2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Super Duty Production Halt?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 08:36 PM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
Received 150 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by No.15
I guess disasters like this expose weakness in the JIT manufacturing processes a lot of companies use. No on hand stock to keep things running.
Less JIT and more single source supplier it would seem?

Old 05-09-2018, 08:46 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by davidpacificnw
Less JIT and more single source supplier it would seem?
Agreed; however, the single source supplier appears to also have been utilizing JIT manufacturing.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:50 PM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
my intel is that they 18's will stay the same at this time and will not be switched over to 19s.
To me this would be the most prudent business decision. Keep the '18MY till all the sold orders were fulfilled then swap over to the '19MY for the dealer stock orders. Having to go back to every customer would be a PITA and a waste of resources not to mention a source of customer complaints.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:50 PM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
My rig was 4 days away from production. I am hoping that the delay allows them to clear the shipping backlog, so when mine gets built, it won't sit for a month waiting for shipping. Best case scenario is the two week delay in production will be mostly made up with a two week improvement in transport.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:30 PM
OnlyBlue
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me Too .......

[QUOTE=davidpacificnw;17975044]My rig was 4 days away from production. I am hoping that the delay allows them to clear the shipping backlog, so when mine gets built, it won't sit for a month waiting for shipping. Best case scenario is the two week delay in production will be mostly made up with a two week improvement in transport.[/QUOTE

I am in the same boat. My 18 250 Lariat was scheduled next week on the 14th, with delivery estimate of 6/11. Visited my dealer today (Fleet Manager) and they are in the dark on what is going to happen to the 150. They were thinking the Super Duty was safe for a couple of weeks with possibly some parts between MI and KY but that now looks dim. Only good news was we locked in my $3000 PCO and $1500 more that was in the system. Surely this will be settled with a truck on the ground before July 8th.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:32 PM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by OnlyBlue
Surely this will be settled with a truck on the ground before July 8th.
As my first divorce lawyer used to say: "keep hope alive, brother"

We all know how well that worked out......

On the serious side, I think we have a good chance at corporate extending the july 9th deadline on the PCO offer....

Old 05-10-2018, 05:59 AM
TJP249
Tuned

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
my intel is that they 18's will stay the same at this time and will not be switched over to 19s.
The other factor is the VIN, Once VIN assigned, I think they would do everything they can to produce that vehicle as ordered.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:25 AM
OnlyBlue
Freshman User
Well, my truck that was to be built next week now has the delivery date in COTUS extended from 6/11 to 6/23. There goes my sales tax reduction on how much I sold my old F150 and F350 for to buy this new 250 Lariat ! I like my Jeep Wrangler but not having a truck (or 2) sucks not to mention the $$$$.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:28 AM
nrimshaw
Freshman User
I received VIN on 4/6 with an estimated delivery of 6/21. Today it was pushed out to 6/25. The wait is killing me!

Old 05-10-2018, 10:52 AM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by toymaster

On the serious side, I think we have a good chance at corporate extending the july 9th deadline on the PCO offer....
I would say there is close to zero percent chance that PCO deadline gets extended. Why would they? If anything, you should see incentives go down as dealer's clear inventory for "need it now" buyers. Look at it this way, this is at least a two week interruption in supply chain. Add to it that special orders are prioritized over stock orders and you have a mess on your hands. So, stock orders are behind special orders and the dealers run low on supply of inventory. From a marketing and sales perspective, why would you extend in that scenario? Especially when you already know you are going to take a profit hit. I am going to be on the cut line for sure as my vehicle was scheduled to be produced on the 13th, which now means best case scenario is the 27th (based on my inside info). F350 so no cotus and dealer is in the dark. When I get an update, I'll post it.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:15 AM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
....So, stock orders are behind special orders and the dealers run low on supply of inventory. From a marketing and sales perspective, why would you extend in that scenario? Especially when you already know you are going to take a profit hit. .
A valid argument but we are not dealing with a small cohesive business where the business decisions and sales perspectives are the same, in corporate America this is separate groups of people. The marketing and sales want to make 'sales' and that is that, the number of units moved is what matters. A sale on July 10 is the same as July 9th to them. When it comes down to it the promotion is a tool to make a sale (any sale). With this fiasco, stock will be low and buyers as a whole may not be as willing to make a purchase, especially with 2019's showing up on the lot in a few weeks. Given this sales of 2018's will/may be down (?). In my mind, there is a good chance sales will put pressure to extend every offer they have to try and drive up sales. I admit it could go either way and will be interesting to watch it unfold.

Meanwhile, the operations people are busy trying to meet a certain demand (quota). They are not worried about sales they are just worried about meeting their assigned task. I'm sure with billions of dollars on the line mountains will be moved in short order.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:01 PM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
toymaster, yes it could go either way for sure. One could argue that they might increase incentives to ensure they hold the title of #1 vehicle in America. Hoping they get this resolved quicker than the two weeks I've been told. Situation is definitely fluid right now.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:18 PM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE=OnlyBlue;17975125]
My rig was 4 days away from production. I am hoping that the delay allows them to clear the shipping backlog, so when mine gets built, it won't sit for a month waiting for shipping. Best case scenario is the two week delay in production will be mostly made up with a two week improvement in transport.[/QUOTE

I am in the same boat. My 18 250 Lariat was scheduled next week on the 14th, with delivery estimate of 6/11. Visited my dealer today (Fleet Manager) and they are in the dark on what is going to happen to the 150. They were thinking the Super Duty was safe for a couple of weeks with possibly some parts between MI and KY but that now looks dim. Only good news was we locked in my $3000 PCO and $1500 more that was in the system. Surely this will be settled with a truck on the ground before July 8th.
PCOs cant get locked in. Just an FYI. Once the date passes, it is no good.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:20 PM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by toymaster
As my first divorce lawyer used to say: "keep hope alive, brother"

We all know how well that worked out......

I think there is no way in hell they will extend it. I had tried in the past due to delivery delays and vehicles being hung up for 4-6 weeks for delivery. Date is the date.. delays happen, not something Ford is going to extend.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:22 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by nrimshaw
I received VIN on 4/6 with an estimated delivery of 6/21. Today it was pushed out to 6/25. The wait is killing me!
I heard it was your truck that started the fire!

I'm sure it'll buff out. LOLz.

Quick Reply: Super Duty Production Halt?