6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

High idle hours?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 03:00 PM
jav_eee
Laughing Gas
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Oops.

10 characters

Attached Images  
Old 04-13-2019, 03:06 PM
RIPbiker13
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Overkill2
Probably not...

"Breakin the law...Breakin the law!"

Haha not me, but everyone on YouTube goes to Mexico and things fall off. That's what they say...

Old 04-13-2019, 04:02 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by RIPbiker13
What if the DPF fell off? Would idle hours matter then?

#exhaustleak
With EGR, yes.

Old 04-13-2019, 04:50 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,367 Likes on 4,626 Posts
Originally Posted by kper05
With EGR, yes.

Kper, you mean if you're deleted and didn't remove the EGR cooler?

Old 04-13-2019, 04:53 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Haha not me, but everyone on YouTube goes to Mexico and things fall off. That's what they say...
My dad had a saying that I live by today:

"You can't bull**** a bull****ter."

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-13-2019, 05:28 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Idling clogs the EGR cooler faster than driving. If the DPF falls off the EGR would still clog. If the tune used for removing the DPF also disabled the EGR then idling wouldn't be an issue unless the engine is allowed to idle for more than an hour at a time without a load.

It's my understanding a diesel engine does not maintain normal operation temperature at idle. This is more of an issue during cold weather. I've read that "wet stacking" occurs after 1 hour of continuous idling.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:57 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Correct. And all of the piping.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:24 PM
RIPbiker13
Senior User
The tune disables the egr and the butterfly valve is shut off, so nothing runs through it.
My dad had a saying that I live by today:

"You can't bull**** a bull****ter."
Yeah, but you put me on blast!

Old 04-13-2019, 06:30 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by dirthawg
Idling clogs the EGR cooler faster than driving. If the DPF falls off the EGR would still clog. If the tune used for removing the DPF also disabled the EGR then idling wouldn't be an issue unless the engine is allowed to idle for more than an hour at a time without a load.

It's my understanding a diesel engine does not maintain normal operation temperature at idle. This is more of an issue during cold weather. I've read that "wet stacking" occurs after 1 hour of continuous idling.
Correct. And all of the piping.
Okay, I'm still figuring out the delete concept here. So are you guys saying you can run DPFless and still run with the EGR system enabled in a delete tune? I thought all weight loss tunes disable the EGR system.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:43 PM
RIPbiker13
Senior User
Okay, I'm still figuring out the delete concept here. So are you guys saying you can run DPFless and still run with the EGR system enabled in a delete tune? I thought all weight loss tunes disable the EGR system.
The EGR is disabled with the tune. I can monitor the EGR and it reads zero. I'll post a pic in a few. So the EGR doesn't flow exhaust into the engine when it is disabled. The DPF being disabled and NOT removed will clog and will only blow out the turbo if you're lucky. So a straight pipe is a minimum for delete along with the tune.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:54 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Well... likely I'm the one who has this wrong. I thought commanding the bypass actuator closed only bypasses the cooler but if the piping is still in place then the right bank is still pushing EGR because nothing physical is blocking it. I guess this would mean high temps are back into the cold side so that wouldn't be good for performance. Is it instead the first actuator with the position sensor that actually gets disabled, such as during an active regeneration?

This is a cab/chassis diagram but close enough.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:33 PM
RIPbiker13
Senior User
Well... likely I'm the one who has this wrong. I thought commanding the bypass actuator closed only bypasses the cooler but if the piping is still in place then the right bank is still pushing EGR because nothing physical is blocking it. I guess this would mean high temps are back into the cold side so that wouldn't be good for performance. Is it instead the first actuator with the position sensor that actually gets disabled, such as during an active regeneration?
I'm hoping someone that knows will chime in. I have asked this and it was explained to me that the EGR doesn't dump all the exhaust gas into the intake, but uses a valve and sensors to regulate it. The tune disables the valve, physically closing it off from the engine and the coolant still flows through it. When it leaks, then remove it all together.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:31 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

I'm hoping someone that knows will chime in. I have asked this and it was explained to me that the EGR doesn't dump all the exhaust gas into the intake, but uses a valve and sensors to regulate it. The tune disables the valve, physically closing it off from the engine and the coolant still flows through it. When it leaks, then remove it all together.
Leaks or you need to do fuel injector work on 1-4.

Yeah, clearly I have misunderstood what is going on with the exhaust gases. I was thinking with all of the piping in place, it was behaving similar to an active regeneration where it bypasses the cooling section of the EGR cooler (which is why folks put in the plates). (See image).

From various material:

An electronic, proportional valve controls EGR rates with an integral position sensor (EGRP). Flows are determined by valve position and the amount that backpressure exceeds boost pressure. An EGR throttle (EGRTP) is used for regeneration control as well as to optimize the boost pressure vs. backpressure levels.

Intake Side
Air is drawn through the air filter then past the Mass Air Flow (MAF) and Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensors. The
MAF sensor measures the mass of the air entering the engine and IAT obtains the temperature. Next, the air enters
the compressor side of the turbocharger through the lower intake manifold. The air is compressed above atmospheric
pressure. The compressing process causes the air to heat up. Directing the air to an air to coolant Charge Air Cooler
(CAC). From the CAC the air passes the CAC temperature sensor and through the intake throttle body and into the other
side of the lower intake manifold. Inside the lower intake manifold the air mixes with EGR gases (if EGR valve is open),
travels to the upper intake manifold, and through the right and left side rocker covers to the intake ports of the cylinder
heads.
Exhaust Side
Exhaust gases exit the exhaust ports into the inboard exhaust manifolds. Exhaust gases are directed to the dual inlet
of the turbo via the right and left side up-pipe. The exhaust spins the turbine wheel inside the turbocharger. The turbine
wheel spins the compressor wheel(s) via their common shaft. Some of the exhaust from the passenger side manifold is
directed to the EGR valve through the EGR inlet pipe. When the EGR valve is being operated, exhaust flow goes through
the valve then either through the EGR cooler or bypassing the cooler. This is done by the EGR cooler bypass valve. The
exhaust gas enters the lower intake manifold and combines with the fresh air.
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR)
The EGR system allows cooled (inert) exhaust gases to re-enter the combustion chamber, which lowers combustion
temperatures and Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx) emissions.
EGR system control is based off an air system model to estimate the percentage of exhaust gas in the cylinder. The
PCM looks at engine temperature, intake pressure, exhaust pressure (EP), RPM, and engine load to determine the EGR
flow rate. The ratio of MAP and EP is used by the PCM to estimate a desired EGR valve position. The desired position is
compared to the actual and the duty cycle is adjusted to meet that desired position for the required EGR flow rate. If the
rate is not achieved with EGR valve position, the intake throttle body closes to a desired position, reducing intake manifold
pressure. Reducing the intake manifold pressure increases the pressure ratio allowing more exhaust to fill the intake
manifold at a given EGR valve position. As more exhaust gas is introduced into the intake manifold the amount of air
measured by the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor is decreased.
The 6.7L has a hot side EGR valve due to it being before the EGR cooler. Once past the EGR valve, the exhaust gas is
either directed through the EGR cooler or bypasses the EGR cooler. This is done by the PCM controlling the EGR cooler
bypass solenoid which turns vacuum on or off to the actuator on the bypass door. The EGR outlet temperature (EGRT)
sensor measures the temperature of the exhaust gas leaving the system for cooler effectiveness and bypass control.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:53 PM
RIPbiker13
Senior User
Well, now I just dont know anymore. The plates are to keep coolant from pouring out when the EGR is removed, but there's also a plate for the exhaust...

I said I didn't know, just repeating what I was told...

Old 04-13-2019, 08:57 PM
Magnolia Tom
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to close the loop on this I did end up buying the truck. I got a good deal on it and a fair price on my trade (which they happily took even knowing it was deleted....I just had to bring the parts to give them). I'm happy with it as is the wife.

If anything should go south, the Dpf system may end up falling off as the previous one did, lol

I didn't have any issues with my old truck, just deleted after the warranty expired and before anything clogged up.

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: High idle hours?