Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cps?

Old 04-14-2019, 07:08 AM
tommyl
Senior User
tommyl is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
cps?

Which is the best cps today? Just installed grey cps from ford, trucks stumbles and set code. bad cps? 2003 7.3 f250 200k.
When it stumbles the cel comes on. Truck continues to run good, 70mph not an issue.
Seems like I need to be light on the throttle though.
Had the same issues before installing new cps. code p0344.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:02 AM
BWST
Elder User
BWST has a good reputation on FTE.BWST has a good reputation on FTE.BWST has a good reputation on FTE.
The dark grey/purple o-ring Motorcraft F4TZ12K073C, originally used on the 94-97 OBS trucks, is recommended - is that what you have?

An interesting thread on FTE here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ps-change.html

I'm hearing the fuel bowl heater can cause this code/symptom when failing - you can try unplugging the fuel bowl heater to help diagnose.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:02 AM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
Good source to get what you need is here: https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/motor...sor-cps-94-03/

Also, some good reading on the difference between them and why they were changed.

https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/conte...0Sensor%20.pdf

Old 04-14-2019, 04:52 PM
tommyl
Senior User
tommyl is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have the light grey F7TZ-12K073-B.
Ordered from Riffraff the -C.
Thanks for the info.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:23 AM
Brandonpdx
Senior User
Brandonpdx is starting off with a positive reputation.
The International dealer gave me the dark blue one and it has not given me any trouble in two years. (The parts store one I found in the truck was though.)

Old 04-15-2019, 10:19 AM
Jo7.3
Senior User
Jo7.3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not to derail the thread, but I've got a question for you guys. I ordered the RiffRaff CPS (dark grey/purple o-ring) as a spare. My truck has no codes or anything, but the idle quality isn't the best, and there is a very slight shake to the truck while idling. Would the riffraff CPS fix this? Or am I better off not messing with it? My gut tells me "If it ain't broke don't fix it", but at the same time, I'm curious if the new CPS would make a difference.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:26 AM
BWST
Elder User
BWST has a good reputation on FTE.BWST has a good reputation on FTE.BWST has a good reputation on FTE.
Slight shake - I'd start with addressing anything that could help reduce air in the fuel system. Hutch mod, fuel lines from tank to bowl, FRx or equivalent, that sort of thing. Has any of that been done on your rig?

Old 04-15-2019, 10:35 AM
'88 E-350
Elder User
'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.
When I was researching which one to get "everyone" said get the grey one but nobody said dark or light and I got the light. My engine runs fine, no clue what's in it, now I'm curious to see if there's a noticeable change....assuming what's in it isn't the same as what I bought.

Originally Posted by Jo7.3 View Post
Not to derail the thread, but I've got a question for you guys. I ordered the RiffRaff CPS (dark grey/purple o-ring) as a spare. My truck has no codes or anything, but the idle quality isn't the best, and there is a very slight shake to the truck while idling. Would the riffraff CPS fix this? Or am I better off not messing with it? My gut tells me "If it ain't broke don't fix it", but at the same time, I'm curious if the new CPS would make a difference.
I would try it and see. If there's no change just leave it in and keep the old one as an emergency spare. My new one's been living in the glovebox, and I ordered one for my friend to keep in his as well since it's a small cheap part that can save the day.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:42 PM
Jo7.3
Senior User
Jo7.3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
No fuel mods as of now, was pretty set on doing the frx a while ago, but having to grind down the baby's butt to make sure the fitting didn't rub made me a little nervous. But as loud as the truck is at idle, I'm still tempted to buy it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.