6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

04. 6.0 Crank no start then start

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 01:33 PM
vfelix702
Laughing Gas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04. 6.0 Crank no start then start

ok here is the story with attached pics

i originally was towing my 32 ft travel trailer pulling a grade about 55 mph nothing serious and my boot blew off the hot side of turbo so i installed boot and continued on my way. upon start up i have an extended crank and start die. then and extended crank start and run.

Im not building enough ICP Pressure in the 2 attempts to start once running it runs fine all day unless i let it sit for 10 mins then its another long crank then start.

Anyway i did and air test at HPOP and the only place i hear air coming from is the turbo drain back tube (alot). Valve cover sides i hear a little bit of air not as much as drain pipe. i bout the wrong re seal kit and STC fitting kit i believe i. im not sure what kit to buy to tear it down further.

parts i have replaced with out diagnosis in attempt to fix is Stand Pipes and Dummy Plugs, IPR,ICP. Oil Pressure Sensor and pig tail sensor (guage dropping off after truck is running).

I have Attached pics. in hope to figure out what to replace under HPoP cover and or HPoP itself. everything i had been reading was about late 04 / 05 and up but seems to my looking at pics i have an early 04 style pump???

thank you for your help !!!!!

Attached Images       
Old 12-10-2017, 03:41 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Did the new oil pressure sensor fix the gauge issue?

I would be inclined to think your HPOP is about to die completely, I would bet if you took the oil filter out it would be making noise there as well, and rather obvious.

I would first rule out the LPO pump though, if you are not getting enough oil up to the HPOP that might explain long cranking..........still, likely you have a weak HPOP, appears you are testing at the IPR, good idea there.

You don't need the STC kit, you need a old style pump.....tell tale sign is your HPOP cover.
You have what some might call the hybrid engine, has the old style pump but updated wavy oil rails with the stand pipes and dummies, only made it in mid to late 04(?)
Get the good Adrenaline HPOP.
Not really a kit, per se, need to order HPOP gasket, Ford TA 29 or TA 31 gasket maker for the two back corners of the cover.
Turbo install kit needed as well.

Now would be the perfect time to delete the EGR cooler if you can get by with it, makes getting the HPOP cover off and on easier.

Clean, clean, clean(as in surgical clean)........before you take that cover off! Plug that return oil hole. Don't get crap in area under the HPOP cover, or it will make it's way back to the IPR screen and mess up your day.

Did you air test with the valve covers off?
That would have ruled out top injector seals and/or nipple cup o-rings, the latter not as likely.

Old 12-10-2017, 04:14 PM
mattdoc88
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Separate issue, but do you have an aftermarket oil filter/cap?

Old 12-10-2017, 04:33 PM
vfelix702
Laughing Gas

no its OEM cap and filter ill post a video shortly

Old 12-10-2017, 04:55 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
There were THREE different builds for the 2004 model year F-Series Super Duty, making parts ordering for this particular model year a monumental pain for many Ford dealership parts staff. I, have had to assist numerous times at my dealership.

Having said that, your truck appears to be the latest version of the three different builds available for the 2004 model year by the pictures you've provided. First off, the 4C3Z-9B246-F STC fitting kit is useless to you. That kit is only for '05 and up model years. The symptoms you describe, lead me to believe your HPOP itself has failed. It is pretty common for the BB on the side of the HPOP itself to fall out, completely consistent with your oil pressure gauge drop off symptom when engine speed slows down to idle. Having said that, the correct part number you need for your HPOP is 4C3Z-9A543-AARM if you are purchasing it from Ford. The correct part number for the IPR valve is CM-5054 (not CM-5126 which is for '05 and up engines). If I'm not mistaken, the replacement HPOP from Ford no longer has the BB installed at the side of the pump. They now use a tapped plug installed in its place.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:13 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by m-chan68
There were THREE different builds for the 2004 model year F-Series Super Duty, making parts ordering for this particular model year a monumental pain for many Ford dealership parts staff. I, have had to assist numerous times at my dealership.

Having said that, your truck appears to be the latest version of the three different builds available for the 2004 model year by the pictures you've provided. First off, the 4C3Z-9B246-F STC fitting kit is useless to you. That kit is only for '05 and up model years. The symptoms you describe, lead me to believe your HPOP itself has failed. It is pretty common for the BB on the side of the HPOP itself to fall out, completely consistent with your oil pressure gauge drop off symptom when engine speed slows down to idle. Having said that, the correct part number you need for your HPOP is 4C3Z-9A543-AARM if you are purchasing it from Ford. The correct part number for the IPR valve is CM-5054 (not CM-5126 which is for '05 and up engines). If I'm not mistaken, the replacement HPOP from Ford no longer has the BB installed at the side of the pump. They now use a tapped plug installed in its place.
mchan, glad you weighed in

If I can pick your brain, I thought any IPR would work on any build?

Three builds......any major differences besides the oil rails?
Not wanting to hijack the thread, but curious.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:13 PM
vfelix702
Laughing Gas

ok so here is a video of the issue. during my pressure test no oil was blowing out of oil filter housing with or with out plunger pressed. so where do i go from here. after it starts it runs fine till i let it sit for 15 mins then excessive crank then start

heres link https://photos.app.goo.gl/cTNlVorJmxRskhk92

Trending Topics

Old 12-10-2017, 05:29 PM
vfelix702
Laughing Gas

as far as the low pressure oil in the filter housing it fill up in a timely manner and stays full with drain back valve depressed. i also checked the low pressure pump spring and piston stuck a magnetic in hole and found nothing.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:35 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by navistarnut
If I can pick your brain, I thought any IPR would work on any build?
Everything you need to know can be found in this thread:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ar-owners.html

Old 12-10-2017, 05:45 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by m-chan68
Everything you need to know can be found in this thread:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ar-owners.html
Good stuff Mike, would rep you if I could.
Great thread, bookmarked.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:57 PM
mattdoc88
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vfelix702
no its OEM cap and filter ill post a video shortly
My bad, I was incorrectly thinking that it was supposed to have a square drive opening in the center like the fuel filter cover.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:45 PM
vfelix702
Laughing Gas

ok so i did an air leak test through ipr valve and found air coming out of turbo drain back tube. i pulled my HPOP Cover and found the ball bearing plug missing on the side of my pump. so i installed a new HPOP and re o ringed my J tube. now i have oil pressure on the dash gauge. truck starts right up. i looked for the ball bearing im assuming it has made its way to the oil pan as i have put 800 miles on the truck with the old pump installed until i purchased the new one. here are pics attached the overall job was not difficult. the only tools i purchased was flex head ratchets for convince but not necessary.

@ M-chan68 i wanted to say thank you for pointing my in the right direction with the diffrences in my truck being a mixture of years and parts!!! Thanks again

Attached Images        
Old 12-17-2017, 09:07 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Glad you got it going again.
Not a horrible job. Only part I don't like about the cover is sweating bullets on those HPOP bolts that you have to leave in during removal and install on a non deleted engine.