6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

High idle hours?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 07:30 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Lost of hone marks? Hopefully once the engine starts and runs the hone marks disappear and not be felt with the finger nail. The only reason a block is honed is to aid in seating of the rings to the cylinder wall and final sizing of the bore to piston clearances. Hone marks are not deep enough to hold any oil of sufficient quantity to worry about dilution of the oil on the walls or from the piston cooling oil that is sprayed into the pistons to cool the tops.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:32 PM
Magnolia Tom
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So it sounds like I shouldn't be too worried about the idle hours?

Old 04-11-2019, 07:46 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Probably a good truck. But, If you are concerned about the engine, you could always see about an extended warranty.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:53 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by kper05
In reference to is it better to idle, not for the diesels we have today. I still do it from time to time especially in August when I want A/C relief from the southern humidity or I've used the two minute "rule" (not that there's a rule) for a long time which even that thinking should be reduced.
Plus, if you use remote start, it's already idling quite a bit over time. If it's remote started from inside the house, maybe you get distracted and five minutes pass by for example.
Idling begins to slowly clog the EGR inlet (butterfly valve area) because their is oil mist in there to help it stick, those smaller EGR pipes, the EGR cooler and eventually the DPF (but at least that can self clean (more fuel) unlike the EGR cooler).

Even idling my tractor (no DPF or DEF) has resulted in 3% fuel in the oil in the past.

The company I work for spends quite a bit of money with UPS where I've picked up a few bits of info over the years and they data log and analyze everything they can put a sensor on (telematics for the vehicles) or get metrics from. UPS's data analytics with folks who know how to utilize that data are actually one of their advantages. They have determined it is cheaper to replace starters than it is to pay for fuel and other wear from 10's of thousands of idling trucks. In addition, it is expensive (especially depending on the package contents) to have a truck more easily stolen so that factors into the consideration as well. UPS has said they proactively replace some parts anyways, such as starters. UPS will market it as "green" and "reducing our emissions" but it comes down to idling at their scale is a colossal waste of money.
I didn't think about theft, that's a good reason to shut them off. I did assume that a company as large as UPS was smart enough to do the math on the wear and tear of their vehicles, considering most corporations nowadays have a department for everything under the sun. The "green" marketing cracks me up, as if any corporation would do something green if it actually cost them money lol

Back to the OP's question though, personally I would not let it change my mind about the truck if everything else about it checked out.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:51 PM
Watsy
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom
So it sounds like I shouldn't be too worried about the idle hours?
My 2 cents...I was told that 15% idle hours is max you should be looking at. The one your considering has 38%.
True stories about premature DPF and EGR issues as well as diesel dilution and sooty oil. I would stay away from it.
We just finished a 6 month hunt for the right truck. 92000km, 1218 hours, 104 idle hours is 8.5%.
They are out there.
Cheers

Old 04-11-2019, 10:58 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I assisted with the distraction. To the OP, it does have a decent amount of idle hours for the total but you could get a used vehicle Ford Protect (ESP) warranty for it and not worry about it especially if everything else with the truck is great. Even if you don't, realistically the first emissions component that could have an issue around 100,000 would be the EGR cooler and it's replaceable. A few members here have reported needing two or three replaced by the time they reached 100,000. Mine was plugged by 105,000 with 22% idle.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:05 AM
Magnolia Tom
Elder User
I went back and calculated the idle hours on my truck (bought it used) since I've owned it. I'm at 24% and I drive a lot of highway miles. Kinda surprised me that it was that much. I don't do any what i would call, "extended idling" other than normal stuff like picking up kids at school, drive throughs, etc.

The '17 is really nice and seems to have been very well maintained. When I bought my current truck, I didn't understand or even know about idle time percentages. Turns out it had a higher percentage than the 17 I looked at. I haven't had any issues with my truck at all but I did lose the rocket ship under the truck after I hit 100k. Did it as a proactive measure.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:24 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,367 Likes on 4,626 Posts
I'm at 39,676 miles with 1176 engine hours and 190 idle hours. That's just over 16 percent. I guess I have let it idle a little more than I thought.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:40 AM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Must be nice to drive your trucks on the expressways instead of sitting at stop lights.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:49 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,367 Likes on 4,626 Posts
Originally Posted by dirthawg
Must be nice to drive your trucks on the expressways instead of sitting at stop lights.

Okay, I guess mine isn't as bad as yours at 24%.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:36 PM
jav_eee
Laughing Gas
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Well you're not gonna get very far with your parking brake set.....

Old 04-12-2019, 05:03 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
My 2015 is 42641 miles with 935 engine hours and 66 idle...7% idle hours.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:05 PM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
Those are good numbers, Larry !

Old 04-12-2019, 05:38 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jav_eee
Well you're not gonna get very far with your parking brake set.....
Is that what I'm doing wrong? If that's the case I will stop using that little peddle on the left to lower my idle count!

Hey Larry wanna trade trucks? Mines newer with lower hours.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:51 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Is that what I'm doing wrong? If that's the case I will stop using that little peddle on the left to lower my idle count!

Hey Larry wanna trade trucks? Mines newer with lower hours.
LOL....better keep it...has been good to me so far with no issues......and it is paid for going on 3 years now...and you might not like the steel wheels on all 4 corners...lol

Quick Reply: High idle hours?