Hitch Falure - Page 7 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Hitch Falure

Old 01-11-2019, 08:25 AM
Postmaster
99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by jsm180 View Post
An FYI for anyone installing a Goosebox, If your wing set uses 2" vertical spacing you have to drill an additional hole in the Goosebox. Only the rear holes are drilled at 2" spacing, the spacing on the front holes is 2.5" and 3". The instructions are not very clear and Reese is now aware of it. No idea why they didn't punch another hole in each side.
Also, the Goosebox is drilled for 4 bolts per side.......mine now has 6 grade 8, 5/8 inch bolts per side. Probably overkill, but so be it!

Old 01-12-2019, 04:13 PM
ssunit1
Elder User
ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by 87crewdually View Post
I think it's mostly sold to those 3 x's a year towing crowd. After all they all seem to brag how easy it is to remove. I tow alot, why would I want to remove it? I have not seen one in use yet at a campground. Just my thought & opinion.
I initially had a Reese 20K slider and tried only once to remove it myself. I am now on my 2nd AUH. I tow my 5th wheel a lot more than 3 s's a year and yes, the ease of being able to remove the hitch quickly and easily was the main attraction for me after I almost had a hernia trying to move the Reese.
I actually use my truck for other things than a place to store my hitch.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:12 AM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Army RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to behold
In my case the jury is still out. While I will not claim my AUH provides a more satisfying towing experience, I will say that it provides a MUCH easier option for a removing/ reinstalling experience. And for those who are short on payload weight allowances the AUH provides a great alternative: 40# vs 200+#, that's huge.

Short of numerous demonstrated failures I suspect it's (along with its' inevitable clones) the future way of connecting 5vr's.
Progress comes in increments.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:09 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Army RET View Post
Short of numerous demonstrated failures I suspect it's (along with its' inevitable clones) the future way of connecting 5vr's.
Progress comes in increments.
Where the AUH may fall short is that it doesn't provide any softening of the ride like the Goosebox can. How much of a factor that is I have no idea.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:46 AM
Skip1970
Post Fiend
Skip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputation
i bet they put thicker tubes on that aluminum one to make it stronger.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:15 PM
ssunit1
Elder User
ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
Where the AUH may fall short is that it doesn't provide any softening of the ride like the Goosebox can. How much of a factor that is I have no idea.
Compares to my original Reese 20k slider hitch the AUH is MUCH smoother riding. No chucking and a lot more solid feel.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:09 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
I don't have the AUH hitch, heck I don't even have a 5th wheel trailer. But eventually I hope to. While at the RV show last week I happened upon the PullRite factory rep. He didn't have a booth. Instead he was camped out under the front of a 5th wheel trailer. It was kind of a random encounter. He did his spiel on the PullRite SuperLite hitch, similar to the AUH.

Maybe I wasn't "getting" it but he said that they have plates (aka Bed Saver Rails) that go under the front and rear edges of the hitch to minimize impact to the bed. In response to that I asked why they don't use the pucks provided by the 5th wheel prep. It seems to me that using the pucks would eliminate any flex from the hitch that could damage the bed. His response was that then they would have to make a hitch that is specific to every manufacturer. What, like all three of them??? When I eventually get my 5th wheel I want something that works with the OEM 5th wheel prep system. I don't want to have to put in rails. Keep it simple: slip the hitch into the pucks, secure it and go.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:16 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Army RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to behold

You don't need a four point attachment when you have a single gooseneck attachment point (included with the puck system); and it'd transfer across all sorts of different trucks.
Has anyone mentioned how easy this would be to transfer to another truck? Even a caveman ...

Old 01-13-2019, 09:20 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
Based on what the rep said the hitch will flex, even though attached to the gooseneck ball. That's why they have the plates which minimize damage to the bed.

There are three manufacturers of trucks that can pull trailers at the rated capacity of the PullRite hitch. I want something that works with MY truck and won't damage the bed.