Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Cleaning up a GP Harness & Price of QD Electronic Cleaner O`Rilly and Walmart

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 01:37 PM
Charmalu
Fleet Mechanic

Received 200 Likes on 170 Posts
Cleaning up a GP Harness & Price of QD Electronic Cleaner O`Rilly and Walmart

This is just a heads up on the price difference of CRC QD Electronic Cleaner 11oz no. 05103

I have had this ole truck 4.5 yrs, and finally getting around to getting the GP wiring to work.
Have all new MC GP`s ZD-1, but don`t know if the wiring is working. I do know 2 spade are rusted off and stuck
into the wiring connectors.

I have 3 GP wire harnesses I got from PNP for spares. I have one I have striped off the plastic protective covering
to see where all these wires go and how it is all connected together.
I read that the 2 large wires from the GP Relay to the big connector plug are Fuse Able wire. Also the plastic plug
can become melted from corrosion and resistance from the high current flow trying to get through.
The one thing I really want to know is, the wires to the GP Controller, where do they connect and do they run?
Can I just cut them out and eliminate the POS 6.9 Controller and hookup a manual push button.
Or just leave the controller unplugged and let the plug hang. Things Iam digging into.

On the engine side of the plug are 2 10ga wire going to each bank of plugs, ending about the 2 center plugs. Then
crimped to the end are 4 14ga Fuse Able wire going to ea plug. Now I see how Ford did it. I read there are Fused
wire to ea plug, and I thought it came from the main plug connector on the fender.

Any way, I pulled the plug apart on my sacrificial wire harness, and there is a considerable amount of corrosion
in the pin connectors. That white stuff that builds up.
Stopped at O`Rilly auto parts and asked the parts guy (older guy that worked for Honda in the Part`s Dept
for years) if they had some type brush or??? that I could get into the female end plug to clean out the corrosion.
He recommended CRC QD Electronic Cleaner. Price is $10.99 plus tax. Dang that is pricy.

Yesterday we were at Walmart and I wondered over to the Auto Dept and saw the CRC Cleaner on the shelf. $4.77
a can. (same part#) O`Rilly is getting their can back, can you believe twice the price? I knew they seemed high on
things, but they are the last place Iam going,... thinking of them.
Maybe this is their way to cover the life time warrantees on their junk parts,

OK Rant over...back to dissecting the harness.

Charlie

Old 03-09-2019, 02:50 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They were pretty proud of their brake cleaner last time i was in there too.

Old 03-09-2019, 03:07 AM
DarkOverCast
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought a refillable spray container at Napa a couple years ago for $30, I just buy whatever I need by the gallon and air the can up with my air compressor, it seems to be decent build quality..

It's more than paid for itself by now, I used to go through that brake cleaner by the case

Old 03-09-2019, 10:47 AM
Charmalu
Fleet Mechanic

Received 200 Likes on 170 Posts
I don`t use Brake Cleaner all that much, but do use the Carb Cleaner a lot. $1.97 a can at Wally World.
It`s just convenient., especially when I go in PNP and need to spray off some greasy part, unless it`s
an engine or some big part. Like Injectors, I blow them off, wipe off with a rag and put them in sandwich Bags.

I use Wax & Grease remover a lot. O`Rilly has the best price on it, $21.99. It is mainly for when doing body work
wipe the body down before sanding and painting, but is a good final cleaner on parts. .Not in the store, but is listed
on line, they can order it. I saw one site this was $46....crazy.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/prep-all-4074/paint---body-repair-16614/paint-prep-25200/paint---acetone---pre-paint-cleaners-19852/ec9e654dcaa4/klean-strip-prep-all-wax-and-grease-remover/sw3621/4402352

Charlie

Old 03-09-2019, 06:10 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Charmalu
I don`t use Brake Cleaner all that much, but do use the Carb Cleaner a lot. $1.97 a can at Wally World.
It`s just convenient., especially when I go in PNP and need to spray off some greasy part, unless it`s
an engine or some big part. Like Injectors, I blow them off, wipe off with a rag and put them in sandwich Bags.

I use Wax & Grease remover a lot. O`Rilly has the best price on it, $21.99. It is mainly for when doing body work
wipe the body down before sanding and painting, but is a good final cleaner on parts. .Not in the store, but is listed
on line, they can order it. I saw one site this was $46....crazy.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/prep-all-4074/paint---body-repair-16614/paint-prep-25200/paint---acetone---pre-paint-cleaners-19852/ec9e654dcaa4/klean-strip-prep-all-wax-and-grease-remover/sw3621/4402352

Charlie
I use brake cleaner all the time, used to be about a buck a can when bought by the case, but oreillys stopped giving a case discount. Really like supporting them because they carry motorcraft, but theyre getting expensive.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:11 PM
PlumCrazy7
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Generally (because there's always some dickweed parts guy up on his horse at every store that will complain), you can price match Wal-Mart on any same type fluid and most stuff on the walk-in side of the counter. Just pull the item up on your smart phone or print the screen from your computer showing the price.