6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Battery leaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 11:20 AM
tryingaford
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery leaking

My truck is almost a year old with 12,000 miles and while changing oil yesterday i noticed the passenger side battery has been leaking and corroded the hold down bracket.

So I could clean it up, get rid of the corrosion, check to see if the battery was overfilled from the factory and move on, or I could go to the dealer and ask them about replacing the battery and the bracket under warranty. Does this warrant a stop by the dealer? I guess I'm just wondering what you guys would do. Thanks, here's a pic

Old 09-08-2013, 12:18 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Yes... Take it back to the dealer for a replacement battery and bracket.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:42 PM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,564 Likes on 1,425 Posts
I agree with Troy

Old 09-08-2013, 01:04 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Take it back..I would have them checking the charging system to see if it is over charging.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:36 PM
wiedsworld
Junior User
My 2011 did the same thing on drivers side. I didn't notice it until I was getting ready to trade it in. Mine corroded all the way across the bracket.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:24 PM
Jus2shy
Elder User
Doesn't look like leaking to me, looks like normal hydrogen venting. At least I've observed this on many batteries I've owned in the past. Happened on my old Saturn Sky and Wife' Subaru. I don't know about Ford's warranty (never looked in my owner's manual) but most manufacturers don't warranty batteries past 90 days for OEM. Doesn't hurt to ask though.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:00 PM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just went and bought new brackets and got new "maintenance free" flooded batteries... I didn't want to bother with warranty.

In an automotive environment, I don't need to worry about maintaining batteries, which is why I went with the sealed top. The other reason was that I order enough industrial batteries (forklift/telecom/switchgear) that I got two Group 65 900CCAs for a good 'ah don't worry about it' deal.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:41 PM
tryingaford
Freshman User
Thanks for the replays everyone. I might just have them take a look at it and see what they say. Thanks again.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:48 PM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine did the same thing. I wire brushed and repainted but it will happen again. Interested to see if the dealer gives you a 'deer in the headlights' look or actually fixes it.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:29 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Mine have been slowly leaking for a year.
The bracket is fine but I'm just now beginning to see corrosion on the posts.
Cleaned some of that off two weeks ago.
Batteries were installed at the factory May 2010.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:46 AM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Clean it up and spray some Fluid Film on it from time to time. Every Superduty I have owned or maintained did this to some extent and it is always the right battery. It is first in line on the circuit and seems to take the brunt of the charge/discharge. I seriously doubt that the average dealer will even consider it anything less than normal maintenance.

If it makes you feel any better, I don't recall ever having a problem with premature failure on the right battery from this. It is more or less just a cosmetic inconvenience.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:32 AM
SultanGris
Elder User
Originally Posted by 720Deere
Clean it up and spray some Fluid Film on it from time to time. Every Superduty I have owned or maintained did this to some extent and it is always the right battery. It is first in line on the circuit and seems to take the brunt of the charge/discharge. I seriously doubt that the average dealer will even consider it anything less than normal maintenance.

If it makes you feel any better, I don't recall ever having a problem with premature failure on the right battery from this. It is more or less just a cosmetic inconvenience.
Interesting. I dont want to have this problem and Im not a battery expert but I though pretty much only maintenance free batteries existed today. Over charging cause this? What effect might that have on a sealed battery or a battery like the yellow top Optima gel cell for example? The thought of battery corrosion leaking all over under my hood does not excite me.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:03 PM
Jus2shy
Elder User
Originally Posted by SultanGris
Interesting. I dont want to have this problem and Im not a battery expert but I though pretty much only maintenance free batteries existed today. Over charging cause this? What effect might that have on a sealed battery or a battery like the yellow top Optima gel cell for example? The thought of battery corrosion leaking all over under my hood does not excite me.
It's the hydrogen gas that flood-filled batteries vent whenever they discharge. That's what causes the corrosion on metal. On my RAM and F150, I use battery terminal protectant which is roughly the same thing as fluid film. It leaves a thin layer of grease to keep the hydrogen from coming into contact with the terminals. It works and only needs to be sprayed every 6 months to keep-up protection. It's very effective and a lesson I learned when I owned my Saturn Sky. It's even worse on that car because the battery chamber has very poor venting for the hydrogen, so it lingers longer and corrodes the terminals even more. However, Ford's trucks tend to have more room for venting so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just the parts immediately close to the vents on the battery would be subject to corrosion. You could get an aluminum tie-down and when that corrodes, you can just buff it out. Or do just as others have and clean and re-spray them (that's what I did for my wife's Subaru).

Technically, "Most" batteries are "Maintenance Free". That doesn't mean that they have an unlimited life or that they don't vent hydrogen though. As for the Optima batteries you're siting, they use a different chemistry called "Absorbed Glass Mat" or "AGM" for short. They don't vent as they are a dry-cell battery, no liquids floating around. In transit, these tend to have a much longer life versus the flooded acid batteries that are typically on the market. I love AGM batteries but they are pricey compared to your typical flood-filled battery. Also on my wife's subaru, we swapped out her OEM battery for an Optima when it was giving up. The Optima did not vent at all as I mentioned earlier and there were no real corrosion issues. I still sprayed the terminals with that battery protectant to keep the copper from turning green. I don't like all that "Patina".

Old 04-18-2018, 10:06 AM
Rebel1996
New User
2015 Platinum Super Duty batteries leaking Anyone with this problem should file a NTSB complaint.

Passenger side battery, acid leaking and corrosion. Cable still intact

Driver side battery acid leakage corrosion broke the cable lose from the terminal. The acid has also corroded the brackets of both batteries. Over $1800 in damage from the two batteries leaking acid.

This is a $70k 2015 truck that is less than 3 years old. Well maintained and totally stock.
i am very concerned and irritated with Ford. Both my batteries are factory installed in a truck less than 36 months old and BOTH have catastrophic acid leaks. In spite of this being less than 36 months old, and having been serviced recently at the Ford dealership Ford is declining to repair the damage or replace the two motorcraft batteries.
The statistical odds of two young batteries leaking massive amounts of acid in a 100% stock, well maintained 2015 truck as a non defect are impossible. I was quoted $1870 out of pocket to fix this, even though I have a Ford ESP 5 year 100,000 warranty.

This is also dangerous, the corrosion was quick and resulted in one 2 gauge cable breaking lose and being able to short out the other battery.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

I am seeing many other folks have posted similar problems but the NHTSA doesn’t appear to have any complaints filed yet.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:37 AM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not exactly my definition of well maintained. I am constantly pouring a baking soda solution on my battery terminals to keep corrosion down. Just part of having flooded cell batteries..

Quick Reply: Battery leaking