Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

License Plate Lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 06:34 AM
triniexr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
License Plate Lights

Has anyone changed out their license plate lights? Is it fairly simple to do and which LED bulb number did you use? I don't understand how every other light on this truck is LED and they left these 2.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:14 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by triniexr
Has anyone changed out their license plate lights? Is it fairly simple to do and which LED bulb number did you use? I don't understand how every other light on this truck is LED and they left these 2.
Go to the Diode Dynamics website and take a look at the three options they have. There are three levels of brightness and one of them matches the color of the OEM LED lighting but you might want something brighter.

I hope this info helps you out.

Have a great day.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:13 AM
MattOzzz
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I only saw one option on their website for license plate lights but those low beams got me thinking. Is this truly just plug and play? Anyone have any experience with the SL1 ? Any length of life issues?

Low Beam LED Headlight for 2018 Ford F-150 (pair)

Thanks,

matt

Old 07-03-2018, 08:28 AM
Diode Dynamics
SPONSOR
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by MattOzzz
I only saw one option on their website for license plate lights but those low beams got me thinking. Is this truly just plug and play? Anyone have any experience with the SL1 ? Any length of life issues?

Low Beam LED Headlight for 2018 Ford F-150 (pair)

Thanks,

matt
Hello Matt,

The SL1 is made here in St. Louis, 100% plug and play, and designed to outlast your truck. Here's the installation video:

Thanks!
Nick C.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:10 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
I don't understand how every other light on this truck is LED and they left these 2.
I asked the same thing on my Mustang, all the lighting in the dash is LED except the one on the switch that indicates when the headlights are on. It's usually burnt out AND it's a proprietary bulb so you can't just replace it with a regular one. Blame the bean counters I guess.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:30 AM
triniexr
Senior User
Originally Posted by GABAR
Go to the Diode Dynamics website and take a look at the three options they have. There are three levels of brightness and one of them matches the color of the OEM LED lighting but you might want something brighter.

I hope this info helps you out.

Have a great day.
Thanks!

I'm putting the information here for anyone else that searches for license plate bulbs.

​​​​​​​

Bulb Options

SMD2 - More details
  • Two surface-mount 5050 size chips, with simple construction and a low profile.
  • Polarity specific, sturdy terminal connections.
  • 24 lumens per bulb.
HP3 - More details
  • Samsung LED emitters with omnidirectional diffusing lens.
  • Newly-upgraded (Fall 2017) constant-current circuit.
  • 56 lumens per bulb.
HP5 - More details
  • High-power LED with omnidirectional diffusing lens.
  • Copper heatsinking for excellent long-term reliability.
  • 92 lumens per bulb.

Originally Posted by ghunt
I asked the same thing on my Mustang, all the lighting in the dash is LED except the one on the switch that indicates when the headlights are on. It's usually burnt out AND it's a proprietary bulb so you can't just replace it with a regular one. Blame the bean counters I guess.
LOL...engineers...

Old 07-08-2018, 10:56 AM
Aftrmidnite
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
In Maryland you can't use the Bright White LEDs on your tag lights or up the Lumens. I got stopped by the "Bridge Cops" and given an Equipment Violation Ticket. Their Cameras couldn't read the License Plate.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:03 AM
triniexr
Senior User
Originally Posted by Aftrmidnite
In Maryland you can't use the Bright White LEDs on your tag lights or up the Lumens. I got stopped by the "Bridge Cops" and given an Equipment Violation Ticket. Their Cameras couldn't read the License Plate.
That doesn't make sense, looks like the cop just wanted to hand out a ticket. Most of the high end cars like Mercedes, Audi, BMW etc come with the LED license plate lights.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:14 PM
BigBlue2.7
New User
Yes, 194/168 led for the plates. I got some JDM astar from Amazon and they look awesome. Easy going in but Ford didn't put any dioeletric grease so it was a pain coming out.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:12 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts
That doesn't make sense, looks like the cop just wanted to hand out a ticket. Most of the high end cars like Mercedes, Audi, BMW etc come with the LED license plate lights.
You are correct about many cars coming from the factory with LED license plate lights but when some people upgrade to aftermarket LED license plate lights, they choose some that are too bright and more than likely, that`s why the poster said tickets were given in his area. I`ve never heard of such a thing but anything is possible and every State is different.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:09 AM
Aftrmidnite
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I copied this off an attorney's site, which is the best explanation of the law. I have no interest in this attorney.

Legality of a Traffic Stop for Having a Covered License Plate in Maryland

Posted on January 21, 2014 by Christopher Peretti

What is the law on license plate covers in Maryland?
Maryland, like all states, has an interest in having all vehicles on the road have license plates clearly visible and legible. If a license plate number is covered, obscured, blocked, or altered this is a problem for tag readers (at toll booths, for instance) and causes a problem if that vehicle is involved in a hit and run or other crime and no one can properly identify the vehicle.

For that reason Maryland has a law for “failure to maintain legible registration plate free from covers.” This law is codified in Transportation Article § 13-411(c)(1) and states that plates must be “maintained free from foreign materials, including registration plate covers as defined in § 13-411.1 of this subtitle, and in a condition to be clearly legible.”

What exactly does that prohibit?
What type of covers are forbidden by this law? T.A. § 13-411.1 defines registration plate covers as any “tinted, colored, painted, marked, clear, or illuminated object” that covers the characters of the registration plate or causes the characters to be distorted in an image taken of the tag. This obviously forbids any cover that goes directly over the license plate, including one that is plastic, clear, and see through. Under the law these are even illegal to sell in Maryland.

But what about license plate covers/frames that only go around the border of the registration plate? A lot of car dealerships leave these on the back plates as free advertising for the dealership and these can be purchased from any college or university gift shop promoting the school. Are these also illegal? The statute is unfortunately not clear, but I do not believe that the statute intended to apply to these frames. If the frame covers up the month or year of the registration in the upper right or left corner then that would be a problem. If it covered up the name of the state at the top, I would argue that as long as it is evident what state the plate is then there is also no problem and that is an illegal traffic stop. Likewise if the frame only covered up some text at the bottom of the license plate I would argue that also is not prohibited in the statute.

What should I do if I’m charged with a traffic citation or criminal offense because of a stop for failure to maintain legible plate free from covers?
Definitely consult with an attorney as soon as possible! Do not just accept a criminal charge or traffic citation for this just because you were charged. Because there is no clear-cut case law on this issue, this often must be fought and argued in court at a suppression motion or motion to dismiss. I have won traffic and drug cases for my clients where there was an initial stop by the police based on the allegation that the license plate was unlawfully covered. If this type of thing has happened to you or a relative or loved one, call our office today to speak with attorney Chris Peretti at 301-875-3472. Our office has the experience and knows how to beat these cases in court.

Posted in Citation Charges, Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure, Drug Crimes, Handgun Crimes, Motion to Suppress, Search and Seizure, Traffic No Comments »

So be aware of this law, and I imagine other states may have similar laws on their books. BTW this was on my wife's Monetery, I got tired of replacing the lamp assemblies after the bulbs cooked them, so I tried LED's that ran cooler.