About to pull the trigger on fitech system! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

About to pull the trigger on fitech system!

Old 12-05-2018, 05:41 AM
6ohman2004
Senior User
6ohman2004 is starting off with a positive reputation.
About to pull the trigger on fitech system!

Hello all! I have a 79 f150 400 4x4 that I use off road a lot and and the edlebrock doesn't cut it. Im about to purchase a fitech go efi 4 600hp system 30002. I've been reading many threads on this, gathering info and it looks promising! Im curious about a few things id appreciate opinions on.

1. Fuel pump setup. My tank is the lmc 38g unit, I'm looking at the 40019 hy-fuel in tank unit to make hooking up the return line easier, would this work? I'm wondering does or can this unit run off an oil pressure switch to keep from pumping fuel in without the engine running? Is this even a concern like on a carb with electric pump? (what I have now)

2. How does this unit affect the fuel gauge? Mine isn't working right now anyways.

3. What distributor setup is recommended? Mine is stock currently and I want to take advantage of timing control.

4. On the supply line Should I use an fittings and braided line(I've never used it before) from the pump to engine and where should the fuel filter be located?

5. Can I use the stock supply line as a return line?

6. any other tips or tricks for An easy installation?

Old 12-05-2018, 05:56 AM
6ohman2004
Senior User

Old 12-05-2018, 08:41 AM
jackietreehorn
Senior User
jackietreehorn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If you can find a HEI distributor for the 400 with a 7 or 8 pin module I believe that will allow for computer-controlled timing, but thats not very fun....Now what would be really cool, is if you could get the FI-tech ECU to play with a Ford EEC-III Duraspark module (brown grommet).

That would allow you to use your original distributor and ignition harness. You could also use a "square" Ford TFI coil" and run it off full 12 volts. A true HEI computer controlled EFI system using mostly Ford parts! Slap on the original air cleaner and you got a sleeper!

Old 12-05-2018, 08:51 AM
77&79F250
Used OEM parts guy
77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.
And idea or 2. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...n-77-f150.html

Or 2. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...injection.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ty-switch.html

Electric Fuel Pump: How to Do It Right

Alot of people say the customer service for Fitech is not the greatest AT ALL and something about Fitech on Facebook is the bet way to get community help with issues. Please document your conversion process, so we can learn what to and not to do.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:29 AM
LARIAT 85
Postmaster
LARIAT 85 is a splendid one to beholdLARIAT 85 is a splendid one to beholdLARIAT 85 is a splendid one to beholdLARIAT 85 is a splendid one to beholdLARIAT 85 is a splendid one to beholdLARIAT 85 is a splendid one to beholdLARIAT 85 is a splendid one to behold
What do you mean by "the Edlebrock doesn't cut it?"

I hope you plan on keeping your truck, and do all of your own engine work.

NO ONE is going to want to work a vehicle that has an aftermarket EFI system on it. Not many people would want to buy one, either.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:40 AM
Rollingscrapmetal
Senior User
Rollingscrapmetal is starting off with a positive reputation.
I believe fuel injection will make the truck more desirable

Old 12-05-2018, 09:53 AM
rougeriver
Posting Guru
rougeriver is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.rougeriver is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Before you go buy the FiTech set-up, give the Holley Sniper system a look. I installed it on my 460 and have really enjoyed it. It is priced very competitively.

I purchased it through this site: https://www.efisystempro.com

Chris Myer is the owner of EFISystemPro.com, and when you purchase through him, he gives you his personal number for any troubleshooting during installation, available day or night -anytime literally- he makes suggestions and recommendations for your particular vehicle. He helped me so much when I was installing mine.

Some of the advantages of the Holley Sniper is in the wiring harness. It really is plug and play, so simple.

I ran a Tanks Inc in-tank pump in my 38-gal tank, efi-rated hose from tank to engine, return routed back the same to pump. Continuous hose, very neat and clean. Zip-tied all along the way.

Chris will put together a package of every fitting and clamp you will need and talk you through it all.

David

Old 12-05-2018, 09:57 AM
workbox72
Senior User
workbox72 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well, first off, i've had first hand experience with a fitech system on a 400 and am personally not a huge fan over a carb... However, if you definitely want to do it, then it's a pretty straight forward swap. For an ignition system, a HEI is the way to go for something like that. As far as fuel return lines and such, i couldn't tell you because ours was on a truck with an in cab tank. We just have an inline fuel pump going to the unit plumbed with high pressure plastic lines. All i know is that it was a pain to plumb up on ours..... Before you ask why i'm not pleased with ours, it's because for one, i'm old fashion and prefer a carb on an old truck, for two, i cant get the custom tune to stay programmed for the life of me, and for three, it stumbles like crazy from idle. This is just MY personal opinion and experience, and it is most likely my EFI prejudice and also me not knowing how to program it that have given me the results that I've gotten from it..... Best of luck to you! if you'd like, i can go snap some pictures of ours although i'm not sure how much help it would be seeing as ours is an in cab gas tank and all.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:10 AM
6ohman2004
Senior User
Originally Posted by jackietreehorn View Post
If you can find a HEI distributor for the 400 with a 7 or 8 pin module I believe that will allow for computer-controlled timing, but thats not very fun....Now what would be really cool, is if you could get the FI-tech ECU to play with a Ford EEC-III Duraspark module (brown grommet).

That would allow you to use your original distributor and ignition harness. You could also use a "square" Ford TFI coil" and run it off full 12 volts. A true HEI computer controlled EFI system using mostly Ford parts! Slap on the original air cleaner and you got a sleeper!
I will look into the hei units, are the any in particular favoured for the 400 right now?

Old 12-05-2018, 10:12 AM
6ohman2004
Senior User
Originally Posted by 77&79F250 View Post
And idea or 2. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...n-77-f150.html

Or 2. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...injection.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ty-switch.html

Electric Fuel Pump: How to Do It Right

Alot of people say the customer service for Fitech is not the greatest AT ALL and something about Fitech on Facebook is the bet way to get community help with issues. Please document your conversion process, so we can learn what to and not to do.
thank you for the links, I actually have seen the first thread. Will check out the group on fb as well to get More info!

Old 12-05-2018, 10:19 AM
6ohman2004
Senior User
Originally Posted by LARIAT 85 View Post
What do you mean by "the Edlebrock doesn't cut it?"

I hope you plan on keeping your truck, and do all of your own engine work.

NO ONE is going to want to work a vehicle that has an aftermarket EFI system on it. Not many people would want to buy one, either.
I mean that the 1826 off road oriented carb leaves a lot to be desired while out wheeling. This is with the carb setup as edlebrock reps have suggested. It runs well on the street. Cold starts aren't all that great but it does start every time. And elevation changes 4k to 11k are a struggle as well.
As far as keeping the truck, I am. It was my grand fathers and my father's. I've had it for 12 years. And rebuilt the engine along with a ton of other things on the truck like doubled t cases.. To me the mod would make the truck more reliable and useable.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:22 AM
6ohman2004
Senior User
Originally Posted by rougeriver View Post
Before you go buy the FiTech set-up, give the Holley Sniper system a look. I installed it on my 460 and have really enjoyed it. It is priced very competitively.

I purchased it through this site: https://www.efisystempro.com

Chris Myer is the owner of EFISystemPro.com, and when you purchase through him, he gives you his personal number for any troubleshooting during installation, available day or night -anytime literally- he makes suggestions and recommendations for your particular vehicle. He helped me so much when I was installing mine.

Some of the advantages of the Holley Sniper is in the wiring harness. It really is plug and play, so simple.

I ran a Tanks Inc in-tank pump in my 38-gal tank, efi-rated hose from tank to engine, return routed back the same to pump. Continuous hose, very neat and clean. Zip-tied all along the way.

Chris will put together a package of every fitting and clamp you will need and talk you through it all.

David
thank you for this, I will definitely check out the site and see what they offer because I know I will need some help along the way! Good Customer service goes a long way..

Old 12-05-2018, 10:26 AM
6ohman2004
Senior User
Originally Posted by workbox72 View Post
Well, first off, i've had first hand experience with a fitech system on a 400 and am personally not a huge fan over a carb... However, if you definitely want to do it, then it's a pretty straight forward swap. For an ignition system, a HEI is the way to go for something like that. As far as fuel return lines and such, i couldn't tell you because ours was on a truck with an in cab tank. We just have an inline fuel pump going to the unit plumbed with high pressure plastic lines. All i know is that it was a pain to plumb up on ours..... Before you ask why i'm not pleased with ours, it's because for one, i'm old fashion and prefer a carb on an old truck, for two, i cant get the custom tune to stay programmed for the life of me, and for three, it stumbles like crazy from idle. This is just MY personal opinion and experience, and it is most likely my EFI prejudice and also me not knowing how to program it that have given me the results that I've gotten from it..... Best of luck to you! if you'd like, i can go snap some pictures of ours although i'm not sure how much help it would be seeing as ours is an in cab gas tank and all.
thanks for the fair review, I do understand there can and will be tuning needed but these days that's easier to find and figure out than a good carb builder haha.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:37 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Believe it or not the 2100/2150 Motorcraft carbs (that's what your truck likely shipped with) is probably the best extreme offroad carburetor ever built and in fact are much sought after by the Jeep crowd and others, for installation and modification for this purpose. Not EFI though dang close. These guys get sideways and vertical. I'm guessing you're not, with that kind of wheelbase & weight. There's a few simple tricks and mods to perform to improve their operation even further. Unless you're set on EFI it would probably save a lot of hassle and $$. Just another perspective.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:39 AM
LARIAT 85
Postmaster
LARIAT 85 is a splendid one to beholdLARIAT 85 is a splendid one to beholdLARIAT 85 is a splendid one to beholdLARIAT 85 is a splendid one to beholdLARIAT 85 is a splendid one to beholdLARIAT 85 is a splendid one to beholdLARIAT 85 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 6ohman2004 View Post
I mean that the 1826 off road oriented carb leaves a lot to be desired while out wheeling. This is with the carb setup as edlebrock reps have suggested. It runs well on the street. Cold starts aren't all that great but it does start every time. And elevation changes 4k to 11k are a struggle as well.
As far as keeping the truck, I am. It was my grand fathers and my father's. I've had it for 12 years. And rebuilt the engine along with a ton of other things on the truck like doubled t cases.. To me the mod would make the truck more reliable and useable.
So you think an aftermarket EFI system will make your truck "more reliable and usable?"

Forgive me for asking, but how so?

Go and check out the first page of any of the forums on this website from 1987 and up on any given day and look at all of the posts pertaining to electrical/EFI problems.

As long as it is set up and tuned correctly - and ALL of the parts are present and functioning - the truth is there is very little difference between a carbureted system and an EFI system.

Originally Posted by Tedster9
Believe it or not the 2100/2150 Motorcraft carbs (that's what your truck likely shipped with) is probably the best extreme offroad carburetor ever built and in fact are much sought after by the Jeep crowd and others, for installation and modification for this purpose. Not EFI though dang close. These guys get sideways and vertical. I'm guessing you're not, with that kind of wheelbase & weight. There's a few simple tricks and mods to perform to improve their operation even further. Unless you're set on EFI it would probably save a lot of hassle and $$. Just another perspective.
I agree. The older Jeep crowd LOVES the Ford Autolite 2100/Motorcraft 2150 carburetor, and for good reasons. On the street, it comes as close as any carburetor can get to EFI, and it also works well at extreme angles. Add to that list the 4-barrel Autolite 4100. I hear great things about the Summit Racing carburetor as well, which is a re-worked Holley 4010, which was a re-worked Autolite 4100.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.