Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Theft Prevention

Old 03-24-2019, 09:25 AM
stevie 89
New User
stevie 89 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Theft Prevention

Howdy! New owner of a 250XL 6.7 4X4 in Houston TX. Unfortunately been reading about how easy these things are to break into and/or steal.

I have been considering the Jimmie Jammer and maybe Ravelco things.

My concern with the Jimmie Jammer is am I making a potential problem worse. Right now my truck is really easy to break into but also relatively easy to fix after. If I make it harder to break into, am I just encouraging a thief to go after the door with a screwdriver and a $800 fix instead becomes a several thousand? I usually donít keep much in the truck but sometimes thereís stuff worth stealing.

any opinions appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:00 AM
Tom N OH
Senior User
Tom N OH is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If they really want in, they're GOING to get in. You can secure the door itself like Fort Knox & they'll just break the glass. Unfortunately, it's a no win situation. The JJ & the Ravelco might slow them down. MIGHT.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:12 AM
69cj
Post Fiend
69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
That's why I have insurance. Why spend money that's going to cause them to destroy your truck. Just lock your truck and don't leave anything in sight from the outside.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:56 AM
Joe T
Elder User
Joe T is starting off with a positive reputation.
I’m in Houston too and familiar with theft rings considering my line of business. Supposidly not as bad as around San Antonio.

So far ive put a hose clamp on my tailgate hinge on the right side and chained down my bed cover. If possible backing up close to something makes the tailgate difficult to steal. I use an RFID blocking key fob case as well.

I agree on the jimmy jammers. Instead I plan to put a passenger side door handle on the drivers side as the locking mechanism is a joke. I had my 2015 F150 for 45k miles and never used the door key.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:59 AM
Joe T
Elder User
Joe T is starting off with a positive reputation.
Also I am going to see about re routing the horn wiring as theives cut that prior to breaking in.

As far as the insurance comment above. Yeah I get it but the stuff ive mentioned is pretty easy. Its a deterrent as it throws them off when trying to break in.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:27 PM
falconetti
Senior User
falconetti is starting off with a positive reputation.
I use the jimmy jammer and will be installing on this third truck. It is true they can get in if they really want to, but the fact is you can walk up to a truck with channel locks and appear as though you have opened the door with a key making it hard to spot the problem.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:21 PM
blueglide
Senior User
blueglide is starting off with a positive reputation.
You are asking about two separate issues...getting into your new truck and second, taking your new truck. Getting in can't be stopped as long as vehicles have glass windows. Taking your truck can be stopped short of the thief having a tow truck. I defy anyone to steal my truck with the Ravelco installed. They advertise that no vehicle has ever been stolen with a properly installed RAVELCO device.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:14 PM
redbowtie
Freshman User
redbowtie is starting off with a positive reputation.
This is Texas ... start shooting the sons a bitches, put the fear of god into them, damn theives all need to be shot.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:43 PM
llmflyfisher
Senior User
llmflyfisher is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by blueglide View Post
You are asking about two separate issues...getting into your new truck and second, taking your new truck. Getting in can't be stopped as long as vehicles have glass windows. Taking your truck can be stopped short of the thief having a tow truck. I defy anyone to steal my truck with the Ravelco installed. They advertise that no vehicle has ever been stolen with a properly installed RAVELCO device.
Truth. There is no way the truck can be started to be driven away with the Ravelco. The only way to steal it is to load it on a flat bed truck. Period. But true also that as long as there are windows, there will be no stopping a thief or vandal from getting in.
Just got a Ravelco installed. Pull the plug and the engine quits right now. Will not start. First in, last out. First thing getting in, install the plug. Stopping somewhere to get out, pull the plug and put on your keychain. Now remotes that detect the RFID do not matter.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:03 PM
RONMCHUGH
Senior User
RONMCHUGH is starting off with a positive reputation.
If they want it bad enough , they're going to get it .

Old 03-24-2019, 09:38 PM
stevie 89
New User
Originally Posted by Joe T View Post
Iím in Houston too and familiar with theft rings considering my line of business. Supposidly not as bad as around San Antonio.

So far ive put a hose clamp on my tailgate hinge on the right side and chained down my bed cover. If possible backing up close to something makes the tailgate difficult to steal. I use an RFID blocking key fob case as well.

I agree on the jimmy jammers. Instead I plan to put a passenger side door handle on the drivers side as the locking mechanism is a joke. I had my 2015 F150 for 45k miles and never used the door key.
OK I actually put a hose clamp on my tailgate the day after I brought it home. I like the idea of removing the lock, I spent a few minutes looking for a part number for the passenger door handle online with no joy. Maybe Iíll go by the dealer this week. Thanks -

​​​​​​ó stevie

Old 03-27-2019, 12:31 PM
Toledo
Senior User
Toledo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
HC3Z-2626605-CDPTM

just bought mine from tommie Vaughn ford. about $80 its a paint to match (PTM) part, I believe mcree ford had a one that was painted white but that didn't do me any good.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:55 PM
llmflyfisher
Senior User
llmflyfisher is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by RONMCHUGH View Post
If they want it bad enough , they're going to get it .
True, but with Ravelco installed the thief will NOT be driving it away.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:05 PM
Beechkid
Beechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud of
Ravelco...ok, it basically funnels all the of the main engine harness into the car where you connect a connector plug to complete the circuits. The good news, the common person trying to steal the car will just walk away, but it does not stop them from taking your stereo, seats, or anything easily left. For the pro, it's a no brainer..... as if they really want the car they are simply going to tow it or the really good pro's have an insulated car trailer.....even if the alarm is activating no one can hear it and yes, you can easily defeat the transmitting signal (if so equipped).

IMHO, you can't stop the determined pro or highly skilled better than amateur person from getting into your vehicle or stealing it..... they are just not designed for such and the software systems used in the cars today are easily accessed wirelessly deactivating onstar, etc., unlocking the doors and starting the engines......heck, you can even take control away from the driver of the vehicle at any speed...if equipped with electric steering, under 30 mph- the bad guy can also have complete control of the steering as well....in addition to the brakes, throttle, HVAC, entertainment system etc. at any speed. IMHO, the best way to approach it is..

1. install a wireless system that detects movement near the car..... that silently notifies you.....and then allows you the option of activating the horn, siren, etc.....rattling the "cages" of the person befor they have "begun" puts the amateur in a fight or flight scenario..... most will run....if they stick around trying to succeed most will fail because they are nervous and loose manipulative skills.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:13 PM
stevie 89
New User
Originally Posted by Toledo View Post
HC3Z-2626605-CDPTM

just bought mine from tommie Vaughn ford. about $80 its a paint to match (PTM) part, I believe mcree ford had a one that was painted white but that didn't do me any good.
My truck does not have the painted door handles, they're black. Working online with oempartsource.com, they came up with JC3Z-2522404-AA using my VIN number. I'll know in a week or so.

Thanks -

- steve

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.