Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Headlight harness

Old 02-06-2019, 05:19 PM
lavatan
Elder User
lavatan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.lavatan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Headlight harness

Hello all,

For a while now I've been driving my truck without any running lights. Brake, turn signal and headlights all worked fine but the side markers and running lights would not come on with the headlights. This wasn't a problem as I didn't drive the truck at night. However, when I got a new job that required me to leave at zero dark thirty I found that I have need of those. So I started trying to fix the problem. I got a new headlight switch which seemed to work fine until it didn't. I checked the fuses and they're fine. This last time I took the switch out the headlight connector was so corroded that it broke off. I am not able to get the female spade connector out of the harness to rewire it as I have nothing to grab on to. Would anyone happen to know where I might be able to purchase a new harness and what wires go where into said harness? I'm really tired of messing with this and would rather splice/insert new wires than repair the old one.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Old 02-06-2019, 05:52 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to all
What I think you are looking for is the head light switch pig tail, it is the plastic socket with short wires out of it to splice to your trucks harness.
To replace the "head light" harness is part of the trucks full harness that runs across the top of the dash out the firewall on each side and has a plug under the brake booster that connects the rear harness to the main harness.
I don't know where to get one but I would check the auto parts stores or Rock Auto for the pig tail.
Dave ----

Old 02-06-2019, 06:06 PM
lavatan
Elder User
lavatan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.lavatan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
OK. Thank you. Terminology is important. I have looked but all seem to be for 1989 or newer and just looking at the images presented won't fit my application. I'd like to buy a new one but if I have to I'll go to a pull your part place and get it that way.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:44 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to all
What year is your truck?
I know 0 dark thirty as I am out the house between 1am and 3am and not home till 5pm to 7pm if lucky.
Once we know the year I am sure someone will find one.
Also search for burnt power wire to head light switch as this is an issue too and a part source might be listed.
Dave - - - -

Old 02-07-2019, 09:55 PM
lavatan
Elder User
1985 is the year of my truck.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:01 AM
Kramercd
Senior User
Kramercd is starting off with a positive reputation.
You need the light switch connector? I have an '85 I'm using as a parts truck for my '82 and as far as I know I wont need any part of the harness. Buddy of mine got the motor and trans out of it to put in his '80 model work truck. He may need some of the harness from under the hood, won't know for a bit, his mechanic is still working on the swap. As far as I know he should be good. When I go out to smoke here in a minute I'll take a picture of the connector and see what shape it's in.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:25 AM
Kramercd
Senior User
Kramercd is starting off with a positive reputation.
One of these do the trick? Cant remember which is which, got the dash out of it.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:59 AM
lavatan
Elder User
The one in the first two pics looks like what I'm looking for. It looks like all the wiring is in great shape too. If you want to sell it PM me and we can work out the details.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.