6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

*help* 2012 starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 07:13 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Thinking out loud here, have either of you tried disconnecting the batteries for a short time when the the truck is in a no start state and then reconnecting and attempting to start?

I appears Up_There's truck will re-start about the same time all the modules go into sleep mode.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:11 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dirthawg
Thinking out loud here, have either of you tried disconnecting the batteries for a short time when the the truck is in a no start state and then reconnecting and attempting to start?

I appears Up_There's truck will re-start about the same time all the modules go into sleep mode.
I haven't tried that. It hasn't lasted long enough for me to have the opportunity yet. My truck did it again last week, but started after maybe 5 minutes. I hooked up Torque Pro, attempted to pull codes (had none) then it started right up. It didn't fit the normal "pattern" of 30-45 minutes. Thanks for the idea though! It's got to be something simple, all the major things have been checked....

Old 01-11-2019, 08:17 AM
Kyle1980
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have and it didn't seem to change anything. I agree, that I feel like there has to be something simple. It seems like the ignition is not communicating with the rest of the truck in some way or another. But that is just me and I am by no means a mechanic.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:19 AM
Kyle1980
New User
Travis has your truck been deleted?

Old 01-11-2019, 02:29 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Kyle1980
Travis has your truck been deleted?
Yes it has. I don't think it is tune related though, I had at least 8 months trouble free running it deleted.

Whatever the issue is, it is interrupting the signal, between the key in the ignition, and the starter. Everything works except no crank on mine when it's happening........I'll be driving it some this weekend, so we'll see how it does haha.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:11 PM
Kyle1980
New User
Travis, I think yours will be like mine. They had to go in and basically reset back to factory, and re-tune it. They have mine completely fixed. Not sure what caused it, but a friend of mine, told me to try it and see what happens and that solved all problems. Hopefully that helps yours as well.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:58 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Travis, I think yours will be like mine. They had to go in and basically reset back to factory, and re-tune it. They have mine completely fixed. Not sure what caused it, but a friend of mine, told me to try it and see what happens and that solved all problems. Hopefully that helps yours as well.
What did they reset? I'm not following what you're saying exactly.
If it's just the TUNE, how did they reset to factory, if you're deleted?

Old 01-16-2019, 09:18 AM
Kyle1980
New User
I haven't gotten a chance to pick it up yet, so I will find out exactly what was done. But they took it to the dealership and hooked it to their computer. He said something about altering the starting parameters in the truck's PCM. I do not even know what that means really. He tried to simplify it down for me the best he could over the phone. But he said basically the dealership is the only way they can modify the PCM and reset back to factory or take the tune off. Since it had been deleted, they can't start it like that from my understanding. So the other mechanic that put the delete on had to put the tune back on and then the truck started and ran perfectly. He said he wanted to keep it for a week to make sure, but he told me Monday that it hasn't messed up one time in 3 days, and it was acting up EVERY time I tried to start it. I am going to get it Saturday. I'll let you know what they say.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:28 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Hope it fixes your issue, Kyle! I will remove, then re-load my tunes and see if that helps mine.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:49 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Well that didn't cure my issue. Yesterday, I returned to stock, then re-loaded tunes. I'm currently sitting in my truck.......that won't crank/start.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:10 PM
Kyle1980
New User
Dang! I'll call the dealership and find out exactly what all he adjusted on the PCM this afternoon.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:52 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Dang! I'll call the dealership and find out exactly what all he adjusted on the PCM this afternoon.
That would be great to know what exactly they reset. My truck started after about an hour this time. This crap drives me crazy, it has GOT to be something simple.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:52 PM
Kyle1980
New User
Have you heard anything on your pickup?

Old 01-26-2019, 09:31 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Have you heard anything on your pickup?
I picked it up last night. They did a full re-flash of the PCM. It was already the most current flash, so they had to load all of the original as-built data, then re-flash it.
I'll know soon, if it worked! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Is your problem gone completely now?

Old 01-26-2019, 09:45 AM
Glenn Coats
New User
Originally Posted by UP_There
I have a 2011 F350 and also have a starting issue. I don't believe mine to be temperature related, but I can't really say for sure. My truck seems to fix itself magically. I have had it do the NO start about 4 times now, and have had it at the shop 3 times. They cannot get it to do it while they have it. It is very frustrating!
They have verified batteries are good, starter good, alternator good, ALL connections are snug. It is an electrical gremlin so to speak. If it does it again (and it will) I plan on towing it to them while it won't start, and go from there. The problem with that is......it will start after sitting for awhile. Mine has power with the key on, but no crank when it happens.
me too letme know if you find it

Quick Reply: *help* 2012 starting issue