Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Theft Prevention

Old 03-31-2019, 06:49 AM
llmflyfisher
Senior User
llmflyfisher is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well how about that?!? I didn't know there was a key in there. When I picked up my truck, I got zero instruction in how to use anything. Literally nothing. Not a big deal, I will discover all in time. Like yesterday, the power deployed steps quit working. I freaked out, went to dealership to see if they could show me why they were not working. Turns out there is a setting in a menu that can be accessed on the dash to turn those off or on or automatic. I don't think I turned them off, but in the settings they were in fact turned off. Turned them back to auto, now working perfect just like before. Been working 7-12s on turnaround and haven't had time to go thru the owners manual to learn all this stuff yet. I did take all the connectors on the stern of the truck apart and stuff with dielectric grease to keep water out so hopefully I will never see all the debilitating electrical gremlins pop up in the future.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:35 AM
Tom in PGH
New User
Tom in PGH is starting off with a positive reputation.
While it may seem overwhelming, at nearly 700 pages, it looks like nearly everything is in the manual. While "Guys don't read manuals", in this case it can be invaluable. You can also download a PDF copy of the manual directly from the Ford site. I'm still about 3 weeks away from picking up my rig and I downloaded a copy to both my phone and tablet. I have been reading it in my spare time. 5 minutes here or there will add up, in the long run. This is my first diesel truck, and I don’t want to screw up a $75,000 investment (and it will be nice to understand how to operate all of those bells and whistles that I paid so much for).

Old 03-31-2019, 09:04 AM
rewillia
Senior User
rewillia is starting off with a positive reputation.
You can also access the Owner's manual(s) online which make them far easier to navigate and read. I save it to my browser favorites.

The following (link) will take you to the 2019 Super Duty Trucks;

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...rket=USA&div=f

Old 03-31-2019, 04:02 PM
GetMuddy
Freshman User
GetMuddy is starting off with a positive reputation.
I read through the PDF manual a number of times while waiting for my truck to be built. I still only really know what I use. 700 pages is a LOT. But I did load the PDF onto my smartphone so I have a copy of it available with me whenever I need to look something up.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:18 AM
FastTaurusSHO
Senior User
FastTaurusSHO is starting off with a positive reputation.
My truck was broken into via the lock cylinder in Houston. I opted for a passenger side front door handle to be painted and installed, eliminating the lock cylinder and lock rod.

I decided against the jimmi jammers, because the door skin will be damaged, and I have a zero dollar deductible.
I was lucky my alarm scared off my guy, so he didn't get my gun.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:26 AM
Paulgl32
Senior User
Paulgl32 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Should I just disconnect the rod so it won't open with pliers? Anyone done it?
I do have a safe in console and live in a decent neighborhood just don't want any surprises

Old 04-01-2019, 09:48 AM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
BIGTRUCKBIGRV is a splendid one to beholdBIGTRUCKBIGRV is a splendid one to beholdBIGTRUCKBIGRV is a splendid one to beholdBIGTRUCKBIGRV is a splendid one to beholdBIGTRUCKBIGRV is a splendid one to beholdBIGTRUCKBIGRV is a splendid one to beholdBIGTRUCKBIGRV is a splendid one to beholdBIGTRUCKBIGRV is a splendid one to behold
I have the OWL Car Cam and love it. It sends me a video clip anytime something bumps my truck. I see the inside and outside.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:53 AM
blueglide
Senior User
blueglide is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by FastTaurusSHO View Post
My truck was broken into via the lock cylinder in Houston. I opted for a passenger side front door handle to be painted and installed, eliminating the lock cylinder and lock rod.

I decided against the jimmi jammers, because the door skin will be damaged, and I have a zero dollar deductible.
I'm on several gun forums as well as this truck forum and I have read numerous times that the truck break in problem in Texas is a lot of thieves looking for guns. Is this a Texas thing? Where I came from I rarely heard of folks leaving their guns in their vehicles. I carry all the time but I never leave mine in the truck. I'm not judging but am curious if this a regional kinda thing. Seems if nobody left them in their vehicles that might be less incentive for thieves to break in looking for them. Do you guys leave them in your cars while at work or at home? Again, I'm not arguing right or wrong I'm just curious since it seems to be a Texas thing?? And I really don't want this to hijack into a gun/anti-gun debate. Years ago when I was younger tape decks and CB radios were the hot ticket item for thieves but they don't exist anymore.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:29 AM
rewillia
Senior User
rewillia is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by FastTaurusSHO View Post

what do you mean, “the door skin will be damaged”, please clarify.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:54 PM
texrun40
New User
texrun40 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm licensed carry in Texas, as are many. The reason there are often guns left in trucks 'might' be people like me that follow the law. In the carry laws, certain businesses can restrict open or concealed carry on their premises. You also can't take them into schools, houses of worship, any business that earns 51% or more of their revenue from the sales of alcohol, and a few other places. So...if you're like me and happen to be in Dallas and go to a customer or partner building and they don't allow it, 'if' you follow the law, you have to leave it in the vehicle. I'm also sure some people just stash more than one, get lazy sometimes, etc., so clearly it's a thing. I hope that helps explain one plausible reason why there may be guns in trucks in Texas. I personally follow that law, but carry on my person when I can.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:25 PM
landscapeguy
Senior User
landscapeguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Geez I am glad I dont live in texas... why is the theft problem so bad down there? I know people who have kept their keys in their vehicles for as long as they can remember, door unlocked and keys keys in the ignition. Most people I know around me do the same thing and I do not personally know a single person that has ever had a vehicle stolen... I didnt read the whole thread but I doubt it is the gun issue, we dont even need permits here and anyone can carry however they choose and lots of people do.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:41 PM
texrun40
New User
texrun40 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by landscapeguy View Post
Geez I am glad I dont live in texas... why is the theft problem so bad down there? I probably shouldnt admit this on a public forum but I think my keys have been in my ignition for 8 years now... other then when I travel to major cities. Most people I know around me do the same thing and I do not personally know a single person that has ever had a vehicle stolen... I didnt read the whole thread but I doubt it is the gun issue, we dont even need permits here and anyone can carry however they choose and lots of people do.
Short answer on total vehicle theft: proximity to Mexico and the smuggling trade across the border. Trucks can carry a lot across the border and over land without roads.

The other short answer on regular break-ins: petty crooks are petty crooks

When I was kid and young man, living VERY close to the Mexican border, we never locked our doors...could leave keys in cars, etc. like you have now. That all changed in mid 90s. Glad you live in an area that still has that. Cool to hear it still exists.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:35 AM
FastTaurusSHO
Senior User
Opportunistic thieves are looking for anything of value, cell phones, purse, wallet, guns. Basically anything they can grab and sell for money quickly.

The reason trucks are targeted is because for one, they are EVERYWHERE, and they are big (stand out). And they cost 50 to 90K. Someone that buys a truck that expensive is likely to have expensive things left inside. Once you identify a good way in to a particular truck, you can easily repeat the method on easy to find and spot vehicles.

I do not leave anything in my vehicle anymore of real value. My truck is not my daily driver. 98% of the time we are in town, the truck is at home in a good neighborhood. Unfortunately that day I drove it to work (bad part of town) because I needed to pick up some supplies on the way home.

My point is nobody staked out my truck for weeks, it was in the parking lot for <3 hours before it was hit, along a busy roadway.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:41 AM
FastTaurusSHO
Senior User
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
what do you mean, “the door skin will be damaged”, please clarify.
If you remove the lock cylinder and lock rods like I had done, what good are the jimi jammers?

The only way in at that point without breaking glass is using a screwdriver and mangling the door handle so badly that the whole handle comes out.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:46 AM
FastTaurusSHO
Senior User
Originally Posted by landscapeguy View Post
Geez I am glad I dont live in texas... why is the theft problem so bad down there? I know people who have kept their keys in their vehicles for as long as they can remember, door unlocked and keys keys in the ignition. Most people I know around me do the same thing and I do not personally know a single person that has ever had a vehicle stolen... I didnt read the whole thread but I doubt it is the gun issue, we dont even need permits here and anyone can carry however they choose and lots of people do.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you don't live in a city area with a population approaching 6 million people. It isn't a texas problem, it is a big city problem.

We went out to the country last year to visit friends and went to the local restaurant. Close to half the vehicles in the parking lot had windows down, I didn't look for keys in the ignition however.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.