2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Theft Prevention

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 12:09 PM
stevie 89
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by landscapeguy
Geez I am glad I dont live in texas... why is the theft problem so bad down there? I know people who have kept their keys in their vehicles for as long as they can remember, door unlocked and keys keys in the ignition. Most people I know around me do the same thing and I do not personally know a single person that has ever had a vehicle stolen... I didnt read the whole thread but I doubt it is the gun issue, we dont even need permits here and anyone can carry however they choose and lots of people do.
Here's one reason -

also, drugs...

- stevie

Old 04-02-2019, 06:21 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by FastTaurusSHO
If you remove the lock cylinder and lock rods like I had done, what good are the jimi jammers?

The only way in at that point without breaking glass is using a screwdriver and mangling the door handle so badly that the whole handle comes out.
jimmi-jammers stop the handle from coming out.. but they might have tried and mangled the door too.. more than without them..

Old 04-02-2019, 09:10 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by PackerBacker_TX
Unfortunately we live in a world chocked full of "stupid" and any halfwit with a rock can smash a window. So it's best effort to deter or slow them down.
* Aftermarket alarm system if OEM doesn't cut it. Some alert you if you're out of audible range.
* An integrated dash cam setup (or home/work cam) might get someone's picture to identify later.
* Parking in a well lit area or locked garage.
* Remove anything that looks valuable from plain sight. Out of sight, out of mind.
* Lo-jack or other tracking system. GPS tracking is CHEAP now, so that might be worth the effort. If you're really cheap, get a Bluetooth TrakR or TILE device.
* The "CLUB" for the steering wheel. It's gaudy but it's old school.
* Hose clamp or lock on the tailgate.
* Some states have voluntary programs where you can slap a sticker on the vehicle that allows police to pull you over if it's after midnight. Yeah, it's a bet sketchy but it's something.

Good Luck!
Would Plain English Work?

Old 04-03-2019, 08:18 AM
~erik~
Tuned
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Curt's05
Would Plain English Work?
Based on what I'm reading, plain Spanish might be better.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:44 AM
falconetti
Mountain Pass
Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sdetweil
jimmi-jammers stop the handle from coming out.. but they might have tried and mangled the door too.. more than without them..
As someone else said, with the lock removed and jimmy jammer in place some crooks will move on. No shortage of these trucks to break into. But yeah I believe if you have something in your truck a crook can see, and wants to get. smash and grab. The reason I use the jimmy jammer was because I was in a meeting for 30 min at a restaurant, at noon, and someone simply twisted the lock on my truck and then sat inside and went through all of my stuff. The stole a black case that contained a water quality test kit. Value=$25. total fail. with the jimmy jammer in place this would not have happened ( or less likely) at lunch on a very busy weekday. At night I still remove things that will entice the criminals, I made the mistake of leaving my MAX360 in my 4 runner and the window was broken, all caught on video, took less than 1 min to assess, break, grab, and run.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:06 AM
rewillia
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We all know that nothing will stop a determined thief and that's why we have insurance. That stated, anything we truck owners can do to mitigate and protect our assets is value adding in my opinion. For me that includes:

1) Avoid leaving items of tangible value visible inside the truck, i.e. lap-tops, tablets, smart phones, purses, back-packs, briefcases, etc. and try to park in well lighted locations
2) Ravelco installed; immobilizing ability to hot wire & drive off including relay attacks, only option is a tow-away (decals in windows); hopefully they "walk away"
3) Jimmi Jammers in all four doors, with mech. lock cylinder and rods removed (decals in windows); won't stop the vandals but it is what it is and with these too, hopefully they will walk away.
4) Locking wheel lugs (knowingly not a lot of protection but at least an effort)
5) Tailgate Lock (same as above)
6) Full size rim and spare underneath with tethered chain & lock
6) E&G Console Vault installed for casual security of small valuables or high risk items (i.e. fire-arm), i.e. valets, car detailers, etc.
7) Ford optional Perimeter Plus add-to security system installed with glass & body shock sensor (again, not a lot more but may serve as an additional deterrent at-least to the lessor experienced bandits)

Lastly, I always try to park next to nicer trucks than mine (hopefully they will take the bait and go for the other guy's ;-)

I spent many years abroad during my career and often refer back to an ancient African saying, "EVERY DAY IS FOR THE THIEF, ONE DAY IS FOR THE VICTIM" which implies that sooner or later a thief will find himself in the wrong place at the right time and meet his destiny one way or another!

Old 04-06-2019, 11:17 AM
77mmbass
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
I think I will find a way to put Taser prongs on my door handles that engage when the alarm is set. 50,000 volts should deter.
But knowing the tweakers they will probly get pissed off and put a brick through the windshield.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:00 PM
klbrown
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ~erik~
Based on what I'm reading, plain Spanish might be better.
From previous experience.Translating English to Spanish only works if they can read Spanish.
Many can not.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:31 PM
7591250sd
Senior User
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Maybe we should start a citizen justice club, sit in a few parking lots with pepper spray & 45ACP backup..

Old 04-06-2019, 09:06 PM
Favored
Junior User
VERY helpful. Thanks for posting this!
Originally Posted by rewillia
You can also access the Owner's manual(s) online which make them far easier to navigate and read. I save it to my browser favorites.

The following (link) will take you to the 2019 Super Duty Trucks;

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...rket=USA&div=f

Old 04-06-2019, 09:10 PM
texrun40
Mountain Pass
Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts
I’d love some of that poison spray Bruce Willis used on the handle of the minivan in The Jackal. That dude just touched it and 30-seconds later was dead. Do they sell that at O’Reilly Auto Parts? NAPA?

Old 04-12-2019, 02:20 PM
tdc_worm
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2017 F150 was stolen in San Antonio. No glass, no alarm, no sign of break in.
My 2017 F250 was broken in to yesterday. Door lock pop method. It was sitting next to another F250, same thing. They even taco'd his bed prying off and stealing the bed cover. Again, a well lit area, no alarm with a security guard.

I am a bit amazed that the thieves are able to knock these Fords over without tripping the alarm. Looks like I will be going the lock cylinder removal method.

Understanding that nothing is truly secure unless there are eyes on it, I do think the all or nothing mentality is a bit misguided when it comes to security.

Old 04-12-2019, 02:39 PM
stevie 89
New User
Originally Posted by tdc_worm
My 2017 F150 was stolen in San Antonio. No glass, no alarm, no sign of break in.
My 2017 F250 was broken in to yesterday. Door lock pop method. It was sitting next to another F250, same thing. They even taco'd his bed prying off and stealing the bed cover. Again, a well lit area, no alarm with a security guard.

I am a bit amazed that the thieves are able to knock these Fords over without tripping the alarm. Looks like I will be going the lock cylinder removal method.

Understanding that nothing is truly secure unless there are eyes on it, I do think the all or nothing mentality is a bit misguided when it comes to security.
Yeah - I ended up just removing the lock cylinder. I feel better, hoping the average lazy thief will just move on to easier pickings when they get to mine... Time will tell.

FWIW the rear driver's side door handle was the correct part. I watched a youtube video on a jimmyjammer install to figure out how to get the door apart, had the whole job done in about an hour. Maybe a 2/10 on the difficulty scale.

Good luck to you.

- stevie

Old 04-12-2019, 03:00 PM
tdc_worm
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stevie 89
Yeah - I ended up just removing the lock cylinder. I feel better, hoping the average lazy thief will just move on to easier pickings when they get to mine... Time will tell.

FWIW the rear driver's side door handle was the correct part. I watched a youtube video on a jimmyjammer install to figure out how to get the door apart, had the whole job done in about an hour. Maybe a 2/10 on the difficulty scale.

Good luck to you.

- stevie
With the proxy key and haptic lock and unluck sensor, I think that I am going to need to pull a passenger side front handle to use on the driver's side...

Old 04-12-2019, 03:11 PM
stevie 89
New User
Originally Posted by tdc_worm
With the proxy key and haptic lock and unluck sensor, I think that I am going to need to pull a passenger side front handle to use on the driver's side...
Your truck is fancier than mine. I'm kickin' it old school with an actual key.

I think you're right, you may have to make some minor mods to get the passenger side stuff to fit on the drivers side.

- stevie

Quick Reply: Theft Prevention