The Junk Drawer Off Topic Threads - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

The Junk Drawer Off Topic Threads

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Old 10-25-2017, 07:21 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation

The idea in this thread is to NOT stay on topic,

Think we can manage that ?

Anyone up on frame welding?

Old 10-25-2017, 08:17 PM
wedge542
Elder User
wedge542 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I myself have not done the actual welding but when we was stretching truck frames i had input as to the outcome,but had people hired to burn the rod sorta speak, what are you stretching or fixing?

Old 10-25-2017, 08:31 PM
036.0stroke
Senior User
036.0stroke is starting off with a positive reputation.
Since its getting cold what are you guys heating your garages with

Old 10-25-2017, 09:08 PM
diesel_dan
FTE Addict
diesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to behold
I have two welders a Miller 130 and a cheap-o Chicago Electric Mig (220V). Don't know how to use either one, if that helps any....

Old 10-25-2017, 09:08 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Benchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to all
That's too funny

Who's up to washing a truck? anyone, Bueler?

Old 10-25-2017, 09:34 PM
wedge542
Elder User
i heated my truck shops with 150k btu blower heaters,3 per shop, sometimes drivers would give us fuel if a big co truck,they done great,kept a smaller one on our service trucks so when in the field thow hands or air lines.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:43 PM
87crewdually
Post Fiend
87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 036.0stroke View Post
Since its getting cold what are you guys heating your garages with
Body heat. If you're cold you're not working hard enough. I have a propane fired forced hot air that doesn't vent properly and almost killed me....... twice. So o don't use it.
Pulled a 6.9, trans, and t-case in one shot today. The rest is pretty much junk.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:46 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by wedge542 View Post
I myself have not done the actual welding but when we was stretching truck frames i had input as to the outcome,but had people hired to burn the rod sorta speak, what are you stretching or fixing?
I am thinking after the frame gets back to being straight I may need
a reinforcement patch behind the radius arm bracket.

For heating I use one of the BIG torpedo heaters. It will run on anything diesel like.
For the most part I just use kero because diesel gives me a headache. and once it warm
I go back to the electric 240V shop heater to hold it.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:56 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
My 20yo welder looks new. No doors on the farm garage so no need for heat. The mass quantity of lights in my garage keeps it warm.

Looks a little tail heavy Pete. Ya need a backhoe.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:03 PM
87crewdually
Post Fiend
87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold
Prob 1300#s+. That's the only way to get it all out in one piece. The chassis is so rotted I didn't want to waste time under it. It has sway back so bad it was pinching the doors from the bed being into the cab so hard. Yet the passenger door, fender, and bed side is practically rust free. With only 78k miles it's a shame but it lived it's life as a yard plowtruck.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:04 PM
wedge542
Elder User
Originally Posted by TooManyToys. View Post
My 20yo welder looks new. No doors on the farm garage so no need for heat. The mass quantity of lights in my garage keeps it warm.

Looks a little tail heavy Pete. Ya need a backhoe.
Jack,this is nothing to do with a 6.0 but maybe you can give some advise,i have a flatbed trailer with a 18k winch up front and i use a block pulley to double that,been useing group 31 screw down batts out of big trucks, a guy in the battery business said he has a 12v railroad loco battery he would sale cheap,do you know anything about these type batts like cca,reserve caps,the truck batts have 900 cca we charge from the truck.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:42 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
Yeah, thereís a good rust pile under the Pass headlight area.

Mark, I donít really know anything about them. In researching a different starting cable system for our trucks I recently came up with seriously robust and expensive railroad starter terminals. So I looked around at their batteries, but it seems like there are a lot of different sizes depending on the layout. These the modern big guys.

At the test facility I set up a 12k winch with a block pulley to test class 8 parking ability (FMVSS 121) drawbar test and used a that held up well. You had to do full rotation pulls, 3x, then reverse. I tried double car batts, but they didnít work that well.

I may have a pic.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:08 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
No "at home" pics showing the setup with the battery.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:13 PM
wedge542
Elder User
Ill get more info soon as i go look at it,after looking online it seems loco batts are 8 volt and just keep adding together to get what they want,this guy said his is a 12v so im thinking he meant a railroad battery and that could have come from anything to do with rr equip and not a locomotive.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:05 AM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
There were a ton of different setups.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Junk Drawer Off Topic Threads

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.