Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Need guidance on initial engine fire up

Old 04-19-2019, 07:29 PM
Crownvicguy
Junior User
Crownvicguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Update

I feel like im chasing gremlins....here is what my test is..

Disconnect negative battery post...run multimeter from neg batt post , to coil wire from ignition switch....6.33 volts

Connect negative batt post...and still have 6.33

I need to get an assistant over to run the starter so i can check for spark

Old 04-19-2019, 07:40 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
So something is grounded, either the coil or the ignition wiring

Old 04-19-2019, 07:51 PM
Crownvicguy
Junior User
Albuq f1

Any more test i could do?

Old 04-19-2019, 07:56 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Crownvicguy View Post
I need to get an assistant over to run the starter so i can check for spark
Very handy dingus.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:26 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
I'd get under the dash and check all the connections on all the wiring, at the ignition switch, circuit breakers, everything.

Is your ignition switch stock?

Old 04-19-2019, 08:38 PM
Crownvicguy
Junior User
Never seen a tool like that

Yes the ignition switch is stock. I tested it and im getting over 6 volts at it. Im not familiar with the circuit breakers though.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:46 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Never seen a tool like that.
Called "remote starter switch", connect to starter solenoid and ground. Great for bumping engine over from engine bay, checking voltage drops under load, compression test etc.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:27 AM
Crownvicguy
Junior User
Hey Yall!! IVE GOT SPARK!!

More question time

1. There is 'oil' in the crankcase, it could be 2 to 40 years old. Ive also added 3 oz of marvel mystery oil in each plug hole. (Side note ; i see some oil going into the clear tube on the mechanical oil pressure guage) Do i change the oil before initial start up?

2. where does this spring connect to?

Old 04-21-2019, 10:06 AM
FortyNiner
Postmaster
FortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud of
Yippee! What was the fix for the spark?

If it were mine, the oil and antifreeze would get changed. Based on the condition of the heater hose in your pic, might want to check the rest of the hoses.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:43 PM
Crownvicguy
Junior User
I really dont know what it was. Im guessing it was a bad ground. I cleaned a few grounds and then checked for spark.

Plan...im off work and it is supposed to rain tomorrow. Im going to get the heater hose and some coolant. Maybe there will be a break in the rain so i can check for leaks. My compression tester came in mail so im going to try and check that. Im might just try and crank it friday evening. (Fire extinguisher ready)

Question. I found a ball under the truck in the driveway. It looked like a musketball(same size, just felt light than a musket ball). Ill find it and take a picture. Any idea what it was?

Old 04-25-2019, 01:13 PM
Crownvicguy
Junior User
What brand anti freeze/color should i put in the truck?

Old 04-25-2019, 04:03 PM
hooler1
Elder User
hooler1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
What brand anti freeze/color should i put in the truck?
I am sure you will get many answers to this. Myself, I like Prestone All Makes and Models.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:45 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
Old 04-25-2019, 05:26 PM
Crownvicguy
Junior User
After reading that article, im guessing Peak will work well in my flathead?

Old 04-26-2019, 09:57 PM
Crownvicguy
Junior User
Update and questions,
So today was attempt #2 for crank up. I got the coolant system ready and fresh oil. Before i put fuel to the carb. I put a bore scope in each spark plug hole. 5 valves are stuck. The three cylinders with operating valves had no compression (cylinder 5 did have 25psi). I noticed the valves looked pretty rusty (even ones that moved). Im really thinking the valves arent sealing because its rusty. I then cracked loose all 48 head bolts a quarter turn to prepare to take the heads off. I made two foam 'cylinder heads' to put bolts in order so they all go back in same hole.

1. When heads come off, how do i clean the valves?
2. How do you get stuck valves loose?
3. When opposite valve is 'up' the stuck valve should be 'down'...correct??? (not on a cam lobe)
4. What is the best head gasket and where to get it?
5. How do you pry head off?
6. What else do i need to know or need to watch out for? As always, assume i know nothing about flatheads.

Thank you for you knowledge!
John

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.