleaner surface,and she purrs happily!!

Ideas??

Old 05-12-2019, 06:27 AM
HandyAl
New User
HandyAl is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hi,
  • Make sure your TPS is within specs. When it goes bad it causes a few driveability issues.
  • Another item you should check is your fuel injectors(power, ground, and they are spraying fuel)
  • IAC Valve.
  • MAP. Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor. Passenger side of the engine above heater fan. The computer uses the data on this sensor every time you start the engine. It has a vacuum line attached to it and a harness.
Good luck!

Old 05-12-2019, 06:55 AM
MichaelD1
New User
Thanks for those ideas! Nice rainy day to see what I can find....

Old 05-12-2019, 10:59 AM
wirelessengineer
Elder User
wirelessengineer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
How long has it been sitting? The first thing I would do is to drain the tank, change the filter, and get fresh gas in it.

Old 05-12-2019, 04:34 PM
MichaelD1
New User
Hi... it was “running fine” as recent as 2 months ago. Hasn’t run right, certainly not driveable, since she had some work done to it (new battery and alternator)
The tank was almost empty, and is now half full of fresh gas.
What I just found about an hour ago is a bad MAP sensor... it’s got a bit over 5 volts and a good ground, but failed the hertz measurements badly. It was a fairly smooth decrease in frequency, but way low, like less than 1/2 of the spec values....so I will get unit tomorrow and see what happens.
thanks for any thoughts you might have! Stay tuned......

Old 05-12-2019, 04:37 PM
MichaelD1
New User
Thanks handyAl.... haven’t replaced it (tomorrow!) but the map sensor failed the test frequency outputs. I’ll replace it tomorrow and see what happens

Old 05-13-2019, 05:02 PM
MichaelD1
New User
WooHooo! The van is up and running! Turned out to be the map sensor. Thanks all for ideas and thoughts! Now I can start on all the other things that need fixing, like rear main seal, sliding door, front fuel tank leak.... and lots more! AllGood!

Old 05-13-2019, 06:23 PM
wirelessengineer
Elder User
wirelessengineer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

Thanks for letting us know!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.