Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Nerf bar diameter???

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 11:26 PM
kstah
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nerf bar diameter???

Looking at putting on either 5” , 4”, or 3” nerf bars. Does anyone have any advice on which size to choose? If you have any pics handy and wouldn’t mind sharing I’d greatly appreciate it!! Thank you!

I thought something like these:

https://runningboardwarehouse.com/io...nerf-bars.html

https://runningboardwarehouse.com/sh...nerf-bars.html

https://runningboardwarehouse.com/sh...nerf-bars.html

Old 04-05-2018, 01:53 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Well, size is your choice but if it were me I'd go with stainless. I don't care what magical powder coat finish a manufacturer applies, all it takes is one scrape or rock chip in the powder coat to start the rust. Once powder coat starts rusting under the coating things get ugly quickly. Particularly if you live in an area where they salt the roads.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:19 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

IMHO...go with a minimum of 5in. They seem to fit the f150 better. If I am not mistaken both OEM offerings are either 5in or 6in. So, the 4in or 3in would just look off...

biz

Old 04-06-2018, 10:19 AM
jimmy-six
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just got to ask this. When did side steps become "nerf" bars? Our race cars have nerf bars for a dam good reason but I don't see any of our trucks on a circle track needing protection from an open wheel/ trie.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:40 AM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmy-six
I just got to ask this. When did side steps become "nerf" bars? Our race cars have nerf bars for a dam good reason but I don't see any of our trucks on a circle track needing protection from an open wheel/ trie.
Actually, I think a lot of people confuse steps with rock sliders designed to protect the rocker panels off road. They don't. A true rock slider uses brackets either welded or bolted to the frame that are actually stronger than the tube so they're not the point of failure. These steps will fold up like a beer can if you drag the 4,000 pound truck they're attached to over a boulder.

But hey, if you like the look, it's your truck. Go for it. How many people spend thousands on lift kits, big tires, and outrageously expensive phony bead lock wheels and would never dream of going off road and scraping up those expensive wheels.

You should do whatever makes you happy. It's your truck.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:17 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 216 Likes on 182 Posts
I just got to ask this. When did side steps become "nerf" bars? Our race cars have nerf bars for a dam good reason but I don't see any of our trucks on a circle track needing protection from an open wheel/tire.
LOL! When I was a kid, and was building model cars, the things we called nerf bars are what they call bull bars now. Maybe it's a generational thing?

Old 04-07-2018, 08:46 PM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was thinking the same thing, I think of nerf bars as front tube bumpers to gently let the person know you're behind them

Originally Posted by PupnDuck
Actually, I think a lot of people confuse steps with rock sliders designed to protect the rocker panels off road. They don't. A true rock slider uses brackets either welded or bolted to the frame that are actually stronger than the tube so they're not the point of failure. These steps will fold up like a beer can if you drag the 4,000 pound truck they're attached to over a boulder.

But hey, if you like the look, it's your truck. Go for it. How many people spend thousands on lift kits, big tires, and outrageously expensive phony bead lock wheels and would never dream of going off road and scraping up those expensive wheels.

You should do whatever makes you happy. It's your truck.
We tried to explain that to our sales team

Originally Posted by GlueGuy
LOL! When I was a kid, and was building model cars, the things we called nerf bars are what they call bull bars now. Maybe it's a generational thing?

Haha itt's not a generational thing (I'm 26), I'd never call those nerf bars

Trending Topics

Old 04-15-2018, 05:55 PM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
I have these on my 2001, have been on for over ten years and look great still
https://www.realtruck.com/nerf-bars-...er1=4294965152

Old 04-15-2018, 07:49 PM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Growing up, nerf bars were basically tube style side steps and we didn’t know what a bull bar was...we had push bumpers and brush guards.

2-3” diameter seems appropriate to me.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:56 PM
Truck Brigade
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 inch nerf bars are popular for an aftermarket choice but usually only because of the low cost. For those who care about appearance, I would stick with a 5" wide option like many above said. These are much more "fitting" for a full size truck. In regards to the finish, Stainless steel is definitely going to be the most resistant to rust and corrosion. If you're really wanting to go with a black option, I would look at Steelcraft's BlackOut Series. Those have proven themselves to hold up well in climates that experience snow and ice on the roads.

Good luck!

Old 04-24-2018, 10:32 AM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
3" seems way too small to me. I'd have to agree with above and go with 5". Also, you don't want to go too small or you run the risk of getting your foot between the bar and the truck. Not a good thing.