Oil Temp Warning - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Temp Warning

Old 08-08-2018, 11:15 AM
dirthawg
Elder User
dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.
Pulled this from the 6.7L Diesel Supplement for anyone that might not be aware of the additional idle time before shutdown necessary when towing.

SWITCHING OFF THE ENGINE
Turn the ignition to the off position.
To prolong engine life (especially after
extended high speed, high ambient
temperature, or high GVW/GCW operation,
such as heavy loads or heavy trailers), it is
recommended that a hot engine be idled
for 3-5 minutes. This allows the
turbocharged engine to cool down. For
more information on GVW/GCW, see the
Load Carrying chapter in your Owner’s
Manual.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:49 PM
FiveOJester
Senior User
FiveOJester is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.FiveOJester is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Looking thru the 6.7 tech manual, I see the turbo's are water cooled. I know that alleviates a lot of the issues of a "hot shutdown" as they design the coolant chambers so that water will continue flowing when the engine is shutoff via a "thermo-syphon". As the water heats up, it rises and will draw cooler water from the engine.

Still a good idea to let it cool, but I think its less of an issue than with the old style turbos that were only oil cooled.

Interesting Garrett White Paper on water-cooled turbos:

https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbo...er_Cooling.pdf

Old 08-08-2018, 05:06 PM
The Bone
Elder User
The Bone has a good reputation on FTE.The Bone has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by troverman View Post
You really don't need to wait for the glow plug light. Only in the extreme cold (say +10F or below) would it really be a problem if you didn't. And while I agree that idling for a couple of minutes after a very hard pull is a good idea, you probably don't need to. Ford specifically tests their engines for survivability of shutting down after an extreme run. Turbo cooling through coolant convection is much improved over the early days. As for oil, Ford diesel oil isn't even a blend unless you specifically request it. It's just standard 10w30 diesel oil.
I was told at the dealer that there is a diesel blend and not full synthetic that is what they normally put in diesel trucks. it's about $6 a quart. Maybe $7. I don't use that, I use full synthetic thats why my oil changes are around $200
As for the glow plug it's a habit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: