Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

PO 196??

 
  #1  
Old 12-15-2017, 12:26 PM
Firefighter 1406's Avatar
Firefighter 1406
Firefighter 1406 is offline
Postmaster
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 4,904
Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.
PO 196??

Started the truck with the remote start this morning. Was 22 degrees this morning and truck had been plugged in all night. Ran for 10 min before I came out and I had a check engine light on. Ran the codes through my SCT Livewire and saw PO 196. I searched on here and the web. Anybody have any insight on this?
 
  #2  
Old 12-15-2017, 03:42 PM
slowmans's Avatar
slowmans
slowmans is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,694
slowmans has a good reputation on FTE.slowmans has a good reputation on FTE.
P0196 Engine Oil Temperature Sensor Circuit Range/Performance

I would be willing to bet it was because the ruck was plugged in and the difference in the oil/coolant temp was different.

Found this online:

Description:
This error occurs if time required for EOT to warm up to
50 C is greater than the specified value or the EOT does
not change by at least 2 degrees from the value stored
in KAM, followed with the engine running off low idle.

Software parameters required to set code:
EOT dependant
20minutes of engine running and EOT
has not changed more than 5 deg C
 
  #3  
Old 12-15-2017, 04:01 PM
Firefighter 1406's Avatar
Firefighter 1406
Firefighter 1406 is offline
Postmaster
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 4,904
Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by slowmans View Post
P0196 Engine Oil Temperature Sensor Circuit Range/Performance

I would be willing to bet it was because the ruck was plugged in and the difference in the oil/coolant temp was different.

Found this online:

Description:
This error occurs if time required for EOT to warm up to
50 C is greater than the specified value or the EOT does
not change by at least 2 degrees from the value stored
in KAM, followed with the engine running off low idle.

Software parameters required to set code:
EOT dependant
20minutes of engine running and EOT
has not changed more than 5 deg C
Weird. Thank you for the info. So you mean that all winter long I am gonna get this code probably? I always plug in the truck.
 
  #4  
Old 12-15-2017, 04:17 PM
slowmans's Avatar
slowmans
slowmans is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,694
slowmans has a good reputation on FTE.slowmans has a good reputation on FTE.
I honestly don't know? i have never plugged my truck in and have never seen the code.
 
  #5  
Old 12-15-2017, 07:08 PM
Firefighter 1406's Avatar
Firefighter 1406
Firefighter 1406 is offline
Postmaster
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 4,904
Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.
Interesting. I hope that’s all it is. I couldn’t even find any info on it at all.
 
  #6  
Old 12-20-2017, 01:06 PM
speakerfritz's Avatar
speakerfritz
speakerfritz is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,496
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406 View Post
Weird. Thank you for the info. So you mean that all winter long I am gonna get this code probably? I always plug in the truck.
what weather temps are we talking about and what weight oil are you using?


" To ensure optimum cold weather starting performance, and improve cabin heating, the 120 volt engine block heater should be
used during any cold weather operation. The engine block heater is required when the vehicle is to be started at temperatures
below -10F (-23C).
"
 
  #7  
Old 12-20-2017, 03:19 PM
sxrfun
sxrfun is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario , Canada
Posts: 542
sxrfun is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sxrfun is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I plug my truck in all the time. When at work it's plugged in all night at the station from 9pm till i leave around 7 am....I've never had this code.
 
  #8  
Old 12-21-2017, 06:35 AM
Firefighter 1406's Avatar
Firefighter 1406
Firefighter 1406 is offline
Postmaster
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 4,904
Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by speakerfritz View Post
what weather temps are we talking about and what weight oil are you using?


" To ensure optimum cold weather starting performance, and improve cabin heating, the 120 volt engine block heater should be
used during any cold weather operation. The engine block heater is required when the vehicle is to be started at temperatures
below -10F (-23C).
"

It was 15-20 degrees when started. Had been plugged in all night. I am running Delo 5W40 Full Synthetic. It’s habit from my 7.3 , I always plug in the truck. Figure any amount of heat I can get in the engine before startup the better.

I am wondering if it was a fluke. I haven’t had the code again..............so far that is.
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
4tl8ford
Large Truck
4
11-21-2009 08:25 PM
KAKER
1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
11
02-21-2005 10:22 AM
Superfarmer 250
1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
8
08-11-2003 03:13 PM
Superfarmer 250
1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
0
08-10-2003 09:19 PM
crash71us
1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
5
09-09-2002 08:38 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PO 196??


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: