Sponsored by: DP Tuner

EGTs high when warm

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 10:47 AM
Markus Luukko
More Turbo
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
EGTs high when warm

So ive been having this problem for the past month or so. First thought it was a boost leak, then a bad wastegate, and now I have no idea.
Truck runs fine, except for the fact it runs hotter than it did before (oil temp).
Trucks been getting bad fuel economy, used to be 18-20 MPG now its 15-16 MPG.
When cool the truck makes good exhaust backpressure and boost, but when warm, and at highway speed it acts funny.
When I lay on the pedal on the highway, the EBP and Boost will be very close to each other like 8:6. But when the trucks cold and im on side streets I can hit 15:8 in 1st gear!
I am starting to think either I have an exhaust leak or the EBP sensor is going bad.
This is very frustrating as ive put about 600$ into fixing this issue.
Info on truck is in my signature. TIA!

Old 09-05-2018, 01:32 PM
roostercrows
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could your manifold be leaking? I have the same issue and the drivers side manifold is leaking. I can hear a airy/farty noise when accelerating. Also you will see soot marks around the leaky spot on the manifold.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:21 PM
Markus Luukko
More Turbo
Originally Posted by roostercrows
Could your manifold be leaking? I have the same issue and the drivers side manifold is leaking. I can hear a airy/farty noise when accelerating. Also you will see soot marks around the leaky spot on the manifold.
Yes the manifold is leaking a little bit, haven’t mustered up the courage to do it. But the amount it leaks hasn’t changed from before, i think my exhaust back pressure system is screwed up as the sensor is giving me some funky readings like EBP at 3psi and boost at 5psi.
ill definitely be doing the manifold this fall.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:03 PM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
The title is 'high EGT' but no mention of it in the post....?

Old 09-05-2018, 10:04 PM
Markus Luukko
More Turbo
Originally Posted by '88 E-350
The title is 'high EGT' but no mention of it in the post....?
and your response is no help....

Old 09-06-2018, 05:38 AM
roostercrows
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm planning on doing mine in the near future, I'm just working on getting parts and materials together. I understand that it is not a nice job so I'm not looking forward to it either.

Old 09-06-2018, 06:37 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
OBDII adapter and app (like Torque Pro or FORScan). Do a Key On Engine Off reading of your MAP, EBP, and BARO. They should all read the same.

Exhaust leaks are very bad - they need fixin' right away when you have performance injectors and a tune.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:09 AM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Markus Luukko

and your response is no help....
Neither is yours, but having his EGTs under the varying conditions along with the other info might be helpful.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:59 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,442 Likes on 2,840 Posts
Originally Posted by '88 E-350
Neither is yours, but having his EGTs under the varying conditions along with the other info might be helpful.
The FTE'r asking for help is fairly new to the community and clearly frustrated with the problems he is having. He also seems to be tired of spending money on "fixes" that are not working or being told what the problem is and coming to find out that was wrong.

Let's cut him a bit of slack because he left out some information that is critical to us, but may have slipped his mind at the time he posted.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:28 PM
Markus Luukko
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Sous
The FTE'r asking for help is fairly new to the community and clearly frustrated with the problems he is having. He also seems to be tired of spending money on "fixes" that are not working or being told what the problem is and coming to find out that was wrong.

Let's cut him a bit of slack because he left out some information that is critical to us, but may have slipped his mind at the time he posted.
Thanks, I have a few data runs in an excel spreadsheet but so far no one, not even my tuner, can help me with reading it. I’ve basically narrowed it down to the exhaust back pressure sensor/tube or the “small” exhaust leak I have.

Today when driving to class Boost was at 5 psi, EBP was at 4psi. My Autoenguity is supposed to come in today, rn all I have is a Edge monitor.

I hope it’s this stupid sensor,
so far I’ve bought a new intake tube, IC boots and clamps, wastegate, and entire EBP system.
Puts me at 550$ so far.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:30 PM
Markus Luukko
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Tugly
OBDII adapter and app (like Torque Pro or FORScan). Do a Key On Engine Off reading of your MAP, EBP, and BARO. They should all read the same.

Exhaust leaks are very bad - they need fixin' right away when you have performance injectors and a tune.
On my Edge I can’t read BARO, and it won’t read below 0, my autoenguity is coming in today so I’ll try it out after class.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:36 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
As Rich mentioned, with the key to ON and the engine OFF after the truck has sat and is cold (like overnight), check the BARO, EBP and MAP. They should be within .5 (I think that is right) of each other.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:42 PM
Markus Luukko
More Turbo
As Rich mentioned, with the key to ON and the engine OFF after the truck has sat and is cold (like overnight), check the BARO, EBP and MAP. They should be within .5 (I think that is right) of each other.
Well I’ll look tomorrow morning before I leave, so if all are within .5 and the truck still runs hot with low boost/back pressure, I’d assume the issue lies in an exhaust leak since I have no large boost leaks at 25psi with a tester

Old 09-06-2018, 02:53 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
That is where I would start looking if your sensors are pretty close to each other when reading them on a cold engine.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:25 PM
Markus Luukko
More Turbo
That is where I would start looking if your sensors are pretty close to each other when reading them on a cold engine.
I’m getting BARO 148 PSI, MAP 14.5 and EBP 13.99

Quick Reply: EGTs high when warm