Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Fuel pressure question ....

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 04:50 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
I know my fuel pressure drops quick after the pump shuts off while waiting for the glow plugs to light. I would bet it was 3 seconds or less from 65 to 0. When I began the turn the engine over though the fuel pressure shoots back up almost instantly.

Even at heavy throttle, the PSI in my truck is near 60 PSI, although I am on stock injectors unlike Rich.

Old 11-10-2017, 04:54 PM
jstihl
Cargo Master

Received 323 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by pirschwagon
The Delta is merely the Pump Pressure Measured at the Pump, with Engine NOT running - "No load".

All following test pressures relate to that pressure [Delta] to determine where an obstruction is or perhaps a failing pump.

As for the FPR Spring - Not always the case. Eventually, the spring (all springs) will loose their ability to hold closed the Pressure Disc. The pressure at the FPR should be essentially the same as what's occurring in the Bowl for Supply. The Spring collapses until the pressure is near equal.

Some of these tests will point you in the right direction.

As for the falling pressure, is it the Feed or Return Side. You need to figure that out as well. Essentially, the pressure should maintain for a period of time as any other Fuel Injected System. These are Low Pressure Supply Systems as they are actuated by the High Pressure Oil on the Head.

How long? I don't have that answer. But, I will seek it out this weekend for you.
thank you for clarifying that, makes more sense now , sometimes i need a little more instruction than others lol. as far as the pressure goes , it the port on the fuel bowl that is post filter, and i thought it was the feed but could be wrong. maybe someone can chime in cause im not sure. so maybe the fpr isn't seating all the way closed/ open, Hence the immediate pressure drop? I think i definately have a pressure problem since im losing 10 psi at only 1/2 throttle when others are only losing around 4 psi at wot. riff raff sells a fpr spring kit with a couple of washers for about 13.00 or a oem fpr rebuild kit with more components for about 70.00. just not sure which one i would need. being that the fpr is 17 years old , i was thinking it might be a good idea to rebuild / respring anyways. im thinking of going with the expensive kit and just getting it done right. thoughts?

Old 11-10-2017, 05:00 PM
Karlow
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine reads about 58 psig. I have not noticed any other reading.
If I go and turn on the ignition it jumps up to 58 and sits there. It has been sitting a week now. If I turn it on, it will still read 58 psig. I need to check it under load to see if it dips.

Old 11-10-2017, 05:01 PM
jstihl
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Sous
I know my fuel pressure drops quick after the pump shuts off while waiting for the glow plugs to light. I would bet it was 3 seconds or less from 65 to 0. When I began the turn the engine over though the fuel pressure shoots back up almost instantly.

Even at heavy throttle, the PSI in my truck is near 60 PSI, although I am on stock injectors unlike Rich.
thanks sous, i think im definately dealing with a restriction of some sort or maybe the fuel pump is getting weak. if need be should i go with a oem bosch or are the beefed up fuel pumps better? only have stock injectors

Old 11-10-2017, 06:27 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
OEM for your use. The pump is more than capable of doing what you need it to.

Old 11-11-2017, 01:34 AM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,133 Likes on 645 Posts
Mine is like Sous' My guage is measured on the post filter port, on the passenger side of the fuel bowl drain valve. Psi normally 61, wot runs will dip to 57. My filter is almost 2 years old but only has 4k miles. Still looked clean when I checked it last month. My pre filter psi stays 2 psi higher on wot runs with much quicker swings

Old 11-11-2017, 06:41 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
The ONLY way you are going to eliminate any chance of air getting in the fuel is to fully pressurize the entire fuel supply line between the fuel TANK and the engine. Only way to do that is to relocate the fuel pump to inside the tank. I did that ten years ago on my 1999 F550 and it was the single most effective modification that I ever did for that truck.
While this is a fool-proof way to do it, with respect... I can't get behind adding any complexity inside the tank. If the pump goes, now you're dropping a tank... and hopefully it's not a loose connection. If it is, you have a decision whether to replace the pump while you're in there... or not.

Originally Posted by Colorado350
The spring does make a difference. I replaced my pump last fall because I didn't know how old it was and although there wasn't an issue it was obvious it was very tired once the new one was running.
Just for clarification for the readers: The spring sets the max fuel pressure, by bleeding off anything above that point. If the pressure dips below the spring pressure, the spring has nothing to do with that - it's all pump capacity, fuel demand, and integrity of the fuel lines.

Originally Posted by jstihl
...with koeo fuel pumps up to 58 psi but when it shuts off the presure drops to 0 with in 3 seconds, is that normal?
Perfectly normal - you can move past that.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:41 AM
jstihl
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Wesley Green
Mine is like Sous' My guage is measured on the post filter port, on the passenger side of the fuel bowl drain valve. Psi normally 61, wot runs will dip to 57. My filter is almost 2 years old but only has 4k miles. Still looked clean when I checked it last month. My pre filter psi stays 2 psi higher on wot runs with much quicker swings
ok thanks guys, I think I'm going to just throw a pump at it, it's old....

Old 11-11-2017, 06:48 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by jstihl
ok thanks guys, I think I'm going to just throw a pump at it, it's old....
Not knowing what your exact problem is that is probably the course of action I would take. It is simple to fix and relatively cheap to replace. In my short time on FTE I have seen a failing pump (not quite dead yet) do some weird things to trucks.

Let us know how it goes, and we like pictures.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:53 AM
pirschwagon
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There are a lot of aftermarket pumps out there. DON'T be FOOLED by what you read! They are JUNK! I have changed more than a few that were just months old.

Get an OEM or BOSH (who makes the OEM). anything else, your playing roulette.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:19 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The ONLY way you are going to eliminate any chance of air getting in the fuel is to fully pressurize the entire fuel supply line between the fuel TANK and the engine. Only way to do that is to relocate the fuel pump to inside the tank. I did that ten years ago on my 1999 F550 and it was the single most effective modification that I ever did for that truck.

Good to see you, Dan!

You are correct and the mod you did would take care of it.

Old 11-11-2017, 02:45 PM
jstihl
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by pirschwagon
There are a lot of aftermarket pumps out there. DON'T be FOOLED by what you read! They are JUNK! I have changed more than a few that were just months old.

Get an OEM or BOSH (who makes the OEM). anything else, your playing roulette.
10-4 I got the Bosch pump and oem fpr rebuild kit. Should have it in by next weekend, can't wait to see if I get good results. My 80 horsepower daily is much more Snappy but I'm still losing 10 to 12 PSI when I punch it

Old 11-11-2017, 02:45 PM
jstihl
Cargo Master

where did you find that in tank fuel pump? Would like to see how much one cost

Old 11-11-2017, 06:14 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
That pump is a VW unit made by Bosch. Here's Dan's original thread with PNs.

For your truck I'd swap on a new OE pump and expect to see great fuel pressure. Leave the FPR alone unless you really need to mess with it, they break easily.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:46 PM
jstihl
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
That pump is a VW unit made by Bosch. Here's Dan's original thread with PNs.

For your truck I'd swap on a new OE pump and expect to see great fuel pressure. Leave the FPR alone unless you really need to mess with it, they break easily.
ok thanks, maybe i'll just keep the fpr rebuild kit on hand. expensive parts to have laying around though. from what i have read , quite a few people had problems with the fpr, being that its 17 years old you guys don't think its a good idea to rebuild? Is there anything that will break thats not included in the rebuild kit?

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure question ....