Input Appreciated - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Input Appreciated

Old 04-12-2018, 09:23 PM
copsey
Senior User
copsey has a great reputation on FTE.copsey has a great reputation on FTE.copsey has a great reputation on FTE.copsey has a great reputation on FTE.
Input Appreciated

My Excursion runs amazing when warm, however itís only running on 7 cylinders when cold. By cold I mean anything with oil temp under 100 degrees. Scanned it tonight, only code aside from EGR (deleted) is a P0683. Ran a resistance check through the GPCM and all measured between .2 and .5 ohms. No contribution codes. Iím guessing I have a bad injector but why wouldnít I get a contribution code for that cylinder?

Any idea why there wouldnít be a contribution code? Going to run a parallel wire for the PCM to GPCM this weekend to eliminate that code.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:50 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
What scan tool are you using?

Old 04-12-2018, 09:54 PM
copsey
Senior User
copsey has a great reputation on FTE.copsey has a great reputation on FTE.copsey has a great reputation on FTE.copsey has a great reputation on FTE.
Torque Pro on an Android tablet.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:02 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
That should pick up a contribution code if there is one.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:10 PM
copsey
Senior User
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
That should pick up a contribution code if there is one.
Thatís why Iím confused. Iím sure it could be a glow plug just based on the symptoms but until I get the diag wire replaced I wonít know.

Old 04-13-2018, 02:12 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
WatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to behold
It doesn't really need a glow plug at that temp unless it's not delivering the correct fuel until it warms up and the other cylinders are compensating.

find someone with IDS or the clone and run the uncompensated test to really see what that hole is doing.

Old 04-13-2018, 02:57 PM
Monster-4
Postmaster
Monster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud of
By 7 cylinders do you mean it's sluggish? You check your FICM voltage?

Old 04-13-2018, 04:37 PM
69cj
Post Fiend
69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
Did you check the ficm voltage?

Old 04-13-2018, 04:58 PM
87crewdually
Postmaster
87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold
You can easily have one or two lazy injectors and not have a code. The injector has to be dam near inoperable for a code to set alot of times.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:20 PM
copsey
Senior User
FICM steady at 14, 14 and 48.5.

Truck isn't really sluggish but when it shifts to 5th and the converter locks you can feel one hole isn't firing. Almost a stutter in power delivery. i'd love to find someone local that knows what they are doing, haven't been able to find anyone with IDS that has a clue, including the local dealer.

Oil temps below 60ish degrees are when this occurs, runs perfect above 100 oil temp.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:21 PM
copsey
Senior User
Originally Posted by 87crewdually View Post
You can easily have one or two lazy injectors and not have a code. The injector has to be dam near inoperable for a code to set alot of times.
That's my guess. Will have to see about getting a knock-off IDS.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:59 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
Also with the IDS and clone and I think Snap On you can run a glow plug check.

And yes I am getting ready to order things.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:06 PM
87crewdually
Postmaster
87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by copsey View Post
That's my guess. Will have to see about getting a knock-off IDS.
. You're a little too far away. But what you describe is classic example of a lazy injector. The last 6.0 I worked on had 2 lazy ones on opposite sides. They wouldn't even chatter until warmed up. I put in fresh 5w40 syn and Hotshots Secret. After 85 miles of hard running they both came alive on a 40į cold start.

. Which reminds me. Can you perform a BUZZ test? You can use Forscan for this. Then if you don't hear an injector BUZZ in order then more than likely that's the lazy dead one.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:23 PM
copsey
Senior User
Didn’t even think about the buzz test with Forscan. Can do that tomorrow morning. Truck should be cooled down enough to confirm. Does the buzz test run in order 1 through 8?

Old 04-14-2018, 09:26 PM
copsey
Senior User
I should also add that I had the passenger side bank of injectors replaced about 20k ago. I’m hoping it’s not one of those but I should still be within the two year warranty if that’s the case.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Input Appreciated

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.