Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   *help* 2012 starting issue (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1565132-help-2012-starting-issue.html)

Kyle1980 12-09-2018 08:46 PM

*help* 2012 starting issue

I have a 2012 F-250. It will not attempt to start if the glow plug indicator light does not appear. This is really only an issue when the temp falls below about 40 degrees. If it is above 40 the light will come on every time. If it’s below 40 it takes several times of turning the key to accessory and then off again. I have replaced the glow plug module. Does anyone have any clue what could be going on? Thank you in advance!

Army RET 12-09-2018 09:42 PM

I'm neither a mechanic (nor knowledgeable about the internal combustion engine) but I believe ... it takes battery power to heat up those glow plugs; what if they're getting weak?

Kyle1980 12-09-2018 09:57 PM

I replaced the at the end of July.

Army RET 12-09-2018 10:33 PM

As I explained earlier, I'm not technologically advanced - so I'm not familiar with your "at" reference - to me that means automatic transmission.

HRTKD 12-09-2018 11:42 PM

I would put a voltmeter on the batteries and see what they measure before the ignition is turned on and then when the ignition is turned on.

As a test, you could put a battery charger on the battery when the temperature is below 40° F. If the engine fires right up then the batteries are suspect.

Kyle1980 12-10-2018 06:08 AM

Sorry, the “at” was a typo. It was supposed to say “replaced them at the end of July”. Meaning my batteries. And thank you guys for the recommendation. I’ll check that this afternoon.

Army RET 12-10-2018 08:24 AM

While you're checking the batteries double-check that their connections are clean and tight.

Kyle1980 12-10-2018 10:46 AM

Okay. Thank you. It is the weirdest thing. I have take it to a couple of mechanics to have them look at it, and neither can figure it out.

UP_There 12-10-2018 11:13 AM

I have a 2011 F350 and also have a starting issue. I don't believe mine to be temperature related, but I can't really say for sure. My truck seems to fix itself magically. I have had it do the NO start about 4 times now, and have had it at the shop 3 times. They cannot get it to do it while they have it. It is very frustrating!
They have verified batteries are good, starter good, alternator good, ALL connections are snug. It is an electrical gremlin so to speak. If it does it again (and it will) I plan on towing it to them while it won't start, and go from there. The problem with that is......it will start after sitting for awhile. Mine has power with the key on, but no crank when it happens.

HRTKD 12-10-2018 11:22 AM

Maybe a bad relay?

UP_There 12-10-2018 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by HRTKD (Post 18352710)
Maybe a bad relay?

I swapped out my relay, and it didn't help. But perhaps it might for the original poster?

Kyle1980 12-10-2018 12:17 PM

I will check the relay as well, but pretty sure that was what the first mechanic thought as well and checked it first. Mine will power up with the key on just will not crank as well. Super frustrating. But I will change out relay again and see if that does anything.

UP_There 12-10-2018 12:58 PM

Kyle, does your truck seem to fix itself, and end up starting if you try it long enough? Mine will do that, and there doesn't seem to be a pattern to it. It has gotten to where I can't trust my truck, I never know when it's going to NOT start!

The one thing, that the mechanic did fix, was a wire was really corroded that comes off the starter, as sort of a "test wire" for diagnostic purposes only. It doesn't affect the power for cranking. When the truck started, we thought it was fixed, but a few days later, I had the NO-start issue again, and back it went to the mechanic for a week. They were never able to get it to NOT start, so I brought the truck home!

Kyle1980 12-10-2018 02:23 PM

Pretty much mine is the exact same issue. I have at least narrowed it down to, and sorry for my lack of better explaining it, but if the glow plug indicator light doesn't come on, then the truck will not start. As soon as the light comes on, it will start. I can normally just turn the key one turn to make the glow plugs come on, and if the light doesn't come on turn the key back off and try again. Sometimes it takes 10-15 tries, but as long as the temp is above about 40 degrees, it will eventually start. I haven't tried looking for a corroded wire, but that was going to be my next step after replacing the relay.

UP_There 12-10-2018 03:49 PM

Kyle, my truck isn't throwing any codes at all when it happens. I haven't paid attention to the glow plug indicator on my dash, but I do know it's not temperature related, my issue started in September when it was still very warm. I think between the two of us, we can figure out our problem, and share with the other guy haha.