Any suggestoins? Motor is comin out!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 10:56 PM
MuchToMyDelight
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My rear main is leaking something fierce, so this weekend, the motor is coming out. I am gonna replace the rear main (front main got changed with the timing set), inspect the oil pump and screen, paint the motor, and see how bad my bearings are. It won't be long before I give her new rings and bearings, but is there anything you guys can think of that I should do while the motor is out?

Old 09-16-2003, 07:53 AM
jwtaylor
Postmaster

Do you want to take the motor out to do the rear main? Go ahead and do the rings and bearings and replace oil pump/ pickup if you want to take the motor out (do it all at once save yourself some time and energy) adding a little oil here and there beats taking the motor out to change a rear main only to take it out again, that would be my suggestion. Slide the tranny back do the rear main and wait to pull the motor unless you just want to do it. Good luck

Old 09-16-2003, 09:21 AM
MuchToMyDelight
Posting Guru

Its in a 72, only gas line, temp, oil, and ignition wires to disconnect. A little oil? Its pouring out. The cheapest ring and bearing prices (oil pump too) I have found were around $100-$125, and I dont have that much right now. If someone can point me towards a -$100 set, I might consider it, but quality drops when you buy stuff that cheap.

Old 09-16-2003, 09:56 AM
DW2455
Posting Guru

yup pulling the motor on a 72 would be a breezz, but i agree with JW, if your gona pull the motor, man by all means go ahead and bo the botttom end, Do a compression test and if your numbers are strong and uniform then slap the rods and mains in a new oil pump. DW

Old 09-16-2003, 11:22 AM
jwtaylor
Postmaster

Pulling and engine is not a big deal however time consuming. Try www.jcw.com or www.northerautoparts.com for re-ring kits they list kits for +/- $100. Don't buy paint to paint your engine you may think I am kidding however not save every dime you can get and make it run right if it looks good and runs poorly then you have a shiny apple with a rotten core. You are gonna unbolt the tranny whichever way you go but it is easier to slide the tranny back and stop as opposed to going ahead an removing engine. Not trying to give you a hard time, just putting ideas out there, as mentioned before, good luck with whatever you decide

Old 09-16-2003, 11:30 AM
stepman
Posting Guru

I would do the bearings since you'll have it out but I wouldn't go as far as rings unless you have a serious comp or oil burning problem. I would change freeze plugs though as this would be better than doing them with the motor in.

Old 09-16-2003, 05:18 PM
MuchToMyDelight
Posting Guru

Heres the deal. A set of bearings runs about $40, an oil pump~ another 40, and rings~$20 for stock, 50 for moly. Im gonna just change the seal this weekend, and save up some cash and get bearings, rings, and an oil pump and paint. My main reason is that I have a packed schedule this weekend, and I am only gonna have 4-5 hours to do all of this, and I gotta have the truck running. My uncle is a mechanic and he contracts for GA Power fixing trucks. I figure 1 hour to pull everything, an hour to drain the oil and drop the pan, an hour to change the seal and clean everything and button her back up, and an hour dropping her back in. I think we can do it. But never fear, bearings and rings are on the way, and when they get here, you guys will be the first to know.

And thanks JW, northernautoparts.com has a kit for $78!!

Trending Topics

Old 09-16-2003, 06:05 PM
stepman
Posting Guru

Hope it work out. I don't remember it being brought up but don't forget about the cost of gaskets too.

Old 09-16-2003, 07:08 PM
MuchToMyDelight
Posting Guru

all I will need is the oil pan gasket and the seal itself, right?

Old 09-16-2003, 09:08 PM
stepman
Posting Guru

I forgot what we were talking about but yeah, I think that covers it. I was just thinking that with everyone talking about rings you would be looking at head, intake and everything else. If you are going to go ahead and pull it to do this you may also need ex. man. gaskets.

Old 09-16-2003, 09:21 PM
MuchToMyDelight
Posting Guru

like it says in my sig, its got a new front end, and the intake gaskets have about 300 miles on them, so I think I will hold off on all that untill I can afford better parts. Economy bearings dont instill the greatest confidence, and moly rings would be nice. Later folks!

Old 09-17-2003, 03:25 PM
Moe Joe
New User

Not to hyjack this thread but....I have a '89 with the 302/auto that also has a bad rear main seal. Do you have to pull the engine to repalce the seal or can you do it with the engine in the Bronco?

Old 09-17-2003, 03:50 PM
DW2455
Posting Guru

No you dont have to pull the engine, but have to pull the transmision back, remove the fly wheel and its right there. DW