Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

IDI lift pump replacement E350

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 01:50 AM
DarkOverCast
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by genscripter
I still don't understand the convoluted stock fuel delivery system. I constantly had air intrusion issues, bleeding the system was horrendous (especially in a van), and I was fighting the stock system for years.

Then I upgraded to the R&D dual filter setup on the rail, installed an e-pump on the rail, and have a hose that goes up to the IP. I put in a simple schrader valve at the high point, and put an extension hose to bleed air if necessary. The injector and IP return lines are stock. That's it. Super simple, never ever had an air intrusion issue ever again, and very easy to work on under the van. No more spilling diesel all over the block and intake. No more cranking and pulling the doghouse and a million things to get the injectors. No more diesel filter head blocking all the driver's side injectors from the front. No more metal lines blocking the top of the IP. It's just so much easier.
The main complaint I have are the plastic return caps, many similar style injectors had metal barbs built into them and all you needed was hose, others used a metal cap with a metal hard line and used copper crush washers. I would like to modify a set of injectors to have barbs, the hose outlasts the caps imo.

I'm not exactly a fan of the stock fuel lines with olives either, but I imagine the reason they're there is vibration, and it wouldn't be very fun to have to replace those lines every so often.

If I ever take the time, I'd like to modify the injectors like stated above, and do away with the fuel lines and olives and do a inverted flare setup with copper line, I think this would take a lot of the problems out of it.

I also plan to stay with the mechanical pump because one day I'd like to get back into wmo and the added viscosity isn't very e pump friendly. The mechanical pumps don't make a lot of pressure, but they make up for it in suction and lift length/height. Plus if it ever fails I can get one locally same day, which is a big deal to me as it's my dd and work rig.

To those who need added volume with a bigger injection pump you can buy beefed up mechanical pumps as well, iirc any big block pump will bolt up, you just have to change the arm

I also just run the stock filter setup for two reasons, first being as mines 6.9 there is no fuel heater to leak, and in my mind anything that makes it through my wix filter ought to make it through the pump and injectors because the tolerances aren't anywhere near what today's stuff is.

But I feel for you, those international/van fuel filter locations are a pita