Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Oil Temp Warning (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1550551-oil-temp-warning.html)

ajp207 08-06-2018 11:29 AM

Oil Temp Warning

Ok, so my 2016 F350 6.7 is my first diesel. While going over mountains in Colorado my oil temp was in the 240 range. I came to a construction stop and without thinking I turned the engine off without idling to get the temp lower. When I was given the ok to continue and started the engine the oil temp gauge was buried and the red engine oil warning light came on. It quickly came off after about 20 seconds of running. My question is, did I damage the oil in any manner i.e. did it boil the oil, should I replace the oil, (currently about 2000 miles since last oil change) Any help appreciated.

Iowa Ford 08-06-2018 11:33 AM

I would say don't make a habit of doing that and you will be fine.

Desert Don 08-06-2018 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by ajp207 (Post 18126086)
Ok, so my 2016 F350 6.7 is my first diesel. While going over mountains in Colorado my oil temp was in the 240 range. I came to a construction stop and without thinking I turned the engine off without idling to get the temp lower. When I was given the ok to continue and started the engine the oil temp gauge was buried and the red engine oil warning light came on. It quickly came off after about 20 seconds of running. My question is, did I damage the oil in any manner i.e. did it boil the oil, should I replace the oil, (currently about 2000 miles since last oil change) Any help appreciated.

Being a new diesel owner, you want to stop that “without thinking”!! LOL. But all humor aside, I have read that phrase many times.......without thinking I put gas in the fuel tank........without thinking I put DEF in the fuel tank, etc. It seems to be one of the major causes of expensive repair bills.
Yes, on any engine.....gas or diesel.....I like to give them a few minutes after a hard pull to let things cool down a bit.
But, if everything returned to normal shortly after re-starting the engine, you are probably good to go.
Enjoy the smooth power of the PowerStroke!!

The Bone 08-06-2018 04:33 PM

I also let mine cool down before shutting it off. I do a lot of traveling with my 5th wheel and never shut it off when fueling. It's funny how much thinking you have to do when owning a diesel. You have to wait till the glow plug light goes off before starting the engine. Then wait till it cools down to normal operating temp before shutting it off. I only use synthetic oil because it works better under extreme conditions better than the blend. The blend doesn't mean a 50/50 ether. Not sure how much synthetic oil that they can use to call it a blend. Doesn't say on the can.

senix 08-06-2018 06:48 PM

Turbo's are the issue here. hot oil means no lube on the bearings.

Painted Horse 08-06-2018 09:11 PM

Most of the oils that are suitable for our trucks have a 400° or higher boil point.
So 240° is with in reason during hard work.

I assume your oil continued to heat up after you shut down, But I doubt it climbed more than 20-30° I think I read that you will see that message over 250° But I can't remember where, So take that with a grain of salt
But 242-244 is pretty common on hard pulls

kper05 08-07-2018 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Painted Horse (Post 18127060)
Most of the oils that are suitable for our trucks have a 400° or higher boil point.
So 240° is with in reason during hard work.

I assume your oil continued to heat up after you shut down, But I doubt it climbed more than 20-30° I think I read that you will see that message over 250° But I can't remember where, So take that with a grain of salt
But 242-244 is pretty common on hard pulls

Your old post backs you up! I still cannot locate a document from Ford that discusses an acceptable range.

The truck de-rates somewhere in the 240's doesn't it? Or is that what happens at 250°F (which is getting too hot in my opinion)?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post11737463

Originally Posted by Painted Horse (Post 11737463)
Last summer we asked about this and the response from the Ford Engineers was that 242 was still with in the design specs for this engine/oil. So unless you see something higher than that, You are fine.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...401dd9a32c.png

senix 08-07-2018 05:04 AM

I have hit as high as 248 with no derate in power. I do seem to recall 250 being the point at which it will limit power.

Pocket 08-07-2018 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by kper05 (Post 18127394)
Your old post backs you up! I still cannot locate a document from Ford that discusses an acceptable range.

The truck de-rates somewhere in the 240's doesn't it? Or is that what happens at 250°F (which is getting too hot in my opinion)?

Oil temps on these trucks can easily hit the 240's range with no ill effects whatsoever. The oil is fine and the engine won't be harmed. These trucks are designed to run hot like that.

Same goes for the trans temp.

jav_eee 08-07-2018 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by The Bone
I also let mine cool down before shutting it off. I do a lot of traveling with my 5th wheel and never shut it off when fueling. It's funny how much thinking you have to do when owning a diesel. You have to wait till the glow plug light goes off before starting the engine. Then wait till it cools down to normal operating temp before shutting it off. I only use synthetic oil because it works better under extreme conditions better than the blend. The blend doesn't mean a 50/50 ether. Not sure how much synthetic oil that they can use to call it a blend. Doesn't say on the can.

You have to wait for the glow plug light to go off? Whoops! :p

HRTKD 08-07-2018 10:16 AM

ajp207, was this going over Rabbit Ears Pass? I was there on Sunday going east. 30+ minute wait to get past it. Wait 2 minutes, move forward 200 yards, stop, wait 2 minutes, move forward 200 yards, etc, etc. The first stop I let the engine idle, the second stop I shut it down.

Like Senix said above, my engine oil temp often gets into the low 240's without any issues. A good synthetic oil won't have a problem going 30° F over that.

Tim C 08-07-2018 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by kper05 (Post 18127394)

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post11737463

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...401dd9a32c.png

Not sure on the 6.7s but the 6.0s would derate or cut fuel, at 253 degrees. I felt it several times when towing with a questionable oil cooler on my old 6.0.

troverman 08-07-2018 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by The Bone (Post 18126569)
It's funny how much thinking you have to do when owning a diesel. You have to wait till the glow plug light goes off before starting the engine. Then wait till it cools down to normal operating temp before shutting it off. I only use synthetic oil because it works better under extreme conditions better than the blend. The blend doesn't mean a 50/50 ether. Not sure how much synthetic oil that they can use to call it a blend. Doesn't say on the can.

You really don't need to wait for the glow plug light. Only in the extreme cold (say +10F or below) would it really be a problem if you didn't. And while I agree that idling for a couple of minutes after a very hard pull is a good idea, you probably don't need to. Ford specifically tests their engines for survivability of shutting down after an extreme run. Turbo cooling through coolant convection is much improved over the early days. As for oil, Ford diesel oil isn't even a blend unless you specifically request it. It's just standard 10w30 diesel oil.

ajp207 08-08-2018 08:28 AM

Oil temp warning

Originally Posted by HRTKD (Post 18128068)
ajp207, was this going over Rabbit Ears Pass? I was there on Sunday going east. 30+ minute wait to get past it. Wait 2 minutes, move forward 200 yards, stop, wait 2 minutes, move forward 200 yards, etc, etc. The first stop I let the engine idle, the second stop I shut it down.

Like Senix said above, my engine oil temp often gets into the low 240's without any issues. A good synthetic oil won't have a problem going 30° F over that.

I was going over million dollar highway Ouray to Durango, Thanks for all the help

ajp207 08-08-2018 08:35 AM

Oil temp warning

Originally Posted by senix (Post 18126796)
Turbo's are the issue here. hot oil means no lube on the bearings.

So, this is new to me, at what temp do you think this would become and issue, Thanks in advance