1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

'58 F-100 Restoration Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 06:51 PM
oldbleu
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
'58 F-100 Restoration Project

I purchased my '58 F-100 a little over two years ago. It wasn't running when I towed it home, but getting it operational wasn't much of a problem. The plan was to drive the truck until I was able to round up the majority of the parts needed to do a frame up restoration. The truck was built in Ford's Long Beach assembly plant in April of 1958. It came equipped with a 292 V-8, 3 speed transmission and a radio. Otherwise, it was a basic half ton truck with a Styleside bed.

I did not have to pay any extra for the damaged sheetmetal or the "custom" hubcaps. The tires were shot, the lights did not work and the engine would not stay running. Typical stuff for an old, neglected truck.

A little tinkering had the truck running once again and it continued to run rather well until the tear down began. This is what it looked like just before I got serious about starting the restoration process.

It took me about a week to get the truck ready for the four mile trip down to the hot rod shop where the real work would take place.

I removed just about everything possible. As you can see, all that was left was the cab, bed, frame and suspension.

Once the truck arrived at the shop, it didn't take long for them to finish taking everything apart. Although the frame was a little on the greasy side, it showed no signs of cracking or damage. The next day it was off for a media blast.

Once the frame returned to the shop, it was put on the frame table where it is now in the process of getting set up for the next part of the build. The plan is to remove most of the stock cross braces and then box the frame from one end to the other. Then the new suspension will be installed.

That is where we are as of today. I hope to continue with more on this build as the process progresses.

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-18-2017, 09:45 PM
F100 '64
Tuned
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Very nice truck, looking forward to your build.
Pat

Old 12-19-2017, 06:15 AM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Looks like a great truck to start with and you are off to a great start. Keep going!

Old 12-19-2017, 11:39 PM
oldbleu
More Turbo
While I am waiting for the next development with the frame, I will try posting a few pictures of the suspension parts.

Above is the IFS assembly which I purchased from the Roadster Shop near Chicago. It came assembled in a custom made crate and traveled by truck out to the Left Coast. So far, it has not been removed from the crate.

The front end has Afco coil over shocks, Wilwood disk brakes and spindles. It also has a built in torsion bar style anti-roll (sway) bar.

The rear suspension is a four link setup also made by the Roadster Shop. It incorporates Afco coil-overs and Wilwood disk brakes. The rearend housing was made by Currie Industries and features a Ford Performance third member with a Truetrac carrier and 31 spline Currie axles. I still have not decided on a steering column, but there is no rush at the moment.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:01 AM
1armbanditrrt
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That suspension set up is bad a$$.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:12 AM
flhx06
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That is a very cool suspension...this will be a fun build to watch! Keep it going!

Old 12-21-2017, 06:58 PM
adam Thatcher
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That’s a super clean 58 looking forward to seeing this build progress

Old 12-21-2017, 07:10 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 638 Likes on 571 Posts
You are going to have to change your vanity plate to "NewBlu"! Ha!

Old 12-22-2017, 01:04 AM
oldbleu
More Turbo
I have had the "OLD BLEU" license plate for over 40 years. It has been on cars, trucks and even a motorhome. After all of this time, it would be hard to give up.

Old 12-24-2017, 03:59 PM
oldbleu
More Turbo
Things are kind of slow around here on the day before Christmas so I thought I would post a few pictures of the drive train.

The engine is a new 351 Windsor crate motor which has a Ford Explorer roller camshaft. The short block is a basic Ford assembly which was built for a late model van. The distributor is a Ford EEC IV model that has been re-curved and modified with a "Melonized" gear. Compression ratio is around 9:1 with the aluminum Ford Racing heads. Ignition will be of the CD variety to go with a Holley throttle body fuel injection.

The serpentine accessory setup was something I engineered with help from several sources. The alternator is a 125 amp Ford small body model and the power steering pump is from KRC. The water pump is a FlowKooler reverse rotation item with a Ford van pulley.

The transmission is a Ford AOD out of a 1993 Thunderbird. This is one of the last AOD's produced so it has all of the factory upgrades. It was completely rebuilt at Mikes Transmissions in Lancaster, California. A new old stock pump was installed along with many other modifications designed to improve reliability. The trans is now capable of handling much more that the 351 will ever be putting out. Lokar throttle and TV linkage will round out the installation.

I would have liked to install a Coyote motor in this project but the $$$$ factor was too much at the moment. I spent too much on the chassis to be in a position to toss another fifteen grand at the engine. I am hoping the 351 / AOD combination will prove to be satisfactory.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:42 PM
Fauj
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Really enjoying your project! Love the suspension and the drivetrain. I have had some experience with AOD's behind a slightly warmer than stock engine. They are sort of weird in the way 3rd and 4th are tied together. I ended using a B&M converter that split them. I think it was a 2400 stall model. It ran Ok, but I never got around to making it behave the way I wanted in the truck I had it in. It just wasn't a good match for what I was trying to do. I always told myself that if I were to run an A/T in another vehicle, I would get a 4R70 with an adjustable controller.

I would love to see some more pics and info on the P/S pump set up.

Looking forward to seeing the progress!

Happy Holidays!

Jeff

Last edited by Fauj; 12-24-2017 at 07:46 PM. Reason: readability
Old 12-24-2017, 10:07 PM
oldbleu
More Turbo
I agree, the AOD can be a little temperamental. I believe it was the last Ford automatic that does not rely on electronics to operate. I am trying to avoid using an elaborate engine / transmission management system, but I want the benefits of the overdrive and I want to keep it simple. If I ever install a Coyote motor, I will bite the bullet and go with a complete electronic engine control system and computer.

In my case, the converter is stock (rebuilt) and the engine is pretty mild. My emphasis is on reliability. Getting the "throttle valve" linkage adjusted just right is critical. I will try to cover that aspect of the build when the time comes. I appreciate your input.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:57 PM
Fauj
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I understand entirely... That was why I went with the AOD in my 67. The throttle valve pressure is pretty easy to set. I used a 0-100 psi mechanical oil pressure gauge. Check, check, test drive and re-check. lol

Old 12-27-2017, 03:03 AM
oldbleu
More Turbo
I will try to post some better pictures of the power steering pump.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:09 AM
dman2008
Posting Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
This is a great build, she's going to drive amazing with the new IFS and rumble nice with that 351. My 64 has a 4R70W and I love the overdrive, I have heard that you can take the 4R70W(post 1998) internals and install them in the AOD to get all the updates and not have the electronics. Keep the progress pics coming, I need some stimulation since I haven't been able to work on my 57 lately.

D

Quick Reply: '58 F-100 Restoration Project