Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Theft Prevention

Old 03-27-2019, 01:26 PM
PackerBacker_TX
Junior User
PackerBacker_TX is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by stevie 89 View Post
Howdy! New owner of a 250XL 6.7 4X4 in Houston TX. Unfortunately been reading about how easy these things are to break into and/or steal.

I have been considering the Jimmie Jammer and maybe Ravelco things.

My concern with the Jimmie Jammer is am I making a potential problem worse. Right now my truck is really easy to break into but also relatively easy to fix after. If I make it harder to break into, am I just encouraging a thief to go after the door with a screwdriver and a $800 fix instead becomes a several thousand? I usually donít keep much in the truck but sometimes thereís stuff worth stealing.

any opinions appreciated. Thanks.
Unfortunately we live in a world chocked full of "stupid" and any halfwit with a rock can smash a window. So it's best effort to deter or slow them down.
* Aftermarket alarm system if OEM doesn't cut it. Some alert you if you're out of audible range.
* An integrated dash cam setup (or home/work cam) might get someone's picture to identify later.
* Parking in a well lit area or locked garage.
* Remove anything that looks valuable from plain sight. Out of sight, out of mind.
* Lo-jack or other tracking system. GPS tracking is CHEAP now, so that might be worth the effort. If you're really cheap, get a Bluetooth TrakR or TILE device.
* The "CLUB" for the steering wheel. It's gaudy but it's old school.
* Hose clamp or lock on the tailgate.
* Some states have voluntary programs where you can slap a sticker on the vehicle that allows police to pull you over if it's after midnight. Yeah, it's a bet sketchy but it's something.

Good Luck!

Old 03-27-2019, 01:40 PM
Toledo
Senior User
Toledo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My truck does not have the painted door handles, they're black. Working online with oempartsource.com, they came up with JC3Z-2522404-AA using my VIN number. I'll know in a week or so.

Thanks -

- steve
2522404 is NOT going to work. I know because that's the first one I bought and there was an obstruction since the handle is essentially flipped.. you need the driver rear handle with the part number above.. I will put it on tonight I can take a picture of both handles when I get home if youd like.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:48 PM
RIPbiker13
Senior User
RIPbiker13 has a very good reputation on FTE.RIPbiker13 has a very good reputation on FTE.RIPbiker13 has a very good reputation on FTE.
My first thought without reading was, Glock tends to be a great mind-changer. Really, if the bad guy wants in, they'll get in. A GPS tracker from Amazon or a hidden cell phone that can be tracked is an option. I'm an LEO and if it makes you feel better, at least around here, we tend to recover vehicles and firearms, because they're so easy to track.

My Jeep used to get broken into every few months and I started leaving the vehicle empty and unlocked. Here you go bad guys, just don't damage it while you're searching for stuff.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:08 PM
stevie 89
New User
stevie 89 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Toledo View Post
2522404 is NOT going to work. I know because that's the first one I bought and there was an obstruction since the handle is essentially flipped.. you need the driver rear handle with the part number above.. I will put it on tonight I can take a picture of both handles when I get home if youd like.
Well, crap. If you could post a picture, that'd be great. Thanks -

- steve

Old 03-27-2019, 02:35 PM
Toledo
Senior User
Well, crap. If you could post a picture, that'd be great. Thanks -

- steve
sure thing

Old 03-27-2019, 08:31 PM
Toledo
Senior User

Left side is the correct part you need (driver rear) Right side is the wrong part (front passenger)

Correct part needed with no obstruction

Wrong part.. notice the tab on the bottom of the door opening. It obstructs the entry

Old 03-27-2019, 08:36 PM
Toledo
Senior User

Once itís all said and done.. final product hopefully it deters the thieves

Old 03-27-2019, 08:45 PM
xxxsherpa
Posting Guru
xxxsherpa is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.xxxsherpa is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
How hard was the job Toledo?

Old 03-27-2019, 09:03 PM
Toledo
Senior User
Originally Posted by xxxsherpa View Post
How hard was the job Toledo?
on a scale of 1-5 id say a 2.. it only took me about 40 minutes give or take... the tricky part was taking off the plastic trim piece thats underneath the handle on the door panel to reveal the bolts..

tools needed
7mm socket, 10 mm socket, plastic trim removal set, needle nose pliers, and a few shop towels to clean up the grease that you'll get on your hands from the hinge thats on the back side of the door handle (hence my gloves)

Old 03-27-2019, 09:36 PM
xxxsherpa
Posting Guru
xxxsherpa is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.xxxsherpa is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks Toledo.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:48 PM
Toledo
Senior User
Originally Posted by xxxsherpa View Post
Thanks Toledo.
no problem, if you have any questions let me know

Old 03-27-2019, 09:51 PM
llmflyfisher
Senior User
llmflyfisher is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by RIPbiker13 View Post
My first thought without reading was, Glock tends to be a great mind-changer. Really, if the bad guy wants in, they'll get in. A GPS tracker from Amazon or a hidden cell phone that can be tracked is an option. I'm an LEO and if it makes you feel better, at least around here, we tend to recover vehicles and firearms, because they're so easy to track.

My Jeep used to get broken into every few months and I started leaving the vehicle empty and unlocked. Here you go bad guys, just don't damage it while you're searching for stuff.
Well that kinda makes sense IF using a Ravelco so the vehicle CANNOT GET STOLEN without a flat-bed tow vehicle to load it on because IT WILL NOT START PERIOD. Since most of those douche-bags don't have a flat-bed tow vehicle to work with, the vehicle will still be there post intrusion.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:40 AM
rewillia
Senior User
rewillia is starting off with a positive reputation.
1. Ravelco installed w/decals in windows
2. Jimmi Jammers with Driver Door Lock Cyl. eliminated & plugged.
3. Too many parked trucks, 99% chance they'll move onto another far less challenging while I continue to sleep at night
4. If not, Insurance Company has a 1-800 number and life goes on.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:02 AM
llmflyfisher
Senior User
llmflyfisher is starting off with a positive reputation.
Why do they even put a key lock cylinder in the drivers side door handle? I have looked and my truck did not come with a hard key for entry. Unless I just don't know where to look... I see no purpose for a key lock cylinder there with no key, so it just provides a real easy entry point for a thief to gain entry into the vehicle. With the Ravelco, the truck stays put (absent a flat bed truck to load it onto) but there is still the issue of theft of contents, and pure mean vandalism.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:29 AM
rewillia
Senior User
rewillia is starting off with a positive reputation.
Your mechanical key is located inside of the Intelligent Key Fob or at least it should be as I assume it is on most trucks (see example photo below).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.