Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

News to me about antifreeze

Old 09-06-2018, 07:16 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
News to me about antifreeze

Got this from a friend and member of the EFV8 Club:

"AACA published this information in the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Club Newsletter concerning the use of "extended life" antifreeze in cars over 10 years old.
In a nutshell--don't do it!

Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should an "Extended Life" antifreeze, which utilizes Organic Additive Technology (OAT, H-OAT, or N-OAT) as one of its chemicals, ever be used in our cars over 10 years old. It attacks the gaskets and gasket cements in our cars, causing major leaks and forcing ultra-expensive repairs. The "Silver Ghost Association" Rolls Royce people have documented massive cooling system failures apparently caused by this anti-freeze product.

Antifreeze that can be used safely in our cars uses older-fashioned Inorganic Additive Technology (IAT) additive. You cannot tell by the color of the antifreeze if it's safe to use. Also, the product may be labelled "Safe for Older Cars"--meaning 10 years old at most. Brands to be AVOIDED are all Prestone lines and Zerex's G-05 in the Gold-color container. Avoid any "extended-life" antifreeze. None of us wants to pull and rebuild our cars' engines.

Acceptable brands are Peak, Peak's HD Product "Sierra," and Zerex Original Green in the WHITE container.

If any of the OAT, H-OAT, or N-OAT products are in your car the cooling system should promptly be drained--radiator and block-- the system flushed thoroughly, and IAT antifreeze installed.
The article is in Newsletter LVII Number 8 2010. It will be posted on the ACDCLUB.ORG site in a few days in the newsletters section of the forum.
Forewarned is forearmed"

While I have never used DexCool or GO-5 in my truck, I'll have to check if it is labelled "Extended Life" (it's NAPA antifreeze). I'd be surprised if any of our old trucks still have original gaskets anyway.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:36 PM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Mixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant future
What about Evans waterless coolant?
https://www.evanscoolant.com/?gclid=...hoCbP0QAvD_BwE

Old 09-06-2018, 08:07 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Mixer man View Post
What about Evans waterless coolant?
https://www.evanscoolant.com/?gclid=...hoCbP0QAvD_BwE
No information in their tech sheets to tell what kind of chemistry they are using.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:21 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Thanks, Ross. I think. Something else to worry about. Prestone Green is no good?? Is nothing sacred?

Old 09-06-2018, 08:22 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
Dang, I have prestone in mine but the panel has a new crate motor, pickup has an all original 83 motor

Old 09-06-2018, 08:53 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tedster9 View Post
Thanks, Ross. I think. Something else to worry about. Prestone Green is no good?? Is nothing sacred?
Personally, I don't like Prestone for some reasons that go back to the '60's, but I'm surprised their Green stuff is not recommended.

John, I don't understand what magical change occurred in engine design and gaskets in 2008? (10 yrs ago) This could be too broad a statement.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:56 PM
jniolon
Postmaster
jniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant future
I would think that any engine rebuilt or built with current day gaskets and rubbers would be safe??? they surely aren't using 1960's technology in the gasket/seal market are they ???
j

Old 09-06-2018, 09:07 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
I'd be more concerned with the motor in my pickup because it is still original from 83 , maybe I'll have to replace it sooner than I planned..

Old 09-06-2018, 10:33 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
Bottom line anything with DEA as an ingredient is bad. Most universal coolants also meet dexcool requirements and that is where the issues come from. I would also like to Mention that Zerex gold doesn't have the additive and is safe to run and many do with aluminum radiators, intakes and heads. It does very well protecting both cast iron and aluminum and has no seal swelling agents. Also you will find all Heavy Duty diesel coolants are DEA free as it is not approved by major engine builders. I will say not to mix a organic acid coolant with green or a hybrid organic acid coolant with green. If in doubt pull up the SDS shert on the coolant and get the data sheet it will list the properties.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:59 PM
51dueller
Post Fiend
51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.51dueller has a great reputation on FTE.
10 years seems a little short. GM has been using Dexcool since 1995 and Ford, Dodge have had extended life antifreeze since 2002.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:41 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
I remember the Prestone problems also. I stay away from them too but that was a long time ago and I haven’t heard that they have had a problem since. About the same time there was some Firestone labeled bulk antifreeze sold to car dealers that would actually eat holes in aluminum parts like thermostat housings.

I would never leave the same antifreeze in my truck for 10 years. The ACD member cars usually are not driven like our trucks. And I don’t know of anything special in our engines that would require these extraordinary measures. As long as the trucks are driven occasionally to bring things up to operation temp any good quality antifreeze should suffice IMHO.

Here is a 2011 common sense article but still valid. https://www.cartechbooks.com/techtips/antifreeze

Old 09-07-2018, 09:17 AM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 51dueller View Post
10 years seems a little short. GM has been using Dexcool since 1995 and Ford, Dodge have had extended life antifreeze since 2002.
I agree 10 years seems a bit broad of a statement. My daily driver 2004 Mercury Marauder (coming up on 15 years old now), with it's all aluminum 4 cam engine is required by Ford to only use Zerex gold. I'm not going to change it. It's interesting info nonetheless.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:22 AM
edzakory
Elder User
edzakory is a splendid one to beholdedzakory is a splendid one to beholdedzakory is a splendid one to beholdedzakory is a splendid one to beholdedzakory is a splendid one to beholdedzakory is a splendid one to behold
When you examine the components of a carís cooling system. I can of think of a few areas that may be prone to chemical attack. The only engine component that is original on my truck is the brass radiator; the heads are aluminum and the í86 block is cast iron.

Antifreeze is not a product that I even considered researching before buying. I liked the idea of the 5yr extended life version vs the old 2yr version because of the disposal issues.

I found the marketing of this issue similar to that of ethanol gasoline. They tout the benefits of the product but are short on warning you of the dangers. However, if you are concerned, they offer the original 2yr version to ease your anxiety. Of course, very few places sell the original formula, and the price is higher as is the case for unleaded fuel.

I believe that just driving the vehicle and regularly checking/changing the fluids will prevent major issues. Letting a vehicle sit too long can result in many detriments.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:31 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
Good point on disposal. Just remember that dogs like to drink the stuff. Even spills on the driveway. It will kill them. Make sure that you clean up spills immediately and dispose of old coolant properly.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:36 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by edzakory View Post
When you examine the components of a carís cooling system. I can of think of a few areas that may be prone to chemical attack. The only engine component that is original on my truck is the brass radiator; the heads are aluminum and the í86 block is cast iron.
You bring up an important consideration; you have a very non-stock engine, with a completely different mix of alloys than stock. So what type of protection is really appropriate? Personally I would think that GO-5 might be the best, because it was developed (I am told) to deal with dissimilar metal corrosion.

Another factor to consider is that old stock systems don't have sealed cooling systems, so they get a lot of air contact that modern systems don't. Which inhibitors are best for dealing with that?

I'm going to look into the AACA notice, I'm beginning to believe there is much more to this. I did find this, which is pretty clear: (https://www.cgj.com/2013/05/20/what-...an-i-mix-them/ )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.