6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

FICM 7 pin problem F-250! HELP!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 04:47 AM
RusLAN
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FICM 7 pin problem F-250! HELP!!!!!!!

Hello! Help or assist to understand with a problem. When the street became cold, the car began to get badly started, and then it stopped completely. The candles and the glow relay were checked, so there was one possible reason - FICM. Fuse OK. Verification FiCM showed: the voltage when the ignition is not switched on 48v, when the ignition is on, drops to 20-30 then rises to 48V, and when you start, it again drops to 20v. What advise in this case? Apply a photo of Ficm, visually everything is in order ....

Attached Images   
Old 12-30-2017, 06:16 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,513 Likes on 1,747 Posts
Saw your first post in Dr. Quad's thread.

Did you do as Yahiko advised: "check the 50A fuse in the CJB (Central Junction Box) F2.03 That is the fuse box in the cab unlike the newer trucks that have it in the BJB (Battery Junction Box) Check the fuse with a meter."?

It is most likely that your FICM itself has failed. You can try repairing it per Dr. Quad's thread, but IMO that still leaves areas that could fail in the unit. Also, if you mess up, it might not be fixable by the pros like FICMrepair.com.

Not sure what options exist in Belarus (if that is where you are) but the best thing for you to do (IMO) is find a known good FICM and install it to verify that your problems are solved. Do you have access to a known good module?

Next best option is to just send the FICM in to FICMrepair.com. As Yahiko said, it will come back better than new. To begin with, they test and repair both the power board and the logic board.

The next best thing for you might be to order a power board for it, but be aware that the logic board also fails more commonly then you would think.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:38 AM
RusLAN
New User
Originally Posted by bismic
Saw your first post in Dr. Quad's thread.

Did you do as Yahiko advised: "check the 50A fuse in the CJB (Central Junction Box) F2.03 That is the fuse box in the cab unlike the newer trucks that have it in the BJB (Battery Junction Box) Check the fuse with a meter."?

It is most likely that your FICM itself has failed. You can try repairing it per Dr. Quad's thread, but IMO that still leaves areas that could fail in the unit. Also, if you mess up, it might not be fixable by the pros like FICMrepair.com.

Not sure what options exist in Belarus (if that is where you are) but the best thing for you to do (IMO) is find a known good FICM and install it to verify that your problems are solved. Do you have access to a known good module?

Next best option is to just send the FICM in to FICMrepair.com. As Yahiko said, it will come back better than new. To begin with, they test and repair both the power board and the logic board.

The next best thing for you might be to order a power board for it, but be aware that the logic board also fails more commonly then you would think.
Still there is a moment. Earlier, when the ignition was switched on, a "crackling" sound was heard from the engine compartment for 5-10 seconds. Now this sound is not ... Is this related to the non-working FICM ???

Old 12-30-2017, 06:54 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Have you checked the battery and alternator cables to verify they are in good shape and all connections are tight? This includes the ground cables?

I would hate to do any more guessing than that - check for electrical cable and wire harness chafing.

I have not ever heard of crackling sounds specifically related to a failing FICM (if that is your question), but I suppose an internal component failure on the FICM could make a sound of some sort when/if it shorted out.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:54 AM
RusLAN
New User
Originally Posted by bismic
Have you checked the battery and alternator cables to verify they are in good shape and all connections are tight? This includes the ground cables?

I would hate to do any more guessing than that - check for electrical cable and wire harness chafing.

I have not ever heard of crackling sounds specifically related to a failing FICM (if that is your question), but I suppose an internal component failure on the FICM could make a sound of some sort when/if it shorted out.
About the sound when the ignition is turned on, it's the cracking of the injectors. So they are not signaled by FICM, if I understand correctly ... I'll try to find the same car with a working FICM and try to put it and start a car.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:38 AM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Can't get a new power board for the 7 pin FICM. It has to be fixed,or you can get a good used one and put it in

Old 12-30-2017, 11:55 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Per4mance
Can't get a new power board for the 7 pin FICM. It has to be fixed,or you can get a good used one and put it in
Nice post Bill. Forgot that one!

Old 12-30-2017, 03:56 PM
wedge542
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If he has a before sep 04 its a 7 pin correct? Cant a 4 pin complete ficm work in place of a 7 pin?

Old 12-30-2017, 04:04 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Yes, the FICM's can be swapped both ways

Old 01-01-2018, 12:30 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Bring it to a radio/TV repair guy or someone that is familiar with electronics repair. Commonly the highlighted resistors become unsoldered and just needs to be reattached. There are 4 of them so it's 8 joints that need to be soldered. You could also replace the resistors if you can get them. There is also the option of replacing the board for a fraction of the cost of the whole unit. But if you find another FICM, from any truck will work.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:56 PM
RusLAN
New User
Thank you all very much for your advice! I will try to find a working FICM and check it on my car. And I'll try to solder the resistors.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:14 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
On that solder. You are better off removing all the solder and
re-soldering a new resistor with fresh solder. The solder that was
used when the FICMs were built sort of sucks. It like the crap
used in the overhead displays that quit all the time.

You might also try calling FICMrepair and see what it would cost.
FICMRepair.com - FORD Powerstroke 6.0 FICM Repair, PHP Tuning and Truck Parts

Old 01-02-2018, 12:26 AM
RusLAN
New User
Originally Posted by Yahiko
On that solder. You are better off removing all the solder and
re-soldering a new resistor with fresh solder. The solder that was
used when the FICMs were built sort of sucks. It like the crap
used in the overhead displays that quit all the time.

You might also try calling FICMrepair and see what it would cost.
FICMRepair.com - FORD Powerstroke 6.0 FICM Repair, PHP Tuning and Truck Parts
Where can I just find such new resistors in Belarus or just solder the old ones? What are the characteristics of this resistor?

Old 01-02-2018, 12:36 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by RusLAN
Where can I just find such new resistors in Belarus or just solder the old ones? What are the characteristics of this resistor?
You'll have to hunt around.These are the one Motorcraft uses.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:24 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
I know that Ed does international shipping and if he can't get something to you
I would still call and have a talk with him or you can do email and save on the toll
calling. Ed is a really good guy and has given a lot back to 6.0L community.

The trick with the resistors is getting the right service temp rating. That and the
brittle solder is part of the failure. Also if your want to do it right there are some
capacitors that should also be replaced..

I just thought of someone that got stuff from Ed that is not that far from you in world
terms. Also your not to only one over that way in the world.
Euroman here is his indo page >>> https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/member.php?u=759483
had a FICM go belly up on him. Here is the thread >>> https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ficm-down.html
Not sure what route he ended up going with.

Quick Reply: FICM 7 pin problem F-250! HELP!!!!!!!