1995 temperature sensor housing - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

1995 temperature sensor housing

Old 01-10-2019, 09:58 PM
Richard Robbins
New User
Richard Robbins is starting off with a positive reputation.
1995 temperature sensor housing

Wondering if anyone has repaired a temperature sensor housing?Had a leaking thermostat gasket and snapped a bolt.unplugged temp sensor and tried to pull off rubber hose so I could heat the broken bolt.Sure enough the nipple broke off.Not to mention I was working on it outside with a temp around 15 degrees.Not a productive day.It doesn't look easy to get out because of the steel pipe hooked to it.I waswondering if I could grind off the remaining nipple and thread in a new fitting?Thanks in advance

Last edited by Richard Robbins; 01-10-2019 at 10:02 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 01-10-2019, 10:30 PM
timbersteel
Postmaster
timbersteel has a good reputation on FTE.timbersteel has a good reputation on FTE.timbersteel has a good reputation on FTE.
A temporary fix with a rubber vacuum cap and hose clamp, IF there is enough metal to clamp it to.

I had same problem and just capped it.

I know that entire assembly is available through Dorman.

Also, that lower piece is a union and you can unboltit directly from the intake manifold. Though it will take some persuasion.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:39 AM
Richard Robbins
New User
thanks for the advice.I don't think there is enough left to cap it off.Also you said that is an union,do you just cut the metal line?I believe the broken one went to the throttle body,do u know what purpose it serves?

Old 01-11-2019, 12:43 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Posting Guru
My4Fordtrucks is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.My4Fordtrucks is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Richard Robbins View Post
Also you said that is an union,do you just cut the metal line?
Unscrew it if you can get it apart.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:10 PM
Richard Robbins
New User
Finished product

Well I answered my own question, you cannot braze a nipple in. I wrapped the sending unit with a wet rag because it was welded in and I couldnít take it out. As I was brazing I heard a pop. When I was done the union fell apart. Apparently there is some type of plastic clip that holds it together.Also the wet rag didnít help either.So.. this is what I settled for as I couldnít find the part online and it is only my plow truck and only use it in my yard. I welded the hose barb into the threaded fitting and put that back in the manifold.I happened to have a junk mountaineer in the yard and it had the perfect hose I needed to reconnect to the heater hose.I spliced in a copper tee and soldered in a fitting to feed the line to the throttle body. Seems to work fine except I no longer have the sensor but my temp gauge seems to be reading so I am not sure what that was for.Oh and the broken stud I finally got out after welding 5 nuts and snapping 4 off before the stud finally came out. Hopefully this might save someone half the grief I went through.But finally I won.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:19 PM
Richard Robbins
New User
Pics of the finished product

Last edited by Richard Robbins; 01-15-2019 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Add pics
Old 01-15-2019, 09:03 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Posting Guru
My4Fordtrucks is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.My4Fordtrucks is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The temp sensor with two wires is for the computer. My suggestion would be to buy/ procure a replacement for the “tree” that broke so you can reinstall the sensor. The sending unit that runs the gauge is completely separate and will not send any information to the PCM.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:19 PM
Richard Robbins
New User
Is it that important for a plow truck?The body is rough and if I get another year out of it I will be happy

Old 01-16-2019, 02:41 AM
Scndsin
Du Nawt Seek The Treasure
Scndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputation
That temp sensor is what the EFI uses to make a majority of it's calculations of how to supply fuel.

Many hair-pulling issues with trucks not running at all seem to get traced back to this sensor.

Missing it would pretty sure cause pig-rich washing down cylinders & much carbon fouling, especially in the cold.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:17 AM
Richard Robbins
New User
Thank you for explaining that for me, I will try to squeeze it in somehow

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.