6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

High idle hours?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 09:01 PM
RIPbiker13
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom
Just to close the loop on this I did end up buying the truck. I got a good deal on it and a fair price on my trade (which they happily took even knowing it was deleted....I just had to bring the parts to give them). I'm happy with it as is the wife.

If anything should go south, the Dpf system may end up falling off as the previous one did, lol

I didn't have any issues with my old truck, just deleted after the warranty expired and before anything clogged up.
Congrats! Good looking truck!

Do you have know about the EGR questions we're suddenly wondering!? Lol

Old 04-13-2019, 09:02 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Yes because this pipe (left arrow) could be removed keeping the cooler in place. The backside closer to the firewall is where one of the DPF EGT sensors could be installed (up arrow) to monitor EGT's closer to where they should be monitored.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:04 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Just to close the loop on this I did end up buying the truck. I got a good deal on it and a fair price on my trade (which they happily took even knowing it was deleted....I just had to bring the parts to give them). I'm happy with it as is the wife.

If anything should go south, the Dpf system may end up falling off as the previous one did, lol

I didn't have any issues with my old truck, just deleted after the warranty expired and before anything clogged up.
Nice upgrade!

Old 04-13-2019, 09:08 PM
Magnolia Tom
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kper05
Nice upgrade!
Thanks!
Previous truck was 2wd Platinum dually
New to me truck is 4wd Lariat with ultimate package

New truck makes the old one seem so old in comparison.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:10 PM
Magnolia Tom
Elder User
Originally Posted by RIPbiker13
Congrats! Good looking truck!

Do you have know about the EGR questions we're suddenly wondering!? Lol
Thanks! I'm not sure what you are asking, lol

Do i have knowledge about?

Old 04-13-2019, 09:13 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Thanks!
Previous truck was 2wd Platinum dually
New to me truck is 4wd Lariat with ultimate package

New truck makes the old one seem so old in comparison.
I like the factory suspension height of the 4x4 DRWs over the 4x2s.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:15 PM
Magnolia Tom
Elder User
Originally Posted by kper05
I like the factory suspension height of the 4x4 DRWs over the 4x2s.
I do too but this thing is huge. Hopefully my trailer won't be too nose high.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:21 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Sounds like a good Sunday afternoon learning event!

Old 04-13-2019, 09:22 PM
RIPbiker13
Senior User
I do too but this thing is huge. Hopefully my trailer won't be too nose high.
I'd be surprised if it was, that's what it's made for. Great looking truck and I think they should all be 4x4.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:37 PM
Claluja
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I want to emphasize that idling stock 6.7s overnight is a nightmare, especially when you have to work behind the idling truck in the morning.

Emission components get clogged, but truck won't regen when idling and below operating temp, and the stuff that comes out the exhaust pipe when the dreaded "drive to clean" message is on will kill your lungs quick. Bad stuff. Hopefully someday they can get the emissions stuff right on these trucks.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:48 PM
Magnolia Tom
Elder User
Originally Posted by RIPbiker13
I'd be surprised if it was, that's what it's made for. Great looking truck and I think they should all be 4x4.
With my 2wd Platinum the truck and trailer were perfectly level. New truck is at least 6" taller so hopefully I can get it dialed in

Old 04-13-2019, 09:53 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Claluja
I want to emphasize that idling stock 6.7s overnight is a nightmare, especially when you have to work behind the idling truck in the morning.

Emission components get clogged, but truck won't regen when idling and below operating temp, and the stuff that comes out the exhaust pipe when the dreaded "drive to clean" message is on will kill your lungs quick. Bad stuff. Hopefully someday they can get the emissions stuff right on these trucks.
I've never had the drive to clean but when a regen blows that blue (ish) smoke, it smells terrible. In fact, it's painful. When nearly everything was going wrong on mine, it would smoke terribly during an active regeneration. In addition, the DEF injector had failed and was stuck fully open so that wasn't helping.

I felt bad for the vehicles behind me with my fully stock truck. The worst was one day I was light throttle at less than 30 MPH and smoked out a county road crew working on a two lane even at that low RPM and speed.

This is the first time it did it three years ago before things began failing. This was parked regeneration. It didn't do this again for a long time then became a regular occurrence in late 2017.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:29 PM
RIPbiker13
Senior User
I hate to get into a debate over this, but the emissions on diesels that were put into place by the EPA by the direction of the Obama administration. It was NEVER aboot clean air, ot was about money.

Regen is bad for the truck, burns more fuel, uses acrid chemicals to "clean" the exhaust and only making the harmful particles so small, that when breathed in, can never get ot off the body. At least with fil size soot particles, the body can expel it. Also, the soot is heavier than air and settles to the ground harmlessly.

Im not saying it's not bad, it all is. Just saying that a regen is worse.

A normal truck burns less fuel, runs better, and lasts longer. But you can't regulate without regulations in place. It was always about money. Just like gun control, it's not about safety, it's about control.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-14-2019, 09:28 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,367 Likes on 4,626 Posts

Congrats on the new truck and good luck. I'm glad you and your wife are happy. Enjoy!

Old 04-14-2019, 10:35 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Ian123
The other thing people aren't mentioning is that cylinder washing not only occurs when idling, but also when your engine is not fully warmed up and the rings can't make a good seal. By idling the engine, you are keeping it up to temperature, ..
there’s a big debate about this

1) idle engine til warm theory = oil pressurizes, rings seal, heads warmed up so they don’t warp going from freezing to hot, on shut down goof for turbo bearings

2) key and drive theory= cylinder walls won’t polish better for oil retention, it would take 20 minutes to fully heat up heads at idle vs 5 a key and drive, oil is under full pressure after just a few seconds...by the time you shift to drive, turbo bearings have shown to last longer if you install a turbo oil resivior that feeds cold oil for a few minutes after shut down...there’s no evidence feeding hot oil at idle helps turbo bearings, with key on theory...rings seal in seconds once you hit rpms above idle.

me personally I do a 2 minute startup idle before driving and a 2 minute shut down idle....only becuase in the military that’s what we did with our aircraft fleet and it’s an old habit to try to break. My wife would not play the idle game until one February she blew a head gasket and I told her that’s was becuase you don’t startup idle ...you key and go and since the heads did not heat up correctly the gaskets slipped. She then started the 2 minute pre and post idle rule.

Quick Reply: High idle hours?