6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Thinking of adding another Custom tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 05:42 PM
Bohen
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thinking of adding another Custom tune

Everything is stock .What are people running for a daily driver tune ? My truck is 2015 6.7 . Thank you For your input and advice.

Old 04-05-2019, 05:27 AM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What are you looking to achieve with a different tune?

Old 04-05-2019, 06:00 AM
Bohen
Laughing Gas
My buddy said the tow tune is good but the performance one will give you better daily driveability. Not sure of it , he is also running Tyrant tunes. He said there is a slight increase in miles per gallon I personally think that is a long stretch but figured I would ask. Thanks again oh this is the same buddy that told me just upload the custom tune remove the DPF ,no need to remove the EGR because the tuner will turn it off . ¿? This is not my thinking it is his so please be kind to me be unload on him , I cant wait to tell him .

Old 04-05-2019, 12:03 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Is your delete done? I ask, because you need to drive your current tune awhile to decide for yourself if you want another tune or not. If you're wanting a tune, simply for miles per gallon, I doubt it makes a difference between them. Just eliminating the regen process adds mileage by itself. The advice of not removing the EGR just because the tuner turns it off isn't very solid. Your coolant will dead-end at block off plates if you don't remove it, but yes.....it will work. It will work BETTER if removed, and will flow freely.

Old 04-05-2019, 05:50 PM
Bohen
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by UP_There
Is your delete done? I ask, because you need to drive your current tune awhile to decide for yourself if you want another tune or not. If you're wanting a tune, simply for miles per gallon, I doubt it makes a difference between them. Just eliminating the regen process adds mileage by itself. The advice of not removing the EGR just because the tuner turns it off isn't very solid. Your coolant will dead-end at block off plates if you don't remove it, but yes.....it will work. It will work BETTER if removed, and will flow freely.
it's not deleted yet but very , I already have a delete kit for it I just didn't know if what he was saying held weight . Wont it still dead-end still ?

This kit

Old 04-08-2019, 11:27 PM
goatram
Mountain Pass

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a Shift on the Fly Tyrant Tunes with one of them a Tow Tune on a SCT X4. Bought from Alligator Performance. Won't discuss Mileage with me. Might be something to do with the Feds.At first did not like them. Went to Quick Tricks Tuning down in Florida. Eric Hooked me up with both a Tow and a Performance Tune. Its a pain in the Rear to switch tunes between the Tyrant and QT. QT requires you to go back to Stock then load a Load First Tune then load either the tow or performance Tune. The Performance Tune still kicks a code P004D out. Clears but if hammered the code comes back. I was told to buy a Cold Air S&B Air Cleaner to keep the code from announcing. Eric was out of office 2 weeks ago and Vivian took my info but so far has not gotten back with me as to why i get it on the performance tune. Still not happy with the Mileage. I'm at 15.2 MPG. The Performance Tune Belches Black Smoke if its Hammer Time. They got my $300 for the Tunes and $300 for the Air Cleaner but if no call back that means that they don't want my money or referral in the future.

Went back to the SOF Tunes and the third position does not belch as much smoke but the 4 position does. The mileage is still around 15mpg. need to load the Tow Tune to use the boat this weekend. With the Quick Tricks tune I was at 14.8mpg. I'm gonna try the Tyrant tow. Will see what I get for that for the next Month. Still a couple of trips upcoming before I stick my boat down in Westport, WA Then it is back and forth the 360 mile round trips on the weekend to go fish. Then it is back to the performance tune to see which gets the best tune. My old 05 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW would get 21mpg if kept at 60mph. My "15" F350 DRW got 14mpg with emissions installed. People state they get great mileage tuned but not me. A friend with Quick Trick Tunes has shown me picks of his overhead Lie O Meter showing 21mpg on the 200hp tune. His truck is a "14" F250 SRW.

I'm happy with my Choice thou. I spent this money and no longer Jonesing for a New 2019 Aluminum Truck. Local Dealer Called me Said they have a Deal FOR ME 2 days after I purchased the package. I said Would you still offer me that deal; He got quiet, then Said NO. I said Good Bye!

Old 04-09-2019, 04:21 AM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by goatram
Still not happy with the Mileage. I'm at 15.2 MPG. The Performance Tune Belches Black Smoke if its Hammer Time. They got my $300 for the Tunes and $300 for the Air Cleaner but if no call back that means that they don't want my money or referral in the future.

Went back to the SOF Tunes and the third position does not belch as much smoke but the 4 position does. The mileage is still around 15mpg. need to load the Tow Tune to use the boat this weekend. With the Quick Tricks tune I was at 14.8mpg.

My old 05 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW would get 21mpg if kept at 60mph. My "15" F350 DRW got 14mpg with emissions installed. People state they get great mileage tuned but not me. A friend with Quick Trick Tunes has shown me picks of his overhead Lie O Meter showing 21mpg on the 200hp tune. His truck is a "14" F250 SRW.
You can't chase mileage with these trucks and expect good results. They make too much power to get mileage like the old 7.3s. I can show you pictures of 24mpg on my '16 on the 200hp tune, but it doesn't mean I can get that for a full tank. I can show you 10mpg for a full tank though. Most people will average 15-16 after deleting.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:28 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The mileage increase that you see after deleted has only a tiny bit to do with which tunes, and everything to do with you're not wasting fuel for regens. Something doesn't sound like it's setup properly though, for your stuff Goatram. I'm getting slightly better mpg's running 37" tires

Old 04-16-2019, 03:39 PM
doczenith1
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I have the performance (110 hp) Tyrant tune installed on my truck. Last week I put 800 unloaded highway miles on the truck. 500 miles of that was 70-75 mph using cruise control with no wind to speak of. Some small hills. Averaged 20.1 mpg. Seems like before I deleted I would have been around 18 mpg. I agree that not doing regens has a big part on the increased fuel mileage. The reduction of back pressure probably helps a little also.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:38 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I haven't deleted my '14 Lariat yet. Still stock. In town driving, some spirited I'm usually in the 13 to 14 mpg range. Deleting soon but not really for fuel mileage. I agree that the mileage increase will come from the less restrictive exhaust and no regens.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:38 AM
goatram
Mountain Pass

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Deuce40s
You can't chase mileage with these trucks and expect good results. They make too much power to get mileage like the old 7.3s. I can show you pictures of 24mpg on my '16 on the 200hp tune, but it doesn't mean I can get that for a full tank. I can show you 10mpg for a full tank though. Most people will average 15-16 after deleting.
Last week's refuel the hand Calculated was 16.2 with the overhead was showing 14.7 on the Quick Trick Tow Tune. I screwed up yesterday and kept a car behind me cause ??? Raced it a bit. Sucked a bit of fuel. Now at 15.1 on the Tyrant Tow Tune. Will refuel over the weekend to check it again by hand Calculation.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:11 AM
Superdave71
Tuned
Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
I had thought about changing up my tune as well, so I called a couple of the vendors that are spoken highly of here. I was disappointed to find that the epa is really cracking down and I was unable to find a vendor with anything emission delete available.

Old 04-17-2019, 01:46 PM
jav_eee
Laughing Gas
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by goatram
I have a Shift on the Fly Tyrant Tunes with one of them a Tow Tune on a SCT X4. Bought from Alligator Performance. Won't discuss Mileage with me. Might be something to do with the Feds.At first did not like them. Went to Quick Tricks Tuning down in Florida. Eric Hooked me up with both a Tow and a Performance Tune. Its a pain in the Rear to switch tunes between the Tyrant and QT. QT requires you to go back to Stock then load a Load First Tune then load either the tow or performance Tune. The Performance Tune still kicks a code P004D out. Clears but if hammered the code comes back. I was told to buy a Cold Air S&B Air Cleaner to keep the code from announcing. Eric was out of office 2 weeks ago and Vivian took my info but so far has not gotten back with me as to why i get it on the performance tune. Still not happy with the Mileage. I'm at 15.2 MPG. The Performance Tune Belches Black Smoke if its Hammer Time. They got my $300 for the Tunes and $300 for the Air Cleaner but if no call back that means that they don't want my money or referral in the future.

Went back to the SOF Tunes and the third position does not belch as much smoke but the 4 position does. The mileage is still around 15mpg. need to load the Tow Tune to use the boat this weekend. With the Quick Tricks tune I was at 14.8mpg. I'm gonna try the Tyrant tow. Will see what I get for that for the next Month. Still a couple of trips upcoming before I stick my boat down in Westport, WA Then it is back and forth the 360 mile round trips on the weekend to go fish. Then it is back to the performance tune to see which gets the best tune. My old 05 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW would get 21mpg if kept at 60mph. My "15" F350 DRW got 14mpg with emissions installed. People state they get great mileage tuned but not me. A friend with Quick Trick Tunes has shown me picks of his overhead Lie O Meter showing 21mpg on the 200hp tune. His truck is a "14" F250 SRW.

I'm happy with my Choice thou. I spent this money and no longer Jonesing for a New 2019 Aluminum Truck. Local Dealer Called me Said they have a Deal FOR ME 2 days after I purchased the package. I said Would you still offer me that deal; He got quiet, then Said NO. I said Good Bye!
How does the SOTF work with the X4? I imagine it has to stay plugged in. Do you have it mounted on the dash?