1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Zero ICP - no start

Old 11-20-2018, 03:22 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Andy, why do you show two ICP parameters. It looks like the one in blue is some other parameter such as injector PW on the injectors. The one in pink is the actual ICP while cranking? I'm going out on a limb and say yes the IPR% and ICP pressure climbs very rapid during cranking, a good thing.

Codes 1668 and 1670 are a bad EF (electronic feedback) wire from the PCM to the IDM. It's a single wire from the PCM to the IDM that they communicate on. When the PCM sends commands to the IDM to fire the injectors the IDM send a mirror image of the command back to the PCM for verification. If this line goes down the truck will run OK but throw the codes. This line is also used to communicate buzz test results from the IDM back to the PCM. What I don't know is if this wire goes down if the buzz test just fails to occur. It's a first for me. Might want to reset both IDM and PCM connections. If you have a wiring diagram you can check the wire from the PCM to the IDM with an ohm meter. If not let me know and I'll dig it up for you.

I have not read all the posts, just observations from your last scanner post #58 though.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:32 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Hussler
Andy, why do you show two ICP parameters. It looks like the one in blue is some other parameter such as injector PW on the injectors. The one in pink is the actual ICP while cranking? I'm going out on a limb and say yes the IPR% and ICP pressure climbs very rapid during cranking, a good thing.
I do not know why there are two sensors in Forscan for ICP. There isn't any explanation what the difference is between the two, so I stuck them both on the graph. It is weird how that first one is plotted but I don't know what it means.

I understand that IPR% and ICP climbing during cranking is good. My issue is that the pressure seems artificially high.

Codes 1668 and 1670 are a bad EF (electronic feedback) wire from the PCM to the IDM. It's a single wire from the PCM to the IDM that they communicate on. When the PCM sends commands to the IDM to fire the injectors the IDM send a mirror image of the command back to the PCM for verification. If this line goes down the truck will run OK but throw the codes. This line is also used to communicate buzz test results from the IDM back to the PCM. What I don't know is if this wire goes down if the buzz test just fails to occur. It's a first for me. Might want to reset both IDM and PCM connections. If you have a wiring diagram you can check the wire from the PCM to the IDM with an ohm meter. If not let me know and I'll dig it up for you.

I have not read all the posts, just observations from your last scanner post #58 though.
To be honest, the SES light was on for a while before any of this started but I was struggling to be able to read codes from it. I have a bluetooth and a wifi adapter and I couldn't get either one of them to work reliably. Now I use a corded USB adapter and I'm able to consistently read codes. So for all I know, that code has been in there for a while and has nothing to do with the truck not starting.

I am running out of ideas with this one guys.

I have a CPS sensor that I plan on replacing later today once it warms up. After that I'm all out of ideas.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:08 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by andym
I understand that IPR% and ICP climbing during cranking is good. My issue is that the pressure seems artificially high.
I don't mean to be negative, but I think you really need to pay more attention to the parameters you select on your scanner. Watching ICP in KPA doesn't help much if you look at the conversion between KPA and PSI. The same goes for your ICP psi that you think it too high. You're measuring in milliseconds. Tell me how many hundredths of a second your pressure was that high?

Trying to start, things max out until it starts, then fall back to normal range. If your graph was in seconds or minutes, you likely wouldn't even notice the spike other than maybe as a blip.

Old 11-22-2018, 10:10 PM
Stebs
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What’s your battery voltage? Pcm won’t even try to fire the injectors if the voltage is too low...

Old 11-23-2018, 11:55 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by F350-6
I don't mean to be negative, but I think you really need to pay more attention to the parameters you select on your scanner. Watching ICP in KPA doesn't help much if you look at the conversion between KPA and PSI. The same goes for your ICP psi that you think it too high. You're measuring in milliseconds. Tell me how many hundredths of a second your pressure was that high?

Trying to start, things max out until it starts, then fall back to normal range. If your graph was in seconds or minutes, you likely wouldn't even notice the spike other than maybe as a blip.
See post #58 where I posted another graph after I figured out how to get it to display in psi instead of kpa.

I see that the graph says the x-axis is in ms but that's a bug in the software. It should say seconds. When the program is graphing the data, the lines are plotting horizontally across the screen as I'm watching and it is most definitely in seconds. I assure that those graphs do not represent 11 milliseconds worth of data.

Originally Posted by Stebs
What’s your battery voltage? Pcm won’t even try to fire the injectors if the voltage is too low...
I have a cigarette lighter voltmeter and it's been said that the actual battery voltage can be different at the lighter so take these readings for what they're worth. I leave the batteries on a charger in between working sessions on the truck, so they always start fresh. The voltage is about 12.6, drops to about 11.7 when the glow plugs are activated, and 8.5 to 9 during cranking.

What is the minimum voltage required?

Old 11-23-2018, 11:59 AM
andym
Post Fiend
I replaced the CPS sensor today and added FIPW to the chart. The EBP looks different than last time and all I did was change it to display in psi instead of kpa. I also removed the spiky ICP graph.

What else could be causing my truck to not start? I'm about out of ideas here...

Old 11-23-2018, 01:38 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,839 Posts

I have a cigarette lighter voltmeter and it's been said that the actual battery voltage can be different at the lighter so take these readings for what they're worth. I leave the batteries on a charger in between working sessions on the truck, so they always start fresh. The voltage is about 12.6, drops to about 11.7 when the glow plugs are activated, and 8.5 to 9 during cranking.

What is the minimum voltage required?
I believe the minimum voltage required to start the engine is 10.5 volts, but not 100% sure on that.

Related to the post with the graph on it, are you sure you are getting fuel pressure? I cannot remember if you installed a gauge when you did all of your upgrades.

Old 11-23-2018, 02:35 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I'm stuck on you not being able to run a buzz test and would target that problem. I'd look at the electrical connections between the PCM and IDM on up through your injectors. First and cheapest thing to do is disconnect all of your connectors, one by one and insure that they are clean and tight and making contact. Is there any way for Andy to test his IDM without removing it and replacing it with a known good one?

Old 11-23-2018, 03:04 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,839 Posts
I don't think the IDM is accessible for testing unless you have a high dollar test equipment. Is a buzz test dependent on other parts like the Cylinder Contribution Test is dependent on the Air Intake Heater being hooked up and serviceable (or resistor in place) right? I guess what I am asking is the only thing capable of stopping the buzz test from working the wire/physical/electrical connection between the PCM and IDM?

Old 11-23-2018, 04:02 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
My E99 has no intake heater so I don't know about that one,

Old 11-24-2018, 02:06 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Andy, I didn't read anything after the post saying you socket doesn't fit, and I'm sure you solved the problem, but just info sake, in a pinch, a faucet stem socket will work.

I couldn't find my big socket for IPR removal one time years ago so I grabbed my stem sockets and used one that fit.

Stewart

Old 11-24-2018, 03:01 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I replaced the CPS sensor today and added FIPW to the chart. The EBP looks different than last time and all I did was change it to display in psi instead of kpa. I also removed the spiky ICP graph.

What else could be causing my truck to not start? I'm about out of ideas here...

Andy, could you take out the yellow EBP parameter as it's confusing and really doesn't help in troubleshooting. Also sometimes in graphs the x-axis will default to the smaller value such as scanner rate showing the EBP values in ms instead of seconds. Also not sure what the DES rev\min is so please remove that since it does nothing.

RPM, IPR%, ICP and PW are the important ones.

All this looks good as values but the time frame on the bottom doesn't make a lot of sense. If the time frame is really in ms then it does. If really in seconds then IPR% started to ramp up HPO about 1.5 seconds when cranking, normal. The problem I see if it took the ICP about 5 seconds to respond, way to long. When cranking the graph indicated about 11 seconds, assuming the time frame is in seconds. How long do you crank when obtaining data?

Old 11-25-2018, 07:19 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Andy, if your stuck and at a stand still I have a 110V IDM I could sent you to try if it would work in your truck.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:58 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Andy, I didn't read anything after the post saying you socket doesn't fit, and I'm sure you solved the problem, but just info sake, in a pinch, a faucet stem socket will work.

I couldn't find my big socket for IPR removal one time years ago so I grabbed my stem sockets and used one that fit.
I saw those in the hardware store when I was trying to find a socket that would work. If they had one in the correct size I would have bought it. It's not something I have in my toolbox though.

All this looks good as values but the time frame on the bottom doesn't make a lot of sense. If the time frame is really in ms then it does. If really in seconds then IPR% started to ramp up HPO about 1.5 seconds when cranking, normal. The problem I see if it took the ICP about 5 seconds to respond, way to long. When cranking the graph indicated about 11 seconds, assuming the time frame is in seconds. How long do you crank when obtaining data?
As I said in an earlier post, there is a bug in the software that says 'ms' in the lower left corner when it should say 's'. The x-axis numbers you see on the graph are in seconds. I was also thinking that the ICP was taking far too long to come up. Remember that I'm watching this graph plot in real-time as I'm cranking it. It didn't begin to show any ICP until it had been cranking for about 2 seconds. I get what you are saying in that it's taking too long to rise but after a few seconds it should have plenty of ICP to start the engine. The only conclusion I can draw is that something else is preventing the engine from starting so I really need to focus on that.

Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Andy, if your stuck and at a stand still I have a 110V IDM I could sent you to try if it would work in your truck.
If you have a known working IDM that you are willing to let me borrow and test with, I think I'll take you up on that offer as I'm rapidly running out of ideas.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:19 AM
andym
Post Fiend
The weather has been so crappy here the last couple months, and since I have no place to work on it other than outside laying in the driveway, I finally caved and had it towed to a reputable diesel shop in Lugoff, SC.

Turns out it was the IDM, and Mark graciously offered to sell me his spare IDM so I should get my truck back in working condition today.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Zero ICP - no start