2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Driver's Battery Leaking (check yours) Corroded Cables Disintegrating Clamp

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 04:25 PM
CA Viking
5th Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
After reading this thread, I went out and took a look at my batteries for my 2017 F250. I was surprised to see both driver side and pass were leaking. The driver side connecting clamp is so corroded I can't remove it from the post. In fact, as I apply a little pressure I can actually see the post breaking off the battery and cracks all around the base. I sent an e-mail to my service advisor who immediately reminded me I was now a month and a half out of warranty and he was unaware of this being a common issue. A good buddy of mine had a similar problem but he was told the entire cable harness is too short and as the truck accelerates the cable puts pressure on the post and eventually causes cracks. After his truck being in the shop for 2 months waiting for a new harness they ended up making one on site and completing the repair. I just sent another (strongly worded) e - mail to my service guy...

Old 10-23-2020, 08:01 AM
Flyguy30263
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I need advise as to what to do next. The story: 6-8 months ago while installing LED bulbs I noticed my drivers side battery hold down bracket had corrosion on it so I pulled the battery, cleaned and repainted the bracket, cleaned the battery box and reinstalled. I never even thought about it being a warrantee issue until I stumbled across this thread. This past week I noticed the passenger side was corroding, checked the drivers side, corroded again. I called the dealership and service writer said bring it in for new batteries. The service writer calls yesterday saying they completed the carpet recall but the service manager wouldn't replace the batteries because they test good and " batteries are supposed to vent". When I went to pick up the truck I was barely able to speak to the service writer because he had phone calls, people coming and going and to be honest I think he knew the service manger was wrong and didn't want to talk about it. I didn't buy my truck from this dealership and I'm 500 miles from being out of the 36 month/36000 mile warrantee so I feel like that had something to do with the batteries not being replaced, they didn't even clean up the corrosion. Appears they tested the batteries and that's it. I was asked 2 different times if I bough the truck from them. Feels like they know in 500 miles I'll have no warrantee and no leg to stand on. They had my truck for 3 days and it's a pain to get someone to pick me up and then take me back. After reading thru this thread again and SO many dealerships replacing batteries without hesitation I'm even more pissed and want ideas on what to do next in making a complaint with Ford. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-23-2020, 08:07 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,200 Likes on 574 Posts
They may have done you a favor. The replacements will leak just like the OE batteries did. IMO, the best option is to go to Odyssey AGMs and forget about it. That said, if it's worth your time, I'd try another dealer and get two fresh ones... and THEN go to the Odyssey batteries. Then you can sell the two new ones on CL or FB to help recoup some of the AGM cost. This is what I did...

Old 10-23-2020, 08:07 AM
eryoung
Tuned
Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
My truck in signature has been in 3 times for "leaking drivers side battery) last time 1 month ago went in for leaky front valve stems and told them to check the battery (still under warranty) tested and cleaned the area with some purple stuff. Service manager said its normal for batteries to vent.

Old 10-23-2020, 08:13 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,200 Likes on 574 Posts
It's normal for standard flooded batteries to vent. It's not normal for them to vent so much that they accumulate corrosion which can corrode not only the hold down bracket but also the battery cables. I wouldn't let it go because the service manager said it was normal. It would seem that it's only "normal" on Ford SD trucks...

Old 10-23-2020, 08:16 AM
eryoung
Tuned
Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by System
It's normal for standard flooded batteries to vent. It's not normal for them to vent so much that they accumulate corrosion which can corrode not only the hold down bracket but also the battery cables. I wouldn't let it go because the service manager said it was normal. It would seem that it's only "normal" on Ford SD trucks...
Yeah I agree, it's to bad I used to like my dealer, they really have gone down hill. I got the extended warranty when I purchased it New from them in 2017. ugh

Old 10-23-2020, 12:30 PM
CA Viking
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Flyguy30263
I need advise as to what to do next. The story: 6-8 months ago while installing LED bulbs I noticed my drivers side battery hold down bracket had corrosion on it so I pulled the battery, cleaned and repainted the bracket, cleaned the battery box and reinstalled. I never even thought about it being a warrantee issue until I stumbled across this thread. This past week I noticed the passenger side was corroding, checked the drivers side, corroded again. I called the dealership and service writer said bring it in for new batteries. The service writer calls yesterday saying they completed the carpet recall but the service manager wouldn't replace the batteries because they test good and " batteries are supposed to vent". When I went to pick up the truck I was barely able to speak to the service writer because he had phone calls, people coming and going and to be honest I think he knew the service manger was wrong and didn't want to talk about it. I didn't buy my truck from this dealership and I'm 500 miles from being out of the 36 month/36000 mile warrantee so I feel like that had something to do with the batteries not being replaced, they didn't even clean up the corrosion. Appears they tested the batteries and that's it. I was asked 2 different times if I bough the truck from them. Feels like they know in 500 miles I'll have no warrantee and no leg to stand on. They had my truck for 3 days and it's a pain to get someone to pick me up and then take me back. After reading thru this thread again and SO many dealerships replacing batteries without hesitation I'm even more pissed and want ideas on what to do next in making a complaint with Ford. Thanks in advance.
As several have already stated; it's normal for batteries to vent but not to the point of causing major corrosion. the dealer who reluctantly worked on mine was not the one I purchased the truck from. In fact, the purchase dealership, much like yours, was several hundred miles away. My truck was also "just" outside of warranty. The service rep only changed his mine about working on my truck after I mentioned I wanted to speak to someone with authority and I had made a point that my truck had previously been in their shop and no one had mentioned the battery corrosion. Long story short, they replaced my batteries AND had to rebuild a portion of the harness as the corrosion had worked its way up the cables. As soon as I picked up my truck I drove to an auto parts store and purchased two new Odyssey AGMs, now I don't have to worry about it. Good luck.

Old 10-23-2020, 12:31 PM
CA Viking
5th Wheeling
What "System" says is spot on!

Old 10-26-2020, 07:18 AM
Flyguy30263
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the advice fellows.

Old 10-26-2020, 07:38 AM
~erik~
Tuned
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
It's not just the diesel trucks with two batteries that have that problem. My three year old 6.2 gas engined truck had it too. It started cranking sorta slow in the morning last week so I got a new DieHard battery from Advance Auto Parts. The positive terminal and the hold down were covered with corrosion. They cleaned both, but I'll check them in a few weeks and do more cleaning if needed.