1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

1972 F100 302/C4 Carb Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 07:49 PM
ovalhead72
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1972 F100 302/C4 Carb Issues?

Ok, I've posted a few threads about my 72 f100 302.
Running bad- today I replaced coil, plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Pertronix points eliminator on the way by tuesday.
But, although it's running stll bad missing. Exhaust has that varnish acidic smell so even after adding 10gal of 89 still bad smell.
Tomorrow gonna take apart the 2100 2bbl and clean the jets etc, drain the fuel tank too.
Looking for info about disassembly of carb.
More info- cant find any fricken fuel filter which is bad, what idiot doesn't use a fuel filter?! No filter in carb or line.
Also, vac advance on dist has 2 vac connections but only 1 to the carb is connected other one is open but cant feel any pull on it?!
Other issue is if I put it in gear engine dies quickly...accelerator pump or Vac leak?
Tomorrow I will also plug all vac on carb/intake and see what is leaking.
It has a exhaust leak on drivers side too please listen to video- cracked manifold? Headers in the mail.
To summarize-
1 Replaced all ignition except points/condenser
2 Bad gas and ethanol gum in jets?
3 Vac advance port no hose nothing to hook it to?
4 When put in gear engine dies if idling
Thanks for any help!

Old 09-01-2018, 08:45 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 67 Likes on 66 Posts
What you really want to do in broad terms is take your time and be meticulous in your tests and diagnostics. Get yourself a copy reprint of the Ford Shop manual. About 60 bucks, worth every penny. Maybe a good old school Motors Repair manual from about 1960 say.

Start from the beginning and check everything. A lot of "golden screwdrivers" have likely been applied to your truck over the years. About half of your tasks will often be simply making right what somebody else ****ed up, or neglected. Another wise thing to do is verify true TDC on the balancer with a piston stop. This "0" point is the basis for everything that follows in terms of ignition timing and valve timing. What you're trying to do generally is get a good accurate baseline for everything, and eliminate or isolate real problems or defects versus just guessing.

Check for stupid stuff too, you'd be amazed how often spark plug wires are mixed up, happens more often than you'd think. It doesn't cost anything to check stuff other than your time.

First test in any manual on pg. 1 is always the Cylinder Compression Test. This checks out the internal condition of piston compression rings and valve action etc etc. It's the very first test in the books because, it's not worth spending time or money on a tune-up if the engine is completely wore out or has major defects. If it passes the compression check OK then the engine is a good candidate for a tune-up and some upgrade goodies.

If the engine checks out OK compression wise I would start with the electrical system and ignition first, to include fresh battery cables, ground cables, and connections, of adequate gauge size. No drugstore battery cables, get good ones. Good fresh high ampere battery, and check out the charging system thorougly, make sure it's at 100%; oftentimes ignition system faults are mistaken as carburetor problems.

A carb will definitely benefit from cleaning but they pretty much will work OK so long as nobody has buggered it. Get in the manual and study it, when you get everything else squared away the carb is ready for fine or at least final tuning. Take each major system one at a time, study the manual and focus on it. The fuel system starts all the way back with the tank, old skudge and varnish will cause nothing but trouble. Make sure the fuel pump has the right output, not too high, not too low. Fuel lines not clogged. If you do this stuff I guarantee it will come around and eventually you'll think it's a new engine. Plus, you'll thank yourself everytime you drive it, and you'll gain the satisfaction of having done it yourself.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:21 PM
mrpotatohead
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So you didn't take the advice of myself and others by not running a compression test? That's disappointing that you would disregard that and yet still ask for further advice?
Good luck to you.

Old 09-03-2018, 06:11 AM
ovalhead72
Junior User
Cant do compression test till I get paid so tomorrow I'll have the Pertronix ignitor and will go from there. If it is a compression issue it certainly isnt one that involves bad rings etc as the motor shows no smoke either after idling awhile or driving. The previous owner had Autolite #124 plugs which may be wrong so I installed correct Motorcraft plugs which are about 3/16" longer.
Seems previous owner also bent the choke tang so much it can't be adjusted for cold running and is set all the way to warm but plate is only open about a 1/16" at startup on 90degree day?
The tranny kicks very hard through 1st and 2nd, goes into high gear way too soon and kickdown is adjusted wrong also as it kicks down way too early.
Still no idea what 2nd vac connection on dist is for so I plugged it?
It runs and drives but idle is high but idle while in gear is low enough to stall engine?
If no compression issues I plan to get a Holley 600cfm carb instead of playing with worn out factory 2100.
I also gotta get headers to replace manifolds which drivers side is cracked and leaking.
What compression issues would not involve smoke?
Thanks

Old 09-03-2018, 07:24 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
I don't think anybody is here to argue with you, there are accepted maintenance practices that go back 100 years. They hashed all this stuff out a long time ago. Pg. 1, Para 1 in practically every repair manual ever published is Compression Test. You want to get a baseline for your "new" engine. When you start getting things squared away you will see compression figures improve.

There are other ways of doing the same thing. A vacuum gauge is one of them. While it doesn't replace a compression test, engine compression can be directly inferred through manifold vacuum testing. The idea here is to go about your troubleshooting in a methodical, straightforward way. None of us are there working with you, all we can go by is what you report. Try grounding out plug wires one at a time at idle and see if the RPM drops or not as suggested.

Old 09-03-2018, 07:53 AM
ovalhead72
Junior User
I'm doing that now gonna unplug each wire and see...in video below there is some puffs of whitish smoke when on the throttle other than that just condensation so as soon as I get paid ill do a compression test. Harbor freight probably has a cheap one but leary of HF stuff lol.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:21 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Look on that auction site. Good used Snap-On combo sets - timing light, vacuum gauge, compression gauge. Maybe 50 bucks. All kinds of stuff there for decent prices. I found a new compression gauge for under $20, quality not too bad. Good enough.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:31 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by ovalhead72
Cant do compression test till I get paid so tomorrow I'll have the Pertronix ignitor and will go from there. If it is a compression issue it certainly isnt one that involves bad rings etc as the motor shows no smoke either after idling awhile or driving. The previous owner had Autolite #124 plugs which may be wrong so I installed correct Motorcraft plugs which are about 3/16" longer.
Seems previous owner also bent the choke tang so much it can't be adjusted for cold running and is set all the way to warm but plate is only open about a 1/16" at startup on 90degree day?
The tranny kicks very hard through 1st and 2nd, goes into high gear way too soon and kickdown is adjusted wrong also as it kicks down way too early.
Still no idea what 2nd vac connection on dist is for so I plugged it?
It runs and drives but idle is high but idle while in gear is low enough to stall engine?
If no compression issues I plan to get a Holley 600cfm carb instead of playing with worn out factory 2100.
I also gotta get headers to replace manifolds which drivers side is cracked and leaking.
What compression issues would not involve smoke?
Thanks
If a compression test shows a leaky valve or burnt exhaust valve seat, no smoke would come out of the tail pipe.
The fuel filter is in the canister at the bottom of the fuel pump.
The 2nd nipple was fed by a hose that supplied intake vacuum. From back in the "Emissions" days. Not necessary.

Old 09-08-2018, 06:55 AM
ovalhead72
Junior User
Thanks guys.
Well the Pertronix unit never worked and after 5 tries at starting a puff of smoke came out of it and thats thst lol.
Terrible instructions and even though i had everything as it should have been it failed.
Sending it back and gonna try someyhing else...any ideas?
Need something affordable...Accel points eliminator ignition? Something else?
Thanks

Old 09-08-2018, 07:33 AM
KULTULZ
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
https://youtu.be/Lmrdu_m0OyE

Exhaust has that varnish acidic smell so even after adding 10gal of 89 still bad smell.

Tomorrow gonna take apart the 2100 2bbl and clean the jets etc, drain the fuel tank too.
You have bad/varnished gasoline. The fuel system (incl carb) is fouled.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:41 AM
ovalhead72
Junior User
Im gonna replace the 2100 with a Holley, replace lines and behind seat tank with underframe tank too so screw taking apart that junk carb.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:07 AM
KULTULZ
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

Well the Pertronix unit never worked and after 5 tries at starting a puff of smoke came out of it and thats thst lol.
Terrible instructions and even though i had everything as it should have been it failed.
...hmmph...

What model, IGNITOR 1 or 2?

Maybe wait until the fuel situation is corrected and try it again.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:16 AM
ovalhead72
Junior User
It's ignitor 1 and it definitely burned up...my checklist today is reinstall the points and set them. They have a local hot rod show every Sat in a parking lot near me so I'm gonna go later and hopefully get some advice from others who can see and hear it in real time.
thanks always😉

Old 09-08-2018, 09:11 AM
My427stang
New User
It's definitely not running on all 8

Be sure to check firing order, a crossed wire can do it

If the truck sat for a long while, bad gas can stick a valve and bend a pushrod. Also, it could have eaten a cam, but I don't hear a clack like I'd suspect

I'd go back step by step, starting with pulling one plug at a time and look to see if you can find the dead ones, then troubleshoot both compression or spark.

I'd be surprised if it was the carb

Old 09-08-2018, 09:14 AM
ovalhead72
Junior User
Points are pitted goin to get new ones...

Quick Reply: 1972 F100 302/C4 Carb Issues?