1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

The Redsurrection of El Rojo Loco, Poco a Poco.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 08:51 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I might be interested, Eric.. Could you hold until Christmas?

Old 11-23-2018, 10:46 AM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,229 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jarrett Campbell
I might be interested, Eric.. Could you hold until Christmas?

Done, it is in your pile.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:47 AM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

Well, this was one ****ed up weekend when it comes to wrenching!

Decided to change all the fluids in the I6 Envoy I just bought for my Ma after the Volvo got whacked by a dumptruck. Starting at front was easy as GM installed a fill plug on the IFS. Oil was a pain as the motor mounts are collapsed and the vehicle had a V8 oil filter installed as opposed to the slightly shorter I6 unit. Had to jack the motor up to remove this filter finally after some crafty contortionist work under the vehicle. Transfer case was easy enough and requires Autotrak II lube! ATF...well GM opted to delete the drain plugs on the 4L60E sometime between 2002 and 2005. Perfect. I left that alone and will procure a pan with a drain plug. Rear, GM also stopped installing drain plugs there too. BUT they used a reuseable gasket!

Up next came the brakes, this is where the real disaster started. LR bleed screw rounded with my line wrench. Since pads were thin, it received a full rear brake job including reman calipers and rotors. Reman LR had a cross threaded bleeder and would not stop leaking. Back to Autozone I went. Wrapped that up last night during the peak of the cold front, the wind is the bad part.

F350 wise...someone tried to steal my spare tire. It FELL OFF driving in my neighborhood. Initially I figured, perfect. Driveshaft fell off. Pulled out my 12V trouble light and took a look, nope eye bolt was out dragging in the bracket and spare. Removed it all, tossed in bed and drove home again. Why someone would want to steal a dually wheel for an old truck is beyond me.

IT GETS WORSE. I went to breakfast yesterday and had a nice meal. Went to leave, truck starts fine. Backed up fine. Go to turn left and no power assist...figured belt chewed up or truck died. Nope! High side PS line blew out from the flare fitting on the pump. The drive home was lots of fun!

Stay tuned for photos of the laughs. New hose here, spare inside house. Lots of empty cans around too due to this.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:26 PM
BuddyBarnes
Laughing Gas
Received 84 Likes on 57 Posts
My experience has been when one power steering line blows it will not be long before the other will go.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:42 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 131 Likes on 108 Posts
Better then paying for a gym membership! Been there, done that. I carry a spare hp ps hose now.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:21 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

As promised...

Return lines are new and I have a sweet inline filter. This high line has been weeping, ****er was even in my Cockauto cart. I was going to order it early December...guess I waited too long! So anyone reading this, replace the high and low lines as well as rebuild your C2 pump. Pump kit was about $11, hoses probably $40, filter about $15 I think. C2 super easy to rebuild yourself.

Anyway, I will be swapping and burping this setup. Shimming the injectors. Swapping diff oil again. Probably something else.

100% prepared for the laughs directed toward me!

Old 11-30-2018, 12:35 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

PS high line fixed and system bled out. Easy. Spare reinstalled with one of those wire rope lock things...so if someone wants that wheel they will have to fight for it!

Injectors shimmed with that ebay kit, going to crank him up here in a bit. Per the kit they were a bit tight, all over 0.002" but less than 0.004". This required 0.004" worth of shims for me, two of the 0.002" units. Each solenoid then took a 0.002" on all four corners. The directions are terrible that come with the kit. I had to read them about 20 times to figure out what the hell the seller is trying to explain. Too much flipping back and fourth between the sides. He needs to just send the **** out on PDF or print a few more pages. Plus someone with grammar skills to proof it.

If clearance less than 0.002" under the armature, you will need three shims under the armature. Then one 0.003" solenoid shim per bolt (four total).
If clearance more than 0.002" under the armature, you will need two shims under the armature. Then one 0.002" solenoid shim per bolt (four total).

Put each of the small bags into ziptop bags.

If it does not help me, I will report it and you guys can all laugh at me.

Ran a cold compression test on No 8 again...now it shows 375psi. WTF I removed as much oil around the GP before removal. I am sure some got in there, but how can I jump nearly 150psi on that cylinder?? If it does have 375psi, where the hell is my oil going.

Received my Autocheck and Carfax today, truck appears to have sold new in late 1995 as a fleet vehicle. End of 1999 it had 137k when traded in a dealer! I bet this is when the newer radiator was installed, the updated black hose CCV system, and the reman injectors.

My pal is going to see if he can grab me an OASIS on this thing. We will see.

Old 11-30-2018, 12:47 PM
7.3 forever
Fleet Mechanic
Received 166 Likes on 120 Posts
In my experience it’s allways right where the hose hooks to the power steering pump that it blows. Has happened to my truck twice and I’ve replaced one for someone that it blew at exact same spot. Maybe it’s just a fluke lol

Old 11-30-2018, 01:09 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

It cranked a ton...

then I remembered to plug in the engine harness under the master cylinder.

Then it started right up.

Old 11-30-2018, 01:49 PM
BuddyBarnes
Laughing Gas
Received 84 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by 7.3 forever
In my experience it’s allways right where the hose hooks to the power steering pump that it blows. Has happened to my truck twice and I’ve replaced one for someone that it blew at exact same spot. Maybe it’s just a fluke lol
Same here. Right at the pump

Old 11-30-2018, 05:02 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,203 Likes on 828 Posts
Thats what I did with the set of stock injectors I installed on my truck yesterday all were under the .002 clearance but with just the .002 armature shim brought them back to what I call a perfect .004 clearance, truck is idleing perfect and the exhaust dont stink like it did with my stage 1's. Next up is a brand new set of code AC injectors for the Mule.

Old 11-30-2018, 05:53 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

Truck is ready to drive, well going to swap that front tank sending unit o-ring tomorrow. I even installed that damned steering shock. Stay tuned for pics.

You can send those Stage 1s here if you want.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:03 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

Here we go!

PS works. Spare will be hard to boost. OE hose versus fresh.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:12 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

Few more of some modest repairs.

The Ford authorized stuff is that updated CCV stuff

Old 11-30-2018, 07:51 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,203 Likes on 828 Posts
Originally Posted by Hit Man X
Truck is ready to drive, well going to swap that front tank sending unit o-ring tomorrow. I even installed that damned steering shock. Stay tuned for pics.

You can send those Stage 1s here if you want.
Everything has a price, i also have an e99 spider with Riffraff boots, a tp38 with the freakify mod with 100k on rebuild with upgraded parts minus the SPX wheel (has the cast one in it) a brand new e99 deleted Garret turbo pedestal and miscellaneous gaskets and up pipe seals etc. And of course these stage one's, didnt check which were bad (they had a good amount of coolant gone thru them when my old mill went out they still work but my exhaust was stinky but no visble smoke and a slight miss. Holler at me if your interested.

Quick Reply: The Redsurrection of El Rojo Loco, Poco a Poco.