6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Tuners, EGR and DPF delete questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 05:53 PM
DGB3
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuners, EGR and DPF delete questions.

So I bought a 2008 F350 6.4L a few months ago. I love the truck but have some questions. So the truck came with the DPF delete installed via a bolt on straight pipe. The EGR delete installed via a Pro-Flo intake elbow. I understand these need a tuner to disable them however the dealer did not give me one with the truck. They did not mention that this stuff was installed either (I knew it was upon looking the truck over). Also we have inspections in NC (don't know if they just look or plug in, I havnt had to get one). The dealer gave me free inspection on the truck for life (probably because they knew it wouldn't pass otherwise with this stuff installed). My question I guess is if a tune is written to the truck does the tuner have to be installed still for the tune to work (I guess not because i havnt had any problems). So would I be able to install a different tuner since I don't have the factory tune? Or is there a tuner that could be permanently wired in somewhere?

Old 12-15-2015, 07:24 PM
CrazySob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First thing is first, yes you tune a 6.4 via a flash tuner. This means once it writes the tune to the pcm/tcm you can remove it from the truck.

Second, I HIGHLY recommend you acquire yourself another tuner so you can make sure you aren't running a 300hp tune... If you do have a hot tune loaded you will be in with a cracked piston and or head gaskets if you tow. In order to do this you will need to buy a new delete capable tuner (Spartan is probably my favorite because the tunes are awesome and it works great as a monitor) then go to your dealer (or anyone with an IDS) and have the truck reflashed back to stock. Then without starting the truck plug in your new tuner, load whatever tune your hear desires, and get on with life

Old 12-15-2015, 07:53 PM
DGB3
Senior User
Originally Posted by CrazySob
First thing is first, yes you tune a 6.4 via a flash tuner. This means once it writes the tune to the pcm/tcm you can remove it from the truck.

Second, I HIGHLY recommend you acquire yourself another tuner so you can make sure you aren't running a 300hp tune... If you do have a hot tune loaded you will be in with a cracked piston and or head gaskets if you tow. In order to do this you will need to buy a new delete capable tuner (Spartan is probably my favorite because the tunes are awesome and it works great as a monitor) then go to your dealer (or anyone with an IDS) and have the truck reflashed back to stock. Then without starting the truck plug in your new tuner, load whatever tune your hear desires, and get on with life
Thanks for the help and info. I'll look into a tuner. I don't think it has any crazy tune on it bc it doesn't seem to roll coal like I know it could or anything. I was under the impression the tuner had to stay plugged in with the truck or something would be messed up.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:58 PM
CrazySob
Senior User
6.4s generally don't smoke much... Hot tuning will dump some serious smoke at wot for the first second or so but nothing like a cummins. Our turbos can actually clean up and handle the fuel that our injectors are capable of sending. Thats why the 6.4 builds so much power even in stock form.

And no, the 6.4 won't accept a "chip" you must flash the pcm and once flashed you can remove the tuner.

You really want to be very sure what tune is in the truck before you tow btw.........

Old 12-15-2015, 09:04 PM
DGB3
Senior User
Originally Posted by CrazySob
6.4s generally don't smoke much... Hot tuning will dump some serious smoke at wot for the first second or so but nothing like a cummins. Our turbos can actually clean up and handle the fuel that our injectors are capable of sending. Thats why the 6.4 builds so much power even in stock form.

And no, the 6.4 won't accept a "chip" you must flash the pcm and once flashed you can remove the tuner.

You really want to be very sure what tune is in the truck before you tow btw.........
That makes sense. The previous owner had a fifth wheel installed so I doubt it's got a crazy tune. But I understand what your saying about knowing what tune it does have. Thanks for the help, I know my way around a gasser but this is my first diesel and it was a very pretty penny so I want to be careful with it and know what's what before I do anything.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:02 PM
CrazySob
Senior User
I know of more than a few 6.4s that were traded in and the owner pulled their tuner out and left the 250+hp tunes on the pcm causing the new owner to wonder why they blew their motor pulling a camper........

Thats the only reason I bring it up, you ALWAYS want to know what what tune your truck has in it.