2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Super Duty Production Halt?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 11:14 PM
Larrymac52
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by davidpacificnw
They just don't make shows like hehaw anymore. Cheers
Agree with you while I feel we are aging ourselves.
👍

Old 05-11-2018, 11:24 PM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
Received 150 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Larrymac52

Agree with you while I feel we are aging ourselves.
👍
well, I was a very young child then.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:26 AM
Professor Fate
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, I was a very young child then.
Well I was old enough to remember Gunilla Hutton from the show....

Old 05-13-2018, 08:44 PM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
If this article is to be believed, it would appear that it is as the emperor foretold.

Ford F-Series Production Could Resume Sooner Than Expected - The Truth About Cars

Sadly, it looks like Ford is hanging those of us with Super Duties on order out to dry. I guessed this is what they'd do. If you believe this article, Super Duty plant will sit idle until inventory for affected parts are sufficient at all three F-150 plants. Basically, that could be the end of June before they fire up the SD plant maybe later. My guess is they've just said "screw it" and are acting as if 2018 SD product never happened. Pathetic that I have a vehicle with an MSPR deep into the 70's and they've elected to say FU and basically wreck my summer, or force me into something I don't want. I'll lose my CPO, my trade is worth less every month and my travel trailer is sitting on the lot. I guess I should roll over to the Chevy store and test drive one of those. Maybe their interested in my business. Ridiculous.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:13 PM
Larrymac52
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If this article is to be believed, it would appear that it is as the emperor foretold.

Ford F-Series Production Could Resume Sooner Than Expected - The Truth About Cars

Sadly, it looks like Ford is hanging those of us with Super Duties on order out to dry. I guessed this is what they'd do. If you believe this article, Super Duty plant will sit idle until inventory for affected parts are sufficient at all three F-150 plants. Basically, that could be the end of June before they fire up the SD plant maybe later. My guess is they've just said "screw it" and are acting as if 2018 SD product never happened. Pathetic that I have a vehicle with an MSPR deep into the 70's and they've elected to say FU and basically wreck my summer, or force me into something I don't want. I'll lose my CPO, my trade is worth less every month and my travel trailer is sitting on the lot. I guess I should roll over to the Chevy store and test drive one of those. Maybe their interested in my business. Ridiculous.
Feel your frustration and think Ford is making a poor judgment here. They’ve already admitted to a solid national inventory of F150’s. Seems like they should split the parts required between the F150 and the SD plants to where there is at least a 50% production level at both plants so that as parts increase it would be easier to escalate the production at both plants rather than keep one plant dormant and making it harder for it to get started.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:19 PM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Larrymac52

Feel your frustration and think Ford is making a poor judgment here. They’ve already admitted to a solid national inventory of F150’s. Seems like they should split the parts required between the F150 and the SD plants to where there is at least a 50% production level at both plants so that as parts increase it would be easier to escalate the production at both plants rather than keep one plant dormant and making it harder for it to get started.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if us orphan 2018 open orders get a call from the dealer saying "your order is cancelled" and giving us the option to reorder as a 2019. That will be the last straw for me. I have a GM SUV that I am and have been extremely happy with over the last 4 years. I want this truck, but am not willing to wait until August or September for it.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:20 PM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
^^^^^^^^^ I believe the piece that ya'll might be missing is the F150 plant is shut down with thousands laid off, the SD plant has not laid off anyone. So, Ford is sending the available parts to keep the labor force going. It is the way they will loose less money overall; a simple business decision with dollars and cents at its core. The SD production will start as soon as they can source the parts. I assure you it will not stay offline any longer than that takes, this is because the SD trucks offer the largest profit margin of their product offerings.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:25 PM
h20camper
Logistics Pro
Received 273 Likes on 188 Posts
Originally Posted by toymaster
this is because the SD trucks offer the largest profit margin of their product offerings.
That is interesting. What data supports that?

Old 05-13-2018, 09:32 PM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by h20camper
Hmm, lets see, same as f150 for all intents and purposes with bigger springs, axle and engine, but bucket loads more money. LOL. On a per vehicle basis, there is no doubt about it. All that said, I doubt they will extend build out and double overtiming is in three weeks is only going to mean that there are a ton more vehicles sitting on the ground waiting for transport. It just means you new SD will be sitting on a hot parking lot baking for two months instead of one month. There is NO good news here for open SD orders. We are all sitting here with our PCOs waiting for our vehicle.

Maybe they saw all the PCO's tiger handed out and decided it was better to wait until they expired.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:35 PM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by h20camper
From reading mostly, it is a well-known fact and I really thought no one here would even question it. With a quick search I found this one but there are many throughout the years. Why do you think Ford is stopping selling sedan cars?

The only thing that is difficult is to separate out the SD from the F150, most all of the published figures lump the F-series into one pile. You could say logically with the higher price tag that there are more profits to be squeezed out.

The importance of trucks

Ford’s total truck segment increased sales by 9.3%. Within that segment, the F-Series delivered some remarkable numbers in August with 15% growth to 77,007 trucks sold. Ford pointed out that within those sales is a high demand for the more expensive high-end super duty trucks. Trims like the “King Ranch” or “Platinum” super duty trucks represented 53% of retail sales. This is big for Ford’s bottom line. These types of high trim trucks make a fortune. Average transaction prices increased $3,400 for F-series trucks compared to 2016. That increase brings ATP’s to $45,600 per vehicle. If this strength continues through September, there’s very little doubt in my mind that Ford will report a surprisingly strong third quarter.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/410...s-mean-profits

Old 05-13-2018, 09:41 PM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
^^^^^^^^^ , the SD plant has not laid off anyone. So, Ford is sending the available parts to keep the labor force going. .
To be clear, F250/350 production is halted. Ford is not sending available parts to KT for SD production unless you know something everyone else does not. F150 has nearly three months supply. I would guess SD does not.

Whatever, I'm just going to be p!$$3D until I either get some comfort on arrival or go buy something else. I was excited about this rig, but i can get excited about a something else too. I am 100% sure if they cancel the order I am going to a chevy dealer. I just don't have time to F around with the silliness. What kind of knuckle head makes a chinese company a single source provider of the #1 selling, and Ford's most profitable vehicle? Just the geopolitical risks alone should make one think twice about it. Add what I've read is a questionable safety record and questionable manufacturing processes, it would appear it was only a matter of time.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:46 PM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
To be clear, F250/350 production is halted..
David, I think everyone is clear on that, the Kentucky plants makes other vehicles besides SD's.

Look man, friends don't let friends buy Chevrolets, especially those with isuzu motors. Give them a few weeks to get their vendors in order.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:59 PM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
David, I think everyone is clear on that, the Kentucky plants makes other vehicles besides SD's.

Look man, friends don't let friends buy Chevrolets, especially those with isuzu motors. Give them a few weeks to get their vendors in order.

Well, I am coming out of a Chevy and it has done a great job over the last 4 years. Very happy with it. I hope they get this worked out. I can deal with a few weeks delay, but beyond that in what is already an unreasonable amount of time to from order to delivery, I will figure something else out. Hope it doesn't come to that, but not looking good right now.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:18 PM
OnlyBlue
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venting Here Is Okay, but ........

Coming from big corporate retirement, public sentiment will make it to the Top Floor. I am not happy about the Truth About Cars article either. Dealers talk to Zone Managers and on up the chain. Mine was to be built tomorrow 5/14 and have sold 2 Ford trucks bought new to buy ANOTHER new one so I am "without". I am sure there are lots of F150 special orders on hold too, we just need to be sure they hear our money and loyalty is just as good or better. I respect business decisions as I have given input on lots of them. Right is Right, Wrong is Wrong and I hope the decision makers use that logic.
I am going to ask for 2 small things, give me the respect a sold customer deserves and tell me the truth about where this is going. Not much else we have control over except where we spend our money now and in the future. More than likely I will still drive a Ford and they probably know that.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:32 AM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Why don't you guys just buy one off the lot, you could have your truck tomorrow. Buy the platform you want, e.g. diesel, CCSB, 6.7L, 4x4, and everything else is immaterial. You can add it on later for the most part. Usually cheaper and better quality anyways.

Never understood the ordering and agonizing wait thing. Go get one tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Super Duty Production Halt?