1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

The Redsurrection of El Rojo Loco, Poco a Poco.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 10:18 PM
7.3 forever
Fleet Mechanic
Received 166 Likes on 120 Posts
I’ve been running a walbro for a month or two now so probably not a lot of help there. But it’s definitely quite I’m also running a sump and 6an lines. But my brother has been running a walbro for over a year but he’s also running a sump and 8an lines. My selector valve was already bad and my fuel tank pickup was gone and from what I had read restrictions is what kills pumps. Maybe completely wrong on that but just thought I’d share what’s worked for me so far. As far as both tanks working I’m going to order a dual feed sump and installing in my front tank. And move my current single feed sump to the back and just let the rear tank gravity feed to the front. That’s my plan anyway.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:53 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,229 Likes on 1,003 Posts
I was out of town for a while, then my internet was down so no major updates.

Tow truck pic.

Fuel switch thing broke, ugh.

Dumpy tailgate I scored at junkyard, beats that POS bent gooseneck tailgate. If anyone wants it, I will trade it for a case of Miller Lite.

Lastly, cab lights shining strong!

Old 03-23-2019, 07:07 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

While removing the excessive Bondo on cab areas, no clue why there, I decided to pull the bed and do a Herculiner DIY liner. This is not a '3 Easy Step' job like the box bull****s you about.

Pulling the bed was not too bad, I also pulled the goose plate to tidy up while it was apart. I do need a few new bed bolts, so whatever the source is... post up guys!

My bed was REALLY beat to ****. PO did a DIY liner of some sort, but performed absolutely zero prep work. It was not a Herculiner, perhaps a rattle can of another brand. The old liner was flaking off in pieces revealing the ROJO paint below in all its glory! After reading the instructions multiple times, I discovered I had to 60 grit the old liner so the new would stick. Awesome. First I pulled my toolbox, vacuumed the bed, and washed it with a mild soap we all use in the shower named Dawn. I spent the better part of one day doing that alone. The painted areas, I used a green Scotchbrite pad to scuff. 60 grit by hand and a random orbital. Vacuum, back to sanding and scuffing. Then I grabbed the trusty 7" grinder with a wire wheel to grind off all of the RUST that was on my bed surfaces here and there. Total days spent via prep were easily three.

Once you are satisfied with your prep work, you need to wash the bed out again with a very aggressive agent in the event there is oil residue around. Herculiner recommends TSP, my local Ace had this in stock for a modest price of $6 for a powdered tub. Two gallons of hot water with about 1/2 cup TSP and off I went with heavy duty latex gloves. I cleaned it twice. Let it dry and was ready to apply my first coat.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:31 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

After more prep I was ready to wipe it down with Xylene. Then once dried, time to lay down the liner! Just go by with what the manual states, easy. I chose to fill all of these random holes from the PO, the 5er rails with frame brackets are gone, so I filled those also. Blue tape under the bed and it filled up nicely.

One can will not do an 8' bed with tailgate and one can will not do an 8' bed alone. I bought two gallons and used the extra on my side steps, now the plastic foot pad is much more sure footed and will be far better when wet. I used three coats on my bed, the difference is remarkable compared to how it started. Now it has cured for around one week, it seems very solid and slip free. I am very impressed for the about $200 total I have invested including supplies.

Please note the cab bondo, my guess the truck had a ladder rack at some point. This sloppy body work is what is left of it. E4 coded paint in the mail from Paintscratch to fix all that BS. Then I just need man mirrors again and tint!

Old 03-23-2019, 07:40 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

Lastly we were able to find out the manufacturer of my goose... ATWOOD.

I was trying to find the 5er frame plates and rails is why, no other reason. In any event, I cleaned it up while out too. Wire wheeled the thing, bunch of light coats of Ace's rust resistant outdoor BBQ pit black. It dried to a nice satin finish I like. Before and after pictures included. That is where the truck is at currently. Around 267k, rotated the tyres. Found my coolant leak as discussed previously, I will probably tackle this at some point.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:18 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Hit Man X
Lastly we were able to find out the manufacturer of my goose... ATWOOD.

I was trying to find the 5er frame plates and rails is why, no other reason. In any event, I cleaned it up while out too. Wire wheeled the thing, bunch of light coats of Ace's rust resistant outdoor BBQ pit black. It dried to a nice satin finish I like. Before and after pictures included. That is where the truck is at currently. Around 267k, rotated the tyres. Found my coolant leak as discussed previously, I will probably tackle this at some point.

My SD and OBS have that same style of gooseneck turnover ball. Better than a lever above the wheel IMHO.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:02 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

Did yours sandwich between the sheet metal of the bed also as a pseudo washer? Looks like it would fit flatter and/or better bolted directly to the goose crossmember for it. Shoot me some pics if you can pls.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:33 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 377 Likes on 269 Posts
Nice work man. Looking fly. It ain't a B&W, but you can hook a trailer to it anyway. Those turnover ***** were real popular about 10 years back until B&W came out with theirs.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:15 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Hit Man X
Did yours sandwich between the sheet metal of the bed also as a pseudo washer? Looks like it would fit flatter and/or better bolted directly to the goose crossmember for it. Shoot me some pics if you can pls.
Yes it did sandwich. I’ll see if I can’t get a pic tomorrow.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:56 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver

I would think the bed material would be too flimsy if it wasn’t sandwiched. This is in my SD.

Old 03-25-2019, 01:10 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 899 Likes on 683 Posts
mine don't look like that, I have a hug plate in the bed

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...k-install.html

Old 03-25-2019, 10:00 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,203 Likes on 828 Posts
I have a homemade gooseneck plate welded to the frame with 3/4 steel plate, its strong enough lol... I just cut an ugly square hole on the bed, looks or time wasn't an option when I installed it i needed it ASAP for the next day to pull the 5th with gooseneck attachment.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:15 AM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

Obviously the bed was removed, so I could tackle the repair of some body work. First, I have no body work skills. Yes, I know it is very difficult to do ahead of time and reworking someone else's **** poor job is even more hassle. It was done outside (HA), but hey, looks better than dead bondo hanging off the sides of the truck from an old ladder rack. From 15' or so, you cannot tell the paint does not match...despite being ordered in E4 code. Why? Truck was resprayed before, so either wrong red respray or fade, OR both which is my guess.

Bottom cab corners had to be fixed too, cleaned up best I could and used Bondo. VERY little. Just enough to fill the holes, then smoothed it all down. Primed, sanded, primed, sanded, basecoat, wetsand, clear, wetsand.

Anyway, here are some good laughs...

Old 04-19-2019, 11:49 AM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Old 04-19-2019, 12:04 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

Damnit, it deleted my text again!!!

Had to run a die on the bolts for the bed and a tap in the nuts. M12x1.75. They were all galled. Lots of rust and crap came off once done, retorqued to 50ftlbs per book. Bed back on and body work finished, not bad!

Please not the lab photo-bombing my pic!

New goose bolts coming. Grade 5 zinc coated, 5/8"-11 x 2.5" Replaced the old ratty ones, new washers, lock washers, nuts picked up at Ace. Then I can torque to spec, 110ftlbs as the fastener is coarse threaded.

Truck on the road with the poor shape tailgate, beats the crappy-*** bent goose one. That is going on CL and OfferUp for cheap, if no one wants it...off to scrap. I will sand off the paintbrush job brown paint on it, then rattle can it red. Plastic clips for the aluminum trim all broken, that is why the trim is not there!

Quick Reply: The Redsurrection of El Rojo Loco, Poco a Poco.